PDA

View Full Version : Old seats, posts, new seats posts (useless question for gear and frame nuts)

Dr. Doofus
07-14-2005, 01:07 PM
In the local shop, oofd noticed one of E-RITCHIE's late 70s creations (owned by a cat named frank who rides in gym shorts, never shaves, and has three sachs bikes, making him the coolest guy in rock hill sc)...doof saw that the old-school post and seat offered little overall setback -- the post had about 20mm of setback, and the saddle didn't have a lot of rail length. The result was that with the saddle all the way back, the seat was in the E-RITCHIE "sweet spot," with the buisness end of the saddle right in line with the seat tube.

dbrk has noted that frame setback have grown less and less over the last 25 years, with the bikes getting steeper and steeper...but does it all even out? Modern posts have more setback, modern seats have more rail length (unless you go for the lance concor-style), so in the end you get the same position...doof was thinking about this when frank's 70s white sachs and 2003 red sachs were side by side, looked like slightly different frame setbacks, one with the original (and worn to death...frankman don't clean or chage things too much) saddle and post, one with new zoot campy/arione, but the same pedaling position....

chrisroph
07-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Doof--Some but not all modern posts have more setback than some posts of old. For example, the look posts have huge setback. The campy posts and dura ace posts have a bunch but the thomsons don't have much at all, even the setback model. However, many modern saddles position the business part of the saddle pretty far back. For example, the fizik saddles turn even the steepest of modern bikes into way-behind-kops lemond style specials. While many modern off-the-shelf bikes have steep st angles, there are more factory bikes than ever with slack st angles. Just look at the merckxs, looks, pegos. This wasn't the case 15 yrs ago. Bottom line for a guy like me who rides slack st angles, I have more non-custom choices than ever. I'm going to fit fine on the incoming legend with 73 deg st angle. I'll be using a 15 yr old semi-aero campy one bolt post (which I had on my 73 deg CSi) with a sella italia max flite pushed pretty far back.