PDA

View Full Version : semi-OT: Camp Coffee?

AngryScientist
09-08-2011, 07:11 AM
I apologize for another camping OT, but i'm in the "need to know" and cyclists generally love java right?

what's my best option for making a morning brew while car camping?

i'm considering one of those super slick backpacking mini stoves to heat water and a small french press...?

Kupe
09-08-2011, 07:15 AM
i'm considering one of those super slick backpacking mini stoves to heat water and a small french press...?

Bingo! This is my preferred method. Starbucks Via would be a good option as well.

William
09-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Again, many choices...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CAMOmnifindQueryCmd?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1&searchCategory=&ip_state=&ip_constrain=&ip_navtype=search&pageSize=24&currentPage=&ip_sortBy=&searchKeywords=coffee

The Java press is a good choice. Comes in personal sizes as well as 30 & 50 oz sizes....

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___73433

The GSI Outdoor 30 oz. Java Press allows you to enjoy French Press coffee anywhere! Split-ring plunger design virtually eliminates coffee 'blow-by' for the most flavorful, mud-free coffee. Double-walled, insulated lid holds in temperature while brewing and serving. Insulating EVA sleeve removes easily for cleaning. Crystal-clear, BPA-Free Carafe with sturdy molded handle is lightweight and shatter-resistant.

stephenmarklay
09-08-2011, 07:42 AM
At home I use a french press and a variety of organic coffee. So when we went camping last month I was planning on just bring it with me.

Well my wife picked up the Starbucks Via so we were going to use that for the ease. However, I drink decaf in addition a lot during the days. I found some "Mount Hagen Organic Cafe" instant coffee in both regular and decaf and it was about half the price of the Starbucks so the the Via went back.

Long story short is I ordered a case of each from Amazon as soon as I got back. It is darn good coffee. I makes life a lot easier for camping. It does taste a little different from the coffees that I would normally grind and use in my french press but not worse.

I think it's worlds better tasting than most drips...

William
09-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Not a bad idea. I just grind up some fresh beans before we leave and put them in a zip-lock bag, squeeze out all the air and seal it up. Still nice and fresh for the press.

William

AngryScientist
09-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Not a bad idea. I just grind up some fresh beans before we leave and put them in a zip-lock bag, squeeze out all the air and seal it up. Still nice and fresh for the press.

William

yea thats the plan, i just need to pick a super cool backpacking stove. i guess the major decision point is liquid fuel or pressurized. leaning toward liquid multi-fuel capable set up. decisions decisions...

William
09-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Also, if you haven't thought about it already, it's good to have a camp sink to clean that press, cooking utensils, or anything used for food stuffs...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___60602

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83067

Also, having a collapsible water carrier/jug for cleaning and drinking water is good to have as well.

Something like...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___67069?cm_vc=PDPZ1

William

AngryScientist
09-08-2011, 07:58 AM
thanks William, good tips, i'm going to Campmor after work tonight for sure!

William
09-08-2011, 08:00 AM
thanks William, good tips, i'm going to Campmor after work tonight for sure!

I always wanted to go one of those big Campmor stores, but I just resorted to ordering on-line. Have fun. :)

William

echelon_john
09-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Jetboil press is pretty efficient, but a light french press makes more sense if you want to boil/cook other stuff too. can't go wrong with an msr whisperlight and a press.

dsimon
09-08-2011, 08:11 AM
An Army trick is Boiled water and coffe goungs in a Panty hose sock"new of course" and throw that in a thermos and shake. :bike:

christian
09-08-2011, 08:17 AM
yea thats the plan, i just need to pick a super cool backpacking stove. i guess the major decision point is liquid fuel or pressurized. leaning toward liquid multi-fuel capable set up. decisions decisions...
I have a Svea 123 and a Snow Peak canister stove. Though I love the old jet-engine roar of the Svea, I use my canister stove for any trips where the temps will be above freezing. Canister stoves are so convenient. Unless you are planning on huge amounts of winter camping or long-distance expeditions where fuel weight is at a premium, I don't think a white gas stove is necessary.

William
09-08-2011, 08:18 AM
An Army trick is Boiled water and coffe goungs in a Panty hose sock"new of course" and throw that in a thermos and shake. :bike:

My brother-in law was a Colonel in the Marines (retired) and makes coffee pudding (that's what I call it). Puts a bunch of instant in a cup with a little bit of hot water and stirs it up. Thick and strong. :eek:

William

hockeybike
09-08-2011, 08:23 AM

consumergasms everywhere!

