PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your nutrition from?

veggieburger
09-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Curious if any of you have found a really good source for gels, drink mixes, bars, etc. I have bought Amino Vitale from Ebay before and found some good prices, but wanted to see if there's other good choices...

Thx!

rice rocket
09-07-2011, 12:07 PM
LBS gives me 20% off because I'm there about twice a month. You should try and establish the same relationship, it has its benefits. ;)

veggieburger
09-07-2011, 12:11 PM
LBS gives me 20% off because I'm there about twice a month. You should try and establish the same relationship, it has its benefits. ;)

Thanks, I have a great relationship with my LBS....but like most LBSs, they only carry one or brands and from time to time I'd like to try other things.

Likes2ridefar
09-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I've been happy with first endurance products, most notably the cappucino recovery shake. tastes awesome with almond milk and ice! i order direct and am fortunate to have a pro deal so get a nice discount.

my other favorite which i've yet to find a decent discount besides amazon or excel sports is the honey stinger waffle. thin, so easy to carry a bunch for a long ride.

my race combo this year has been hammer heed or efs drink mix, stinger waffles, and a flask of efs vanilla liquid shot.

false_Aest
09-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Uhm.

bodybuilding.com for supplements OR go to GNC's website every so often and look for print-out coupons.

Trader Joe's is consistantly .99 for Cliff Bars. I also opt to buy the superdooper cheap expired PowerBars. I know they're hard as bricks but after 2-3 hours in my jersey pocket on a hot day they soften up nicely. at .50/each you really can't complain.

Since it's gym season I'm opting for Glutamine, whey, magnesium and echinacea in 4oz/4oz OJ/h20 .

I think that the Hammer stuff is great but I seriously doubt that it's so much better as to warrant the extra cost compared to Optimum Nutrition or Gaspari.

FWIW, ignore SciFit stuff. It's cheap and tastes like chemicals. Kind've similar to over cooking a steak in a non-stick pan and tasting the teflon wonderfulness.

Other things that I'm thinking about. A few studies several years ago stated that soy protein causes men to produce more estrogen. The data is dubious at best. Protein bars, especially ones with whey in em, should probably be eaten post ride. They're harder to digest and more than a few studies have linked higher ammonia output to consuming whey while doing cardio.

weiwentg
09-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I get my nutrition from food, mostly. Lots of whole grains, lots of veg, trying to go for more plant protein and cut the meat back. But I still love meat.

The only prepackaged nutrition products I use for riding are Clif Bars, usually from Trader Joe's or Whole Paycheck (which actually sells them for the same price as TJ's) and Gatorade (I get the powder and make a dilute version). Don't race, so don't need much else.

azrider
09-07-2011, 01:50 PM

1happygirl
09-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Luna Bars! YEAH. both the minis (80 cal) & full size bars (180 cal) depending what I'm doing.
AND my drivers side window in a hurry hahahahahahaha

rnhood
09-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Walmart and Target sell Cliff Bars at .99 regular. On sale they are .89 and even less. Cycling Plus this month scored them the highest for quick fuel on a ride - mainly because they have the sugars we need as well as some real nutrition, and they are organic. They also sell Luna and a few others - at very competitive prices.

For sports drinks the First Endurance, Hammer, GU Brew, Accel, Cytomax, etc are all pretty good. I tried a bunch of them and its mainly a matter of taste. I think GU Brew is probably the best for hot weather and the taste is decent. But they will all do the job. Buy for the taste. Watch your intake though, no reason to put more than about 250 calories per hour into your belly.

The GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 makes an excellent recovery drink. Full of good protein and tastes like a milkshake. Really hits the spot after a hard ride. But any recovery drink, or mix will likely be good and equally as effective. No rocket science here either.

Likes2ridefar
09-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Watch your intake though, no reason to put more than about 250 calories per hour into your belly.

why the magical 250? I'd bonk (and did) every long, hard race if I consumed that few calories. Even long endurance rides my performance dwindles after 4 or 5 hours if I intake that low of calories.

I usually take in ~400-500 per hour when racing.

old_fat_and_slow
09-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Uhm.

Since it's gym season I'm opting for Glutamine, whey, magnesium and echinacea in 4oz/4oz OJ/h20 .

Uhm,..... why is the beginning of fall "gym season". Plenty o' good ridin' outdoors weather still. Especially in L.A. Why would yah wanna be in the gym this time of year, unless yah have a lottah good "scenery" at your gym.

