PDA

View Full Version : My first Century this Sunday, any tips?

Andrewlcox
09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Hello,

I have been riding all year and have pretty good legs for my upcoming century ride. I have ridden a 50, a couple 40's and numerous 30 mile rides this year. It's too late for training tips so I'm really looking for strategies on the day of the event.

Do we ride slow (< 15 mph) and pace ourselves. Take breaks every 10 miles to eat and drink. Bring a bucket of chamois butter?

Any suggestions, Thanks

Andy

AngryScientist
09-06-2011, 02:28 PM
you probably should have done a ride >50 in prep, but thats water under the bridge.

tips:

eat before you're hungry

drink before you're thirsty

sip water, dont chug

electrolyte replacement is your friend

dont try anything new, anything

dont overcook yourself in the first 3/4, if you're feeling good at mile 80-85, turn it up then.

good luck, 100 miles is really just a number, nothing magical about it. :beer:

MattTuck
09-06-2011, 02:30 PM
have fun. you're riding a bike all day.

you will hurt afterward. but just have fun!

BumbleBeeDave
09-06-2011, 02:31 PM
. . . not overcooking yourself. Every time I do a centiury there's always a group that starts out riding with their egos instead of their brains. I always end up passing a lot of them because they blow up.

Also the eating . . . eat regularly but not a lot. Also if there's a "lunch stop" watch it and don't eat too much.

BBD

MattTuck
09-06-2011, 02:32 PM

I thought about writing a tongue in cheek post about changing as many things on the bike as possible, adjust your position, get new wheels, rebuild your brifters, put on new cables, get new shorts, try using a new chamois cream, etc.... but decided to keep it positive. AS is right, now is not the time for changing things.

old_fat_and_slow
09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Get a good night's rest the night before.

Make sure you have access to some salty food on the ride (crackers, pretzels, GORP, whatever). After 75 miles or so, you will get sick of all the sugary gels and energy bars.

Don't eat a fat-laden dinner the night before. Eat something that you are familiar with, and you know your body will digest okay overnight.

Pace yourself, Pace yourself, Pace yourself. Do not let your early ride euphoria get the best of you. Use your brain, and hold back. Decision on frequent rest breaks is really a personal decision for you depending on your fitness level.

Good luck, and most importantly HAVE FUN.

PaMtbRider
09-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Don't worry about not riding more than 50 miles to date. If you have a good base mileage, and fitness, you will be fine. Enjoy yourself and ride a pace you can hold a conversation at. Stop at the schedules rest stops as needed but don't spend too much time off the bike. Give us a ride report next week.

mvrider
09-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Find a tandem to draft :-)

I find it useful to study the course, so that I know how much to hold in reserve for that last hill. Be sure to feed that engine enough - once I bonked with 25 miles left in a metric century (the second of the weekend), and it was not fun. I find that boiled potatoes, bananas and P&J sandwiches are the best nourishment (outside of homemade baked goods, of course).

Also, bring enough of your favorite electrolyte powder/pill to refill your bottles along the way. The ones they have at the rest stops may not agree with you.

FlashUNC
09-06-2011, 02:52 PM
As others have said. Take your time. Getting froggy within the first third or half of the ride will likely spell doom for the last bit.

And don't rely too much on the sugary gels and the like. At a certain point, you're going to start wanting real food, though you will need to replace electrolytes throughout the day.

And spring for the post-ride massage. Well worth it.

firerescuefin
09-06-2011, 02:54 PM
you probably should have done a ride >50 in prep, but thats water under the bridge.

tips:

eat before you're hungry

sip water, dont chug

dont overcook yourself in the first 3/4, if you're feeling good at mile 80-85, turn it up then.

AS pretty much nailed it...I would tweak one thing and just say eat throughout the ride. You most likely don't have an endurance athlete's metabolism and are a "sugar burner" (tech term ;) )....so adding coal to the fire is going to be especially important on such a long ride.

dana_e
09-06-2011, 02:55 PM
no need to attack the climbs, the climbs is where you over extend yourself, at least for me, a couple minutes longer per climb will save alot of energy

palincss
09-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Find a tandem to draft :-)

Actually, although I'm sure it was meant in jest, this is the worst possible advice that could be given. Trying to stay with a fast group by drafting is a sure way to get yourself into trouble. 100 miles is a long ride, especially if the farthest you've ever gone is only half that distance. What matters is to pace yourself so you have enough left to finish, not how fast you go.

+1 to the comments about eating and drinking enough. It's easy to forget and find yourself in the hole, but once you're there it's hard to get back out again. Get dehydrated enough, your body will shut you down hard.

mgm777
09-06-2011, 03:33 PM

tips:

eat before you're hungry

sip water, dont chug

+1 Follow this advice and you should do just fine.

rugbysecondrow
09-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Here is a link to my thread on the same subject last year. I had a successful ride.

Best of luck!

Paul

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=78226&highlight=civil

ultraman6970
09-06-2011, 03:38 PM
+1... stop only when necessary too. Some riders stop like each 20 miles and the ride becomes eternal and even u get more tired because u need to grab the pace again blah blah.

If you take sips of water each 10 mins u dont even feel the necessity of stopping but to get more water to fill up the bottles. U can eat while riding too but thats only a detail.