Karin Kirk
09-08-2011, 08:47 AM
If you are going to do more than boil water, I'd skip the backpacking stove and get a car-camping stove instead, like the Coleman. They have bigger burners, are more stable and may be less fussy to operate. But I guess for limited camping I might just get whichever is cheaper.

Camp coffee is one of life's great pleasures. Sipping your favorite brew while sitting around in that damp, quiet morning air... It's hard to top that.

Then for breakfast you can move on to buttermilk pancakes with some blueberries tossed in. You are bringing a cast iron skillet, right? :)

Where are you going camping?

indyrider
09-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Sweaty bandana + grounds + boiling h2o = excellent morn electrolyte replinisher >>>>after a long ride and a few :beer: 's

AngryScientist
09-08-2011, 08:53 AM
If you are going to do more than boil water, I'd skip the backpacking stove and get a car-camping stove instead, like the Coleman. They have bigger burners, are more stable and may be less fussy to operate. But I guess for limited camping I might just get whichever is cheaper.

Camp coffee is one of life's great pleasures. Sipping your favorite brew while sitting around in that damp, quiet morning air... It's hard to top that.

Then for breakfast you can move on to buttermilk pancakes with some blueberries tossed in. You are bringing a cast iron skillet, right? :)

Karin - you and i are definitely speaking the same language with the coffee and pancakes, mmmm.

coffee in general is one of my favorite simple pleasures, nothing beats a great cup and some quiet time to drink it.

going camping in southern VT, near the harpoon brewery. incorporating a bike trip, some great beer and brewery food, and local VT flavor. should be fun, and comfortable enough to keep my wife happy. really looking forward to abandoning the cubicle.

EDS
09-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Again, many choices...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CAMOmnifindQueryCmd?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1&searchCategory=&ip_state=&ip_constrain=&ip_navtype=search&pageSize=24&currentPage=&ip_sortBy=&searchKeywords=coffee

The Java press is a good choice. Comes in personal sizes as well as 30 & 50 oz sizes....

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___73433

The GSI Outdoor 30 oz. Java Press allows you to enjoy French Press coffee anywhere! Split-ring plunger design virtually eliminates coffee 'blow-by' for the most flavorful, mud-free coffee. Double-walled, insulated lid holds in temperature while brewing and serving. Insulating EVA sleeve removes easily for cleaning. Crystal-clear, BPA-Free Carafe with sturdy molded handle is lightweight and shatter-resistant.

I have the GSI 30 oz version and am very satisfied with it. If you were making coffee for two the larger version may be better.

staggerwing
09-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Karin has it, if car camping, simply go to your local big box store and buy a 2-burner, propane stove from Coleman. I used to use a white gas version, which certainly worked, but the propane is easier, cleaner, and simmers better. Buy cylinders in either the camping or hardware section, whichever is cheaper.

For a little pocket stove, WallyWorld has a little Coleman isobutane for under $25. Took one on a recent 5-day family backpacking trip to Isle Royale, and it worked great. For just a tad more, the Snow Peak Giga Power looks a little better, if only for the 4 versus 3 component pot support.

Still have a MSR Whisperlite Shaker stove, but haven't used it in years. You have to fill a little cup at the base with a thimble full of white gas, set it on fire, to pre-heat the atomizer tube, and the slowly open the throttle. In cooler weather, the pre-heat never got the atomizer warm enough, and the initial flow of fuel would still be liquid, only increasing the size of the bonfire. Even though white gas is relatively clean, the pre-heat would turn the stove into a sooty mess. It also only had two heat levels, full bore or off. Don't miss it at all.

rugbysecondrow
09-08-2011, 09:49 AM
I have always been a percolator guy. Simple, sturdy, not easily broken.

Go for the coleman camping stove, I like the propane model.

I use this one.

http://www.rei.com/product/738435/coleman-fold-n-go-two-burner-stove?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-gpeLink-_-product-_-738435&mr:trackingCode=647D4FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&s_kwcid=TC%7C13029%7Ccoleman%20stove%7C%7CS%7Ce%7C 7090945205&mr:adType=pe&ctype=2&gclid=CLCOl9nyjasCFQjc4Aod5TaFwQ

Monthly Payment
09-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Don't forget grinding the beans: If you don't have a power source for a small blade grinder, hand grinders are the way to go. They take a while but like you, I enjoy taking my time to drink a good cup and the time it takes to do it right when I have the time to do it. Sadly, most mornings I resort to the blade grinder.

I got a manual grinder if you need it for your trip.

Ozz
09-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I use a Moka to make coffee when camping...if you want to dilute it a bit, just add some hot water after brewing....