I thought "gym season" was Jan - March, at least for most folks.

old_fat_and_slow
09-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Luna Bars! YEAH. both the minis (80 cal) & full size bars (180 cal) depending what I'm doing.
AND my drivers side window in a hurry hahahahahahaha

I've tried Luna bars (even though they're marketed as mainly "for women"), and I don't get it. You get a smaller sized bar, and it costs more than a regular Clif bar. Yeah, some of 'em come with that faux icing, but being the cheap "as*" that I am, I'm not seein' the price premium is worth it.

YMMV

You better stay away from "drivers-side-window" nutrition unless yer just gettin' a choco milk tah go.

rice rocket
09-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Gym season is year round. :) I keep my upper body in shape at the gym, and I'll do legs in the winter but only because I have to. I hate lifting legs for some reason.

Anyways, I buy Hammer gels in the large bottle, and mix it with water. In the large bottles, its $0.73/serving, which is cheaper than most gels only available in single serve. I still get some single serve gels to stuff in my pocket though. I get all my Hammer stuff at the LBS.

For the rest, I get on Amazon. I buy 5 lb tubs of whey from Optimum Nutrition for around $8/lb with their subscribe and save program (15% off if you sign up for a monthly/semi-monthly/quarterly/bi-annually basis). They also have Clif bars with the same 15% off, which makes it $0.79/bar.

godfrey1112000
09-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Clif Bars Wal-Mart or Trader Joe's

Biketiresdirect.com has a sale every five minutes, oh wait there is one going on right now, 20% off their low prices on all supplies, if you know your prices you will spot the best deal

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/

Hammer products from Hammer when there is a sale

Amino Vital Pro ebay

price checker for all products qbike.com

Likes2ridefar
09-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Clif Bars Wal-Mart or Trader Joe's

Biketiresdirect.com has a sale every five minutes, oh wait there is one going on right now, 20% off their low prices on all supplies, if you know your prices you will spot the best deal

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/

Hammer products from Hammer when there is a sale

Amino Vital Pro ebay

price checker for all products qbike.com

biketiresdirect also has a nice rewards/points incentive to return and buy more stuff.

old_fat_and_slow
09-07-2011, 02:54 PM
I usually get all my post-ride recovery supplements down at the local 7-eleven. I bet you can get it at your local convenience store too.

Look for

G-U-I-N-N-E-S-S

in the cold beverage section where you shop.

Provides me with all the post-ride nutrients I need. I bet it can he'p you too. :beer: :beer:

kenmetzger
09-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Not sure if I should be saying this, but I know REI's bar code read the same for a single GU gel as it does from the box of GU gels. The first time I bought a box, I made a large purchase with other items and didn't realize that I was charged $1.35 for a box of gels. The second time I bought a box it still rang up as $1.35. It was the only thing I bought and the cashier said something along the line of "Wow, that's cheap." I said that it rang up incorrectly and should be 24 of them and not one., but she just motioned me to move on. I guess she didn't want to deal with the hassle. I felt pretty guilty, but how much am I supposed to ask to be charged more?

Do what you want to with this information, but it was just a funny thing that I thought I would share.

Fixed
09-07-2011, 03:34 PM
rollin oats an oasis in the desert
http://rollinoatstampa.com/
cheers

67-59
09-07-2011, 03:56 PM
I buy plenty of things online, but energy gels are one thing that I always seem to be able to get a better deal on at my LBS. They sell Power Gel for $0.99 each, but then give a 15% discount if you buy a whole box (24) of a single flavor. Hard to beat $0.84 each.

false_Aest
09-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Uhm,..... why is the beginning of fall "gym season". Plenty o' good ridin' outdoors weather still. Especially in L.A. Why would yah wanna be in the gym this time of year, unless yah have a lottah good "scenery" at your gym.

I thought "gym season" was Jan - March, at least for most folks.

Race 1 ~ Jan 20th.
Race bajillion ~ August 20th.

School starts in August. I use their gym. Last year I was at 7k by Sept 1st. This year? I turned off my computer in June. I have no CX bike and I'm a little tired of hours on the road.

I end up commuting 5x a week which gives me enough mileage to keep my taint from getting soft. 45 min on weights and 45 min on the treadmill 5x /week means that I'll happy to start racing again in Jan.

And, yeah, while the scenery is pretty awesome at a college, I'm trying to get 2 hours of workout into 1.5 so I'm not talking/looking too hard.

wc1934
09-07-2011, 06:54 PM
I enjoy Lara Bars - Found this page and now make my own as they are incredibly easy to make - did I mention that they are great tasting and cheap

http://www.healthhabits.ca/2010/06/18/homemade-larabar-recipes/

verticaldoug
09-07-2011, 07:28 PM
why the magical 250? I'd bonk (and did) every long, hard race if I consumed that few calories. Even long endurance rides my performance dwindles after 4 or 5 hours if I intake that low of calories.

