PDA

View Full Version : I hate Ebay Scammers....

vsefiream
09-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Especially when they are trying to sell Di2 equipped Meivici's for less than $1500!! Dirt bags. Oh and BTW I wouldn't suggest contacting this guy.

See here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260849935126&category=378&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260849935126&category=378&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619e

I reported the ad so if the link doesn't work, that's a good thing :hello:

AngryScientist
09-07-2011, 03:15 PM
so what's the scam, he wants you to send the money to his "agent" and will ship the bike from a "secured transporter" or some nonsense like that?

dave thompson
09-07-2011, 03:33 PM
The scam is: that it's a hijacked account (the account holder sells ephemera and collectables) that the "item" being sold is hijacked from somewhere else, that the "seller" wants you to contact, pay and arrange shipping outside of eBay and clearly solicits those actions, contrary to eBay rules. You pay and you're much faster because your wallet is so much lighter.

vsefiream
09-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Looks like the seller has at least 15 fradulent listings on his account. Poor guy

vsefiream
09-07-2011, 03:49 PM
and you're much faster because your wallet is so much lighter.

Come on, if that was the case I would be hard to catch :banana:

eltonbalch
09-07-2011, 04:04 PM
This same bike has been listed several times already using other (obviously) hijacked accounts. Strangely enough it is always the same email address that he uses as the contact point. I hope no one is stupid enough to respond to it :( .

6mt
09-07-2011, 04:18 PM
is anyone going to let the rightful account holder know about her/his account been hacked???

steampunk
09-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I reported the ad so if the link doesn't work, that's a good thing :hello:

how did you get such quick response from fleabay in taking down the ad?

oldfatslow
09-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I go on a trip each year to watch professional baseball, college football, and NFL in the same weekend. Same group of guys for 13 years. We're trying to get tickets for the Nebraska at Wisconsin game. My buddy sends me an e-mail thread he has going with a Craiglist guy who claims to be in the Army and getting deployed and can't use his tix and will sell them to my buddy. My buddy foolishly asks for a picture of the tix (which is provided).

Thankfully my gullible friend shots me an email to ask me what I think. I Google the guy's e-mail and it comes up with "sports tix fraud" listings. Err. Probably a bad idea.

The internet is the wild west and you need to protect yourself. On CL's try to do everything in person (safely). On eBay deal with people who have lots of positives both as sellers and buyers for the very stuff you want. If a guy sells women's undergarments 348 times and then posts those Zip Firecrest Clincher's you want assume something's wrong.

I've found eBay to be only marginally helpful with problems and PayPal, their wholly-owned subsidiary, to be completely unhelpful.

Let's be careful out there. 100% of the time if it seems to good too be true it probably is.

djg
09-08-2011, 06:34 AM
I go on a trip each year to watch professional baseball, college football, and NFL in the same weekend. Same group of guys for 13 years. We're trying to get tickets for the Nebraska at Wisconsin game. My buddy sends me an e-mail thread he has going with a Craiglist guy who claims to be in the Army and getting deployed and can't use his tix and will sell them to my buddy. My buddy foolishly asks for a picture of the tix (which is provided).

Thankfully my gullible friend shots me an email to ask me what I think. I Google the guy's e-mail and it comes up with "sports tix fraud" listings. Err. Probably a bad idea.

The internet is the wild west and you need to protect yourself. On CL's try to do everything in person (safely). On eBay deal with people who have lots of positives both as sellers and buyers for the very stuff you want. If a guy sells women's undergarments 348 times and then posts those Zip Firecrest Clincher's you want assume something's wrong.

I've found eBay to be only marginally helpful with problems and PayPal, their wholly-owned subsidiary, to be completely unhelpful.

Let's be careful out there. 100% of the time if it seems to good too be true it probably is.

All good advice.

Of course, your example is tough on the occasional trannie cyclist, who, through rigorous training and strict calorie-counting has lost a lot of weight, and hence needs to sell those XXL women's undergarments and a wheelset to afford new duds . . .

vsefiream
09-08-2011, 09:03 AM
how did you get such quick response from fleabay in taking down the ad?

I just reported the ad. Who knows, been registered on Ebay for 14+ years now, maybe they think I know what I'm doing??

The one thing I want to add here is to always be skeptical of any ad. It should have a decent description with lots of good pics. You should be able to get in touch with the seller fairly easily and they should provide more info and pics without hassle if they are for real. If it sounds remotely fishy, stay away.
I have recently bought both of my last two Serottas sight unseen off CL. Both were long distance, one in Pheonix and the other in NC. In both cases the bikes were brought to the local shop and I spoke with the shop before sending the money. The shop then boxed the bikes for the owners and everybody was happy.
Just use your head and you'll be OK. In the last 14 years I have been on Ebay I have only been scammed once and it was for a $2.00 Hotwheels car. No big deal

steampunk
09-08-2011, 05:56 PM
I just reported the ad. Who knows, been registered on Ebay for 14+ years now, maybe they think I know what I'm doing??

well they sure take their sweet time with the chinarellos i report.

Gummee
09-08-2011, 06:23 PM
I just got the 'I'm headed out of town and will instruct my secretary to send you a cashier's check or MO +$20 for your trouble...' email on an ad for some Genius 5s I listed on CL. (43.5 if someone's interested...)

Countered with 'for this little $$ I'd rather have paypal or meet you in person with cash.'

We'll see what happens next

M