+1 on Colman propane stove. I used to use the white gas model, but propane is much for convenient. I also have an MSR Dragonfly...too much hassle to set up, too noisy, and not as stable. Skip the backpacking stoves

merlinmurph
09-08-2011, 11:00 AM
When we go camping, I'm the first one up in the AM and the very first thing I do is start heating up some water and get the French press all set up. This makes my wife extremely happy. Coffee is even more important than showers. :)

nelson
09-08-2011, 11:01 AM
For camping, especially on a motorcycle, I like the AeroPress. I discovered it on a home roasting forum and use it a lot. For a small grinder the Hario is hard to beat, but for a short trip really isn't necessary. For just coffee it's hard to beat an alcohol stove. They're dirt cheap, even easy to make yourself, burn hot and quick with readily available fuel. Don't like them for cooking, but they're great for boiling small amounts of water quickly.

Nelson

IFRider
09-08-2011, 11:05 AM
I apologize for another camping OT, but i'm in the "need to know" and cyclists generally love java right?

what's my best option for making a morning brew while car camping?

A french press is the best camping accessory around. I would advocate making your coffee cold brewed though. Basically, use cold water instead of hot and let it sit for a long time to brew. I use a 1/2 cup of ground coffee in a medium (32oz) size press pot. Stir and let sit overnight. This is perfect for car camping as long as you are not in bear country.

The coffee is stronger than normal and perfect over ice. If you want hot, mix with boiling water in your cup to desired concentration/temp.

Warren

Karin Kirk
09-08-2011, 11:17 AM
This is perfect for car camping as long as you are not in bear country.

Bears juiced up on strong coffee... let's just picture that for a moment... :eek:

Angry, your trip sounds lovely. It also sounds like you are having fun thinking through all the nice details that will make it a success. To me, car camping feels like huge luxury because you get all your favorite things in a fun and relaxing setting.

We have a running joke in our family about creating meals and table settings nice enough to appear in Elegant Camping magazine. It should be noted that there is no such magazine.

gdw
09-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Karin nailed it. Another vote for the french press and Coleman two burner stove. You can use a standard glass press if you pack it propery and the two burner Coleman will allow you to make any meal that you could cook at home on a gas stove.

Ozz
09-08-2011, 11:31 AM
B...
We have a running joke in our family about creating meals and table settings nice enough to appear in Elegant Camping magazine. It should be noted that there is no such magazine.
Ummm....Sunset Magazine just ran an issue about "Glamping"....aka glamor camping, or as you put it, "Elegant Camping".

:beer:

HenryA
09-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Karin's got it right on the stove.

Now for real camp coffee, boil some water in a small pan and throw in the ground coffee. When sufficiently black, add a splash of cold water to settle the grounds and pour into a tin cup. That'll harden ya' up.

old_fat_and_slow
09-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Man, you are way overanalyzing this camping thing.

Get a metal coffee pot (no electronics attached).

Fill with water and coffee grounds. Alter mixture ratio to suit taste.

Throw on campfire coals, and brew to taste.

french press, pffffftttt. Mamby-pambies. :rolleyes:

gdw
09-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Something tells me his wife, and quite a few of our forum members, aren't quite ready for cowboy coffee. :beer:

cp43
09-08-2011, 02:58 PM

I'm with Karin on this one. I have a super cool backpacking stove, and it's great for backpacking. For car camping, I have a dual burner propane stove. You can make pancakes and coffee at the same time.

If you plan to do lots of backpacking and not much car camping, that changes things, but it sounds like, for now, a car camping stove is the way to go.

Enjoy the trip :beer:

Chris

wc1934
09-08-2011, 07:51 PM
For camping, especially on a motorcycle, I like the AeroPress. I discovered it on a home roasting forum and use it a lot. For a small grinder the Hario is hard to beat, but for a short trip really isn't necessary. For just coffee it's hard to beat an alcohol stove. They're dirt cheap, even easy to make yourself, burn hot and quick with readily available fuel. Don't like them for cooking, but they're great for boiling small amounts of water quickly.

Nelson

+1 on the Aeropress - recent purchase and I love it - have used it non stop since the purchase - it is now my go to coffee maker - flavor is smooth and never bitter - can make espresso or regular.

csm
09-08-2011, 09:03 PM
2 burner coleman stove that runs on white gas. french press. or starbucks via.
I also have a titanium stove that burns denatured alcohol. it works pretty well and weighs next to nothing. it's basically a nice version of a hobo stove.

forrestw
09-08-2011, 09:15 PM
I generally don't car-camp and coffee stuff is just too bulky if you're carrying all your stuff so I go with tea which is so much simpler to brew.

