PDA

View Full Version : Highway 126 in SoCal

hairylegs
09-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Hey Ya'll.

Training for Kona and trying to get some hot windy miles in on Saturday. I've been told the 126 is great for this, so was going to start where the 126 meets the 5 and ride towards filmore. But I need 70-80 miles...any idea where to go after that? Rolling hills are fine, but like wide(r) roads if possible and a pure out and back or "lollipop."

Thoughts?! Thanks much!

profkrispy
09-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Depending when you decide to start your ride you could continue through Fillmore and make your way to Santa Paula. Turn right on 10th street then left on Santa Paula St. Head West on Santa Paula St. until it ends and turn left then right on Telegraph Rd. Continue West until road construction causes you to turn right or turn around and head back the way you came. If you start this ride around 9 or so you'll have nothing but head wind while you're heading West until your heart is content.

DogpawSlim
09-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Windy, like "a windy day," or "a windy road?" If it's the latter, the 126 is probably not what you're looking for. Plenty of winds on the coast if you want to drive an extra 45 minutes. If you time it right, you can have headwinds both ways!

126 has a huge shoulder for the most part, but it's a 55mph road, pretty heavily trafficked. If you want some climbs along the way, turn north on A Street in Fillmore, should be no traffic this time of year, but plenty of heat. You can also turn south on A Street and end up on a mellower westward ride on South Mountain Road.

Don49
09-09-2011, 02:46 AM
My club rides in this area. Check out our route slips: http://cibike.org/ridesandroutes/index.html

christian
09-09-2011, 05:26 AM
I grew up in the SCV and highway 126 is one of the last places i'd ever suggest for a ride. We called it "the highway of death" for a reason.

Why not consider riding the coast as suggested, or perhaps Lockwood Valley Road from Gorman or even some of the roads up near Taft?

I would avoid 126.

bikerboy337
09-09-2011, 06:22 AM
I grew up in valencia/scv and wouldn't want to bike the 126... We used to run out near there in the orange orchards with my cc team, but the road is windy and cars drive fast (well above the posted 55)...

just my thought, but I'd look for someplace else

bikerboy337
09-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Off topic a little bit---Christian, you happen to graduate from Hart high in 98?...just looked at your profile.. Funny..

I grew up in the SCV and highway 126 is one of the last places i'd ever suggest for a ride. We called it "the highway of death" for a reason.

Why not consider riding the coast as suggested, or perhaps Lockwood Valley Road from Gorman or even some of the roads up near Taft?

I would avoid 126.

toaster
09-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Turn left on Torrey Rd and continue on Guiberson Rd.

christian
09-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Bikerboy, no, I'm class of '94. My little brother was class of '00. Go Indians!

bikerboy337
09-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Funny, I'm actually class of 94... brain freeze this morning and put my college year down..

sent you a pm...

funny to find someone I went to high school with on here... never made the connection..

drydenfire
09-09-2011, 02:47 PM
yes, once you get to the stop light in Piru, take a LEFT and get onto GUIBERSON. ou can see on google maps how that parallels the highway but is hardly any traffic and nice rollers - its the Piru time trial course once a month.

Also be prepared for a headwind as you make your way back east toward Santa Clarita in the late morning and afternoon.

hairylegs
09-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Now you guys got me scared! Somebody in the LA Tri Club suggested it as a good simulation for Kona. Hot and windy is good with some rollers as well. I know the Piru course for sure. But the 126 is really that bad? I mean can it be much worse than PCH in LA? That's what I'm used to! :)

Thx again!

toaster
09-09-2011, 03:16 PM
The 126 is not to be feared. I see riders going in both directions all the time, just pick a time when commuter traffic is absent. It's a wide road, unlike the way it was back 20 years ago.

If you're coming from Santa Clarita and want rollers and some wind then use 126 all the way to Santa Paula or cut over to Guiberson and then to South Mountain Rd.

If you want crazy drivers and mad traffic stay in Santa Clarita and Valencia, those motorists there will run your ass over in a second!

hairylegs
09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Thank you! I will check it out tomorrow. I plan on 5 hours in the saddle and then an hour run (ugh!) on the North Fork trail. Will letcha know - really appreciate the help here! :)

hairylegs
09-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Just to followup on this...I started off at "Bark Park" just off Magic Mtn Parkway. Took the "Old Road" to 126. 15 miles on it - HUGE shoulder, but a good amount of debris. Then took Torrey (?) to the Piru TT course. That's an awesome road - even ran into the tail end of the 40k tt! Tren is a friend of mine and it was cool to run into him...Continued to Mountain Rd, all nice backroads - no traffic. Through Santa Paula to Foothill all the way to Ventura and back - 90 miles only 15 out and back on the 126. Got rained on, then did a hot and humid run on the bike trail. Actually tripped on a rock at one point...quite epic but finished the first of 4 key workouts for Kona! Next one is Weds. Thanks again for the tips. It was a good day. :)

toaster
09-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Awesome. Tren and his TT are great, glad you had a good time.