PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anybody Near Kalispell/Glacier Nat'l Park?

miguel
09-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi
Im headed to Glacier tomorrow for a few days of hiking/vacation. We're taking the train out from PDX and, from what I understand, there's only 1 shuttle from the train to our lodge, no taxis, and nothing else.

Anybody out there with experience? Maybe you live nearby and can offer advice?

crossjunkee
09-07-2011, 10:27 AM
The only advice I can give is pepper spray while hiking, especially this time of year, and Park Cafe for pie.

http://www.parkcafe.us/

Ozz
09-07-2011, 11:13 AM
The Great Northern Bar in Whitefish for drinking beer....The Bulldog Saloon is also fun. It has been about 20 yrs since I hung out there..... :beer:

bozman
09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
...is in Whitefish, too. Worth checking out.

Ralph
09-07-2011, 12:24 PM
We visited friends in Kalispell a couple summers ago, and while there we all went for short hike and picnic by the lake. Our friends loaded us up with cow bells and spray. They were very afraid of bears....or more specifically.... accidentally getting between a moma and a cub.

SamIAm
09-07-2011, 12:35 PM
You are going to love the hiking in Glacier, second to none in my opinion.

I will second the warning on bears, especially this time of the year. Make plenty of noise along the trail. Moose can be problematic as well.

David Kirk
09-07-2011, 12:55 PM
We've had real bear issues in this area/Yellowstone - a few deaths so far this year. Careful out there.

dave

miguel
09-07-2011, 04:00 PM
That's what we read. I told my wife to pick up some spray today.
I am just so excited to get out of Portland for a few days.

train trip + new book + hiking for a few days = :hello:

rustychain
09-07-2011, 09:33 PM
My dream is to ride the "Going To the Sun" road from west to east but I think at the moment there is construction. See if they still have bar stool races in Hungrey Horse ;)
I lived in Whitefish 30 years back

Ken Robb
09-08-2011, 09:58 AM
If you are confronted by a bear is there a trick to convincing it to get downwind of you so you can spray it without blow-back getting you too? :o

Ken Robb
09-08-2011, 10:00 AM
OK, seriously this time:I read that if I meet a bear I should try to look big and make a lot of noise so would a LOUD aerosol horn help?

crossjunkee
09-08-2011, 10:00 AM
If you are confronted by a bear is there a trick to convincing it to get downwind of you so you can spray it without blow-back getting you too? :o

The trick is to spray backwards as you're RUNNING the other direction! :beer:

rustychain
09-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Bears??? Ride with a slower friend

noonan1970
09-10-2011, 06:49 PM
I just saw this post and live in Whitefish. Let me know if you're still here. Tim

miguel
09-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Got home this morning. Everyone needs to see this park, real talk.

Met a tall-biker on the GTTS road, was nice. People were asking about the tall bike and I was like "I'm from Portland". Saw some team-bikers headed tward Alberta. White kits with green, both on cdales, pink tape on one guys rig. I wish I had a bike there. Met a grizzly on the trails up to grinnel lake, decided to turn around rather than wait it out/put ourselves in danger. Read a book at many glacier lodge for a couple hours. Did not get to park cafe nor eat any pie. My body says thank you my tastebuds say .... you. Narrowly missed our train on the way out. Long story short: please be considerate, someday you too will be in a jam.

If you get anything from reading this: go to the park NOW, enjoy it, enrich your life with natural beauty. 2ndly: spread the word of global warming: it is NOT POLITICAL it is SCIENTIFIC FACT.