HenryA
09-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Something tells me his wife, and quite a few of our forum members, aren't quite ready for cowboy coffee. :beer:

Well, they're just gonna have to harden up.
What is the world comin' to?

stackie
09-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Remember the brewer is just an accessory for the grinder. Don't pre grind. Buy a Hario Skerton hand grinder. It's awesome and not that pricey. I just had one on our recent group camp and it was a hit, or maybe it was my home roast Costa Rican coffee. Anyway, just a suggestion. O/W the other suggestions of french press are spot on. Boil the water and wait a few seconds for it to come off the boil and you should be close to 200 degrees and go for it.

Jon

roydyates
09-09-2011, 12:15 AM
... going camping in southern VT, near the harpoon brewery. incorporating a bike trip, some great beer and brewery food, and local VT flavor. should be fun, and comfortable enough to keep my wife happy. really looking forward to abandoning the cubicle.
Do you have reliable info on the status of roads in Vermont? My impression (from talking to people in the Rutland area) was that it may be awhile before VT roads are back to normal.

DogpawSlim
09-09-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm not into french press coffee in general, even less so when there are clean up problems as there are when camping...car or otherwise.

I go with Via. But, the instant coffee from Trader Joe's is surprisingly good, and a lot cheaper than Via.

Don49
09-09-2011, 02:54 AM
http://javajuiceextract.com/
Makes a surprising good cup of coffee. I use it for bike touring and camping.

thinpin
09-09-2011, 03:15 AM
..that the good folks on this forum drink, I can hardly bring myself to type it, instant. Coffee it's not.

AngryScientist
09-09-2011, 06:19 AM
..that the good folks on this forum drink, I can hardly bring myself to type it, instant. Coffee it's not.

Correct thinpin my man, no instant coffee for this guy.

rugbysecondrow
09-09-2011, 06:27 AM
French press, grinders...if that's how you guys camp I would love to see how you live normally.

Angry, don't over think this. I grew up camping quite a bit for weeks at a time. As great as some of these ideas are, you are also limited by the quality of water.

Logistically, if you follow all this advice, you could end up with an entire milk crate full of crap just for morning coffee.

Part of camping is the simpler way of life, less trappings and bull ????. Enjoy it for what it is. There is something great about a rustic cup of coffee on a crisp morning, enjoying a revived fire from the previous night while pondering what to do with the glorious day you have been blessed with. Enjoy!

thinpin
09-09-2011, 06:53 AM
RSRW, I agree with you up to a point. Coming from a minimalist hiking background, to me this once all sounded crazy. But you need shelter, why not a comfortable tent? You need food, why not nice food? Its car camping - so good tent, stove, comfortable bedding and a table-ette and some chairs are not a big deal. Personally I draw my line here at cell phones switched on, generators and loud music. You're likely camping at a shared site.
Hiking in the backcountry is an entirely different game and I like to go with as little trappings as possible. Something I learned a long while back from an experienced "outdoors" man - "any fool can be uncomfortable"

William
09-09-2011, 07:00 AM
RSRW, I agree with you up to a point. Coming from a minimalist hiking background, to me this once all sounded crazy. But you need shelter, why not a comfortable tent? You need food, why not nice food? Its car camping - so good tent, stove, comfortable bedding and a table-ette and some chairs are not a big deal. Personally I draw my line here at cell phones switched on, generators and loud music. You're likely camping at a shared site.
Hiking in the backcountry is an entirely different game and I like to go with as little trappings as possible. Something I learned a long while back from an experienced "outdoors" man - "any fool can be uncomfortable"

+100 :cool:

William

rugbysecondrow
09-09-2011, 07:02 AM

I guess it is where to draw the line. I have gone camping with people who try to make the northwoods like a B and B and they are disatisfied...they are too different to reconcile. Why not just go to a B and B then? I don't expect the Ramada to be Four Seasons, and I don't expect camping to be a B and B. Enjoy it for the rustic experience it is.

Certainly, there is wisdom to being comfortable, but then there is going beyond comfortable to luxury. For me, most of this conversation crosses over the line. For others, their camping french press and remedial grinder might be "roughing it".

William
09-09-2011, 07:07 AM
I've done a lot of back country hiking, climbing and camping over the years (not as much since our children were born) and I'm no stranger to roughing it. But, car camping is a bit different and I don't have an issue with a few comforts to go along with it....to a point. No generators, boom boxes etc. :no: Nothing wrong with wanting a good cup of joe though.

