PDA

View Full Version : Help me with this build

yoondaddy
09-06-2011, 05:00 PM
So I picked up a nashbar alum. cross frame this weekend and want to build it as a cross/commuter. I'm looking to build it as an 8speed with a single ring up front with paul thumbies or kelly take-offs. Despite living in flat chicago, I didn't go the ss route due to using it both as a fast commuter and cross bike and having gears in cross is nice. It is a budget/simple minded build. However, I need help with a few questions.

Do I use a regular road crank with shorter bolts for the single ring? what would tooth count would you recommend(I'm thinking 48t)? can I use a track crank with gears?

Will i have a decent chain line with a 130mm spaced rear? will i need a front chain catcher?

what would be my best budget component group?

Thanks

spacemen3
09-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Sounds like a cool project. I'd consider the following budget stuff: SRAM S300 track crank, IRD XC-Pro thumbshifter, and a microSHIFT 9-speed rear derailleur. I believe the chainring that comes on the S300 is 48t and compatible with a 3/32" chain. I haven't experienced any chain hop issues with a single chainring, but you might want a Paul Components Chain Keeper if you're doing serious cyclocross.

palincss
09-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Will i have a decent chain line with a 130mm spaced rear? will i need a front chain catcher?

If you set it up correctly, yes. You may well need a front chain keeper. I'm not sure if it's possible to tell ahead of time, but many 1x whatever setups do throw the chain, either only under certain circumstances (e.g., washboard that sets the chain jumping up and down) or all the time.

christian
09-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Cross I'd run a 44t or 42t. If you can turn a 48 in the 50th minute of a cross race...

vqdriver
09-06-2011, 06:03 PM
i don't run single ring up front so i'm not familiar, but if you have an existing crankset you could just replace the outer ring with a bashguard. it'll help keep your casual clothes/calves clean in commuter mode to boot.

cp43
09-06-2011, 06:30 PM
I have the old version of the Nashbar alu 'cross frame, with 135mm rear spacing. When I built it up the first time I tried to use an outboard bearing bottom bracket, Truvativ cross cranks, I think. The crank arms hit the chain stays :(. I called Nashbar to ask about it and they told me that my frame was not compatible with outboard bearing bottom brackets. I don't know if they've fixed this or not, but it's something to keep in mind.

Other than that issue, which I got around by using an ISIS bb, I've been very happy with the frame. It's been my winter commuter/D2R2 bike for the last 4 years.

Enjoy the new ride :beer:

Chris