PDA

View Full Version : Cycling around Virginia Beach

rice rocket
09-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Last minute decision to bring my bike to VA Beach, leaving in 4 hours. I figure why not.

Any recommendations on places/routes to ride? Can I make it down into North Carolina to Cape Hatteras-area by bike going down the shore (i.e. no highways)? Is it navigable on my 23c skinnies?

Thanks.

Edit: Looks like Cape Hatteras, the city, is pretty far for a one day ride, but perhaps down to Kitty Hawk/Nags Head?

Lifelover
09-09-2011, 05:31 AM
Last minute decision to bring my bike to VA Beach, leaving in 4 hours. I figure why not.

Any recommendations on places/routes to ride? Can I make it down into North Carolina to Cape Hatteras-area by bike going down the shore (i.e. no highways)? Is it navigable on my 23c skinnies?

Thanks.

Edit: Looks like Cape Hatteras, the city, is pretty far for a one day ride, but perhaps down to Kitty Hawk/Nags Head?

Depends on where you are staying but unless you love fighting traffic with no shoulder, you will need to head out to Pungo.

I'm pretty sure the tbarides.org site has some route maps. You can check the virginia Beach Fat Frogs LBS website for group rides.

There is no beach road that goes from Virginia Beach to anywhere. There are Naval Bases north and south of us along the beach that prevented road access.

Saab is riding out of here some, you may want to contact him via PM to see if he is here this weekend. He is a good guy and would most likely be willing to ride you around if he is available.

BobC
09-09-2011, 07:26 AM
You can do ride to the OBX from Va Beach. Done it plenty of times.

Generally you ride through the Fentress area, hook up with Rt 168, then cut off onto to Tulls Creek Road once you hit Moyock. Tulls Creek Road keeps you off the the major road for a while then dumps you back onto 168.

Ain't a bad ride after labor day traffic-wise-- pray for a north wind as it is extremely tough going if it is coming from the south. But if the wind is at your back, you positively fly down the road.

To be fair, both Pungo & Fentress offer better, more secluded riding. I would recommend doing that before 168.

ultraman6970
09-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Rice rocket u will need a boat instead of a bike around these. is raining a lot.

rustychain
09-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Was not rt 12 distroyed in the hurricane?

BobC
09-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Was not rt 12 distroyed in the hurricane?

Yes, but way down by Hatteras Island. Miles & miles south of Kitty Hawk.

Duck, up on the northern part of OBX, was also flooded (ironically by the winds pushing water up from the sound vice from the ocean), but I have heard is rideable -- just some debris in roads which might already be cleared.

rice rocket
09-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Man, I'm in a bad spot. I'm at the 264/64 intersection, and none of these roads look reasonably rideable. I was gonna try and make some TBA rides, but they all start in Norfolk or closer to the shore. I'm sort of caught in the no man's land.

Lifelover
09-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Man, I'm in a bad spot. I'm at the 264/64 intersection, and none of these roads look reasonably rideable. I was gonna try and make some TBA rides, but they all start in Norfolk or closer to the shore. I'm sort of caught in the no man's land.

From a riding stand point you are in a waste land. I grew up with in a mile or so from there and would only consider riding fat tires on the side walks in that area.

If all else fails and you are still here, Sunday mornings before 10:00 AM you can ride damn near anywhere in the city.

Get up early and take Virginia Beach Blvd east to the ocean front. Once on Atlantic head north to 64 street and ride into First landing state park. There is a short paved road that will take you back to the inlet.

If I wasn't a fat, lazy slob that has barely ridden this year, I'd offer to lead you somewhere.

saab2000
09-10-2011, 06:06 AM
I don't mean to insult anyone from there, but it's not the greatest riding around. That said, there are a lot of good riders and a good time can be had. The problem is that it gets kind of monotonous after a while, being flat and repetitive over the same roads.

Riding in the city/suburbia is virtually impossible.

Get out towards Pungo, as mentioned, and the possibilities open up. Creeds is a turnaround point on a lot of rides and there are some good, quiet roads in between. Stay off Princess Anne Road down there. Narrow and lots of traffic.

After you get over the Pungo Ferry Bridge there is much more available riding, but most of that is no longer VA Beach.

Not a great place for cycling, but once you're a on the quiet roads it's generally OK WRT traffic.

PM me for further information.