William

AngryScientist
09-09-2011, 07:09 AM
for me: one of the things i get a great enjoyment out of are making and drinking a great cup of coffee. i rarely have time to do this however, weekends are packed with stuff, busy with work during the week, etc. i generally suck down a few mediocre cups of coffee a day from the office coffee maker.

while camping, where there will be plenty of down time with no phones, tv, work, etc, why not take the time and make a great cup, sit down under a big tree and enjoy it with the sounds of nature? sounds perfect to me. :beer:

thinpin
09-09-2011, 07:16 AM
I guess it is where to draw the line. I have gone camping with people who try to make the northwoods like a B and B and they are disatisfied...they are too different to reconcile. Why not just go to a B and B then? I don't expect the Ramada to be Four Seasons, and I don't expect camping to be a B and B. Enjoy it for the rustic experience it is.

Certainly, there is wisdom to being comfortable, but then there is going beyond comfortable to luxury. For me, most of this conversation crosses over the line. For others, their camping french press and remedial grinder might be "roughing it".
Fair point.

thinpin
09-09-2011, 07:18 AM
So, just like everything in life , we all have our own ways of doing stuff. I will always drink to that. :beer:

rugbysecondrow
09-09-2011, 08:01 AM
So, just like everything in life , we all have our own ways of doing stuff. I will always drink to that. :beer:

Agreed. My last plug/point is to watch out for scope creep. It happens too easily with camping, especially car camping. Space is your friend and enemy, you still need to be discerning about what you bring and what you leave at home. If you start thinking you have space because you are car camping, pretty soon your car is loaded, you trip is complicated and it is really not as much fun as it would have been. I got lazy with my camping when it was just me and I had tons of room, then when we had kids and I take them camping, the game changes. You really need to be judicious.

So my little tidbit of wisdom (coffee or not), is watch out for scope creep.

froze
09-09-2011, 02:20 PM
I bought one of these at Walmart for a closeout of $10 but it actually works great. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cuisinox-3-Cup-Espresso-Stovetop-Coffeemaker/14588451

I like my coffee very strong and on cool or cold days hot. especially when camping and this stove top unit allows me to pour the 1st batch of coffee back into the reservoir, put fresh grounds into the holder and re-brew again...yep, makes it real strong.

I suppose you could do the same thing with a press, after pressing the coffee through once, dump the old grounds and put fresh back in the pour the coffee back into the press for a second pass through. Don't own a press so I never tried this.

Ozz
09-09-2011, 03:26 PM
I bought one of these at Walmart for a closeout of $10 but it actually works great. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cuisinox-3-Cup-Espresso-Stovetop-Coffeemaker/14588451

I like my coffee very strong and on cool or cold days hot. especially when camping and this stove top unit allows me to pour the 1st batch of coffee back into the reservoir, put fresh grounds into the holder and re-brew again...yep, makes it real strong.

I suppose you could do the same thing with a press, after pressing the coffee through once, dump the old grounds and put fresh back in the pour the coffee back into the press for a second pass through. Don't own a press so I never tried this.
yep...that is a moka, and what I use (Bialetti brand however). No glass to break, strong coffee, easy to clean, simple to use.

Heat some milk in a pan and you have an easy cafe au lait.

:beer:

AngryScientist
10-04-2011, 06:38 AM
camping, and, more importantly - camp coffee went great! thanks for all the advice folks, couldnt have been simpler or tasted better!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YLv6rlT-C3g/ToruwEa9MWI/AAAAAAAAAF0/uioVzNI5eWY/s1600/b-5.jpg

(a few more pics here, if anyone is interested

http://less-than-epic.blogspot.com/ )

old_fat_and_slow
10-04-2011, 10:51 AM
So what's the verdict from Mrs. Angry regarding camping?

a.) I'm glad I did it once, but no way in hell I'm gonnah do that again.

b.) Pretty cool. I might be up for that again some time next year.

c.) Awesome, let's spend all our vacation next year camping?

BTW, nice blog, and nice looking family. You're a lucky guy.

AngryScientist
10-04-2011, 11:33 AM
So what's the verdict from Mrs. Angry regarding camping?

a.) I'm glad I did it once, but no way in hell I'm gonnah do that again.

b.) Pretty cool. I might be up for that again some time next year.

c.) Awesome, let's spend all our vacation next year camping?

BTW, nice blog, and nice looking family. You're a lucky guy.

Thanks!

Verdict is a solid (B). The excellent weather, cushy air mattress and good coffee helped:)

merlinmurph
10-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks!

Verdict is a solid (B). The excellent weather, cushy air mattress and good coffee helped:)

Hey, that's great to hear! Glad it turned out well
Murph