PDA

View Full Version : KC...another move :)

gearguywb
09-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Looks like we are going to make another move, this time to the KC area (Liberty, Mo). Any suggestions on the North KC area for riding and living areas? I will be officing in the Liberty area.

Thanks in advance :) !

Uncle Jam's Army
09-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Merle, I don't know anything about KC and can offer you no advice about the riding there, but if you need a place to store your Moots RSL, I've got plenty of room in the garage. I promise to keep it nice and safe for you :)

gearguywb
09-08-2011, 04:29 PM
That is a really tempting offer :)

You sure you wouldn't want to take care of the Strong's as well?

tiretrax
09-08-2011, 04:34 PM
I'll keep them for you here in Dallas, since you seem to be moving in my direction.

gearguywb
09-08-2011, 04:56 PM
You guys are the greatest :)

godfrey1112000
09-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Looks like we are going to make another move, this time to the KC area (Liberty, Mo). Any suggestions on the North KC area for riding and living areas? I will be officing in the Liberty area.

Thanks in advance :) !

Here are about 6 weekly rides

http://www.kcbc.org/weekly-rides

enjoy the hills up there

all the brevets are out of north kc, 6-9k of climbing

http://kcbrevets.blogspot.com/

pm me when you are settled in and we can ride together :beer:

Dave B
09-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Hey I think Chance from VS is a KC local. Would be a great resource.

chuckroast
09-08-2011, 06:58 PM
...is in the extreme NE corner of the Metro area for KC. Godfrey's link is good but note that the close rides for you will be in Clay or Platte County. Ed's Liberty Ride looks like the closest match.

And, he's right. It's hilly up there.

Welcome to the area, there are several of us in the KC metro but we've never had a Forum ride. Maybe you can be the catalyst once you are here.

gearguywb
09-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Great info guys, thanks! Probably 3-4 weeks from being able to actually ride out there (just in time for the season to wind down). May try and find a cross race or some other great entertainment ;)

SpeedyChix
09-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Great info guys, thanks! Probably 3-4 weeks from being able to actually ride out there (just in time for the season to wind down). May try and find a cross race or some other great entertainment ;)

Good CX scene in the area. As Pres. mentioned, Chance would be a great connection. The St. Louis bike forum as well. http://stlbiking.com/forum/

BumbleBeeDave
09-08-2011, 07:30 PM
My parents lived there until they passed in 2007 and I would do rides with the local clubs when I would go visit.

Johnson County bike club had plenty of rides, usually starting and finishing at a local JoCo restaurant/bar and with social time afterward--something that's sorely missing from club rides here in the Albany NY area.

But the JCBC rides often had wildly varying personalities. Some were very welcoming and friendly. Others were definitely not and hugely competitive--way more so on busy urban streets than I felt comfortable with. 75th St. Brewery ride in particular was fast, careless, and not welcoming of visitors. Note they share sponsorship of some ofthese rides with the PVYC (see below)

http://www.jcbikeclub.org/

The Prairie Village Yacht Club is actually a cycling club and was very welcoming to me as an out-of-towner . . .

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/prairievillageyachtclub/

Their Jerry's Bait shop and Blue Moose rides were particularly fun and friendly. Bait shop ride usually includes a post ride visit to a hole in the wall Mexican place nearby and the Blue Moose ride starts and finishes at local restuarant and bar The Blue Moose.

One of the friendliest bike shops in the area is Bike Shack over in south KCMO . . .

http://bicycleshack.com/

Chris Smedley and his crew are incredibly nice people, and one of the best cycling memories I have is doing a rainy Saturday morning ride with him and a few others, getting absolutely soaked to the skin, then munching on donuts in their back room service area while we cleaned up our bikes and watched that day's Tour stage on a jury rigged TV. Heaven!

Streets in JoCo are laid out in a boring grid with not much variety, and the are is so built up now you have to go south to 220th street or so before you're truly in the country. Roads over in Missouri have more variety and less grid.

Hope this helps!

BBD

godfrey1112000
09-08-2011, 07:55 PM
The have several rides and the level of friendliness varies, they are pretenders, Hammer for 17 miles on Tuesday nights, drink beer for 3 hours,

You should go ride with the Shack, on Saturday the rides are very good and the guys are great, 45-60 miles

I ride out south, and the country start really at 159th and moves all the way south, hills, flats and some red necks but it is really quite on the weekends

the Bait Shop in Lenexa is a very challenging ride, it has become a hammer fest during the summer, all the racers are there.

You will be able to hook up with a lot of good people and should have a great time

use the JCBC calender as a source of information

BumbleBeeDave
09-08-2011, 08:51 PM
. . . Hammer for 17 miles on Tuesday nights, drink beer for 3 hours

. . . the Hell is wrong with THAT? :beer: ;)

BBD

ahumblecycler
09-09-2011, 08:59 AM
I live in Platte City, about 20 miles via bike taking safer, indirect route. The area has lots of cycling options, and the best area to head is up north (IMO). When you get in and situated for cycling, PM me and we can meet up.

CX is big in the area.
Cheers.

SManning
09-09-2011, 07:06 PM
I grew up in Liberty but we now live in Michigan. I make quite a few trips home and I still have quite a bit of family that live there. If you have any questions about where to live, I can help with that. If you have school-aged children, consider living in a neighborhood that services Shoal Creek Elementary. My sister's kids love going to school there. The school system is excellent with top rate music programs.

My parents now live in Kearney and I was able to find some pretty nice rides directly from their house. The bike shop in Liberty, Biscari Bros. (Customer service leaves a lot to be desired though) hosts some MS-150 training rides. That might be a great way to find some safe road routes. I was able to find a marked route near my parents house that went out to the Jesses James' Farm. There are quite a few nice back roads (H Hwy, A Hwy., etc., early mornings though) past William Jewell, out to Excelsior Springs and Kearney. When we've been in the city, we've also seen quite a few people riding at the downtown airport. There must be quite a few groups that ride and train out there too.

Enjoy Missouri, but they can get snow. My parents had more snow last winter than we received here in southeast Michigan. Last winter was very strange for them.

gearguywb
09-10-2011, 05:14 AM
I live in Platte City, about 20 miles via bike taking safer, indirect route. The area has lots of cycling options, and the best area to head is up north (IMO). When you get in and situated for cycling, PM me and we can meet up.

CX is big in the area.
Cheers.

Thanks! Looking forward to it :)

TAW
09-10-2011, 07:49 AM

CX is big in the area.
Cheers.

I live near Liberty and work at a shop in Parkville. You're welcome to PM me if you want to ride. There's great riding in this part of KC and you'll have no problems finding a place to ride that's pretty traffic free. You can PM me as well. ahumblecycler and I ride quite a bit together so we can show you where to go.

ahumblecycler
09-10-2011, 08:06 PM
@TAW - not enough ... we need to get our schedules more in line ;)

TAW's shop focuses on Specialized and Ridley; I recommend Cycle City for Cannondale, Cervelo, and anything CX and mountain bike. As previously mentioned, BB in Liberty lacks in some of the important areas.

Back in the day, the area had pretty bad winters with lots of snow. The current trend is more ice than snow although last year brought a lot of snow (mostly at the same time). I found my CX bike useful for the snowy days.

gearguywb
09-10-2011, 08:55 PM
You guys are a wealth of information. Planning on making the first trip out the 19th, staying for a week, and then coming back to NC. Probably the end of the month for a permanent move (if we can find a place:))....wife is on the 'net shopping for a house as we speak!