I usually take in ~400-500 per hour when racing.

If you are not riding that far or hard, 250 calories/hour will get you through the ride before you bonk even though you are running a calorie deficit.

If you ride harder and longer , then you need more calories because you bonk before the end of the ride. On the infinit nutrition website they recommend between 30-50% replacement of expended calories. If you have a power meter or heart rate monitor you can easily calculate your calorie burn. Otherwise, just using your avg speed and weight, you can estimate.

For short rides less than 35 mi, I just use water or nuun/endurolytes. For longer endurance rides, I like to start off with a bottle of Hammer Sustained Energy with a Endurolyte Fizz thrown in for flavor. It is more calorie dense and a good way to start off. Afterwards I just rotate into Heed or water and gels.

I think a banana and chocolate milk is probably the best post ride recovery meal.

gdw
09-07-2011, 07:42 PM
It's not too difficult to make gels and energy bars. They taste better than the mass produced products and are less expensive.
Gel recipe:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=51156&highlight=homemade
Energy Bars:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=39521
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/37234/index.html?skip_to_post=315632#315632

DRietz
09-08-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm a fond believer in the real food movement. That is, I like to take half of a peanut butter and honey sandwich with me on rides in a nice plastic baggy.

My obsession with honey as a natural sweetener, simple carbohydrate, and all around "go" food led me to Honey Stinger, where everything is sweetened only with honey. I like their gels (my favorite is gold - honey with some preservatives obviously), and their drops.

Peter B
09-08-2011, 02:06 AM
Mostly Hammer stuff for me for hard training (120-160miles, 12,000'-20,000')
1) Double-thick Perpetuem plus spare bag for long, long, distance base fuel source >135miles, about 800 cal.
2) Bars; Clif Builder, Clif Mojo, Balance, Hammer--4-7 bars based on length of spin
3) Gel; Hammer or Clif in flask or single serve--about 300-500 cal
4) Clif shot blocks (2-4 sleeves)
5) day starts with double ensure+ for 700 instant cals
6) day also starts by downing 24oz h2o
7) clear bladder & bowels as required.
8) grab a banana at most opportunities
9) if hot, 6-8oz v8

I source from Hammer direct, local market, LBS, and any open location on the ride.

seatown7
09-08-2011, 03:12 AM
I'm another fan of PBJ and with honey. Also have a pro deal with First Nutrition. I buy Honey Stinger Waffles and chews online. I also like the Jelly Belly Extreme Beans. Nuun or Hammer tabs in my water.

rustychain
09-08-2011, 04:08 AM
PBJ also but I make a "sport" drink using electrolite powder (hammertime) and fresh lemon juice. Bananas are also on my list as is a bag of mixed nuts with some dried fruit. On rides over 100 miles I stop and eat lunch :eek:

oldpotatoe
09-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Not sure if I should be saying this, but I know REI's bar code read the same for a single GU gel as it does from the box of GU gels. The first time I bought a box, I made a large purchase with other items and didn't realize that I was charged $1.35 for a box of gels. The second time I bought a box it still rang up as $1.35. It was the only thing I bought and the cashier said something along the line of "Wow, that's cheap." I said that it rang up incorrectly and should be 24 of them and not one., but she just motioned me to move on. I guess she didn't want to deal with the hassle. I felt pretty guilty, but how much am I supposed to ask to be charged more?

Do what you want to with this information, but it was just a funny thing that I thought I would share.

How do you ask? " Excuse me but I think you charged me $1.35 for the box of gels, the price of one(?)".....

Saving $.20 on food, this thread makes me

sigh

1happygirl
09-08-2011, 08:05 AM
I've tried Luna bars (even though they're marketed as mainly "for women"), and I don't get it. You get a smaller sized bar, and it costs more than a regular Clif bar. Yeah, some of 'em come with that faux icing, but being the cheap "as*" that I am, I'm not seein' the price premium is worth it.

YMMV

You better stay away from "drivers-side-window" nutrition unless yer just gettin' a choco milk tah go.
SoooooTrue Ofas. I thought the same thing about the price. You could just cut the large ones in half, ziplock 'em and just eat half and it would be the same. I'm paying for the convenience of no Ziplocks.
True about my left door window automobile microwave!!!!! :crap:
Nice bar though for anytime, low index-not perfect for all things but pretty good stuff. What works for one-nt for another. Some peeps don't like the taste.