Good luck.

jamesutiopia
09-06-2011, 03:43 PM
AngryScientist is right, especially on pacing

Would also add: don't loaf around at the rest stops and don't stop at every one if there are a lot of them

Enjoy!

bikser
09-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Keep fueled, and hop in a paceline every once in awhile (if you're comfortable with that).

moose8
09-06-2011, 03:56 PM
In addition to eating, don't eat too much. I did one by myself awhile ago and ordered a large chicken parm at the halfway point. I felt like I had lead in my stomach the rest of the ride. A small would have been perfect. I still don't know what i was thinking because I knew better, but I was tired and hungry.

rwsaunders
09-06-2011, 03:57 PM
With condition, nutrition and hydration as givens, the wind and the weather can be your enemies or your friends on an extended ride. I try and prep for the worse case and go from there, in terms of clothing. Those mini chamois butter packs are handy too if it's hot or wet outside. William has been known to sub them for gels, he's so tough.

As others have said, pace yourself with a riding buddy or locate the best looking woman who rides at your tempo. I stopped using a computer a few years ago, which I found to be helpful. There's always someone with a Garmin who will give you the stats when all is over.

Enjoy yourself and be safe! We expect photos too... :cool:

JDtwowheels
09-06-2011, 04:37 PM
1. Have fun
2. Spin up the hills dont hammer up them
3. Pace yourself
4. Eat Drink and be merry.

you will be fine. Just think of it as two 50 mile rides.

pdmtong
09-06-2011, 04:46 PM
What's your goal? to finish, and not be hurting? or, to finish in a certain time?

assuming the former, +1 on what folks have already said and make a mental note that when you hit miles 70-85, and are feeling like you are done, to just notch it down and enjoy it. pretty soon, you pass through the mental dead spot, and hey, there are only 12 miles ot go...then 8 ...then 4....next thing you know, you have ridden your first century. you kow your body and what it needs. pay attention ot it!

1centaur
09-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Always ride at least 10% slower than you think you could at any given moment. That will help you pace yourself as everybody said.

Don't eat small amounts every 20 minutes thinking that will keep you constantly topped up. Your stomach will turn on you by hour 4 because it's not emptying fast enough.

norcalbiker
09-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Find a good looking girls and start a conversation. You'd be done before you know it. :D

firerescuefin
09-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Don't eat small amounts every 20 minutes thinking that will keep you constantly topped up. Your stomach will turn on you by hour 4 because it's not emptying fast enough.

Have never heard of or experienced this. Constantly eating (eating at regular intervals) has always worked for me and has a lot of backing...I don't mean get bloated. Can you expound on this a little.

markie
09-06-2011, 06:25 PM
In addition to the great advice:

Smile

Have Fun

Chat with random people that are riding around you

Say nice bike to the person on the lugged steel frame

Enjoy the scenery

Break the ride mentally into small sections, perhaps each rest stop. Then each ride is only 20 miles or so.

Always leave the rest stops with two full water bottles and an banana. At the end the last 20 miles might take you longer than expected and some extra food and water is handy

Start the ride with a power bar in your pocket. Nothing worse than getting hungry after the start and the first rest stop not having food/not being open/running out of food....

Fixed
09-06-2011, 07:00 PM
. . . not overcooking yourself. Every time I do a centiury there's always a group that starts out riding with their egos instead of their brains. I always end up passing a lot of them because they blow up.

Also the eating . . . eat regularly but not a lot. Also if there's a "lunch stop" watch it and don't eat too much.

BBD
+1
good advise
cheers have fun

wc1934
09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
I like to have a general knowledge of the route/distances. More of a psychological thing, but seems to help me (as I don't do well if I don't know what is up coming).
Good luck and as everyone has said, have fun!

stephenmarklay
09-06-2011, 07:18 PM
I think the only input that I might have that has not been covered here 10 times is not to stop too much.

For me a century ride usually has one stop at 50. Now I am not saying that you do that but when you stop your legs will start to get tight. So each time you will have to get back in the groove. Also, the further along you get the less desire you will have to pedal more and stopping makes that even less enticing.

So follow everyone's advice. The more comfortable you are the longer you will feel like riding without stopping. You don't have time to make a lot of changes but wear your best shorts, use the butt cream and try not to mash the gears too much.

Have a ton of fun. My first century was very gratifying. I went with some racer dudes and I was cooked. I didn't go easy as it was a "training ride" for them When I parted ways the last couple of miles my legs locked up hard. I could barely turn over the pedals. It was great :banana:

sjbraun
09-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Forget about time

Start out slower than you want to ride, (its way more fun to pass people in the last 30 miles than it is to be passed because you burned too many matches in the adrenaline filled first 30 miles.)

Eat frequently, in small amounts

Let yourself stop for a break once or twice, 10 minutes off the bike can do a world of good for the sore neck, cramped back you might feel at some point

Good luck and enjoy your ride.

jr59
09-06-2011, 07:50 PM
how about pedal your bike! :p

Besides that, keep in mind a century is just a big old #. It's really four 25 mile rides done in one day. Relax, and enjoy yourself.

verticaldoug
09-06-2011, 08:21 PM
I think Matt's advice is best: have fun, you get to ride your bike.

If you ride 50, you should be able to ride 100. Since most of your rides are shorter where eating is not required, you may not eat enough and bonk somewhere around 70-80 mile mark. If you feel the bonk, do the emergency country store stop- Eat a banana and slam a Coke. In 10 minutes, you will feel as good as new.

If you want to be a way more nerdy about it, check out this article to dial in your nutrition:
http://www.infinitloop.com/2010/01/calculating-cycling-calories.html

You can estimate your hourly burn, and then have a rough guide on how many calories to supplement with. Generally, replacing a 1/3 of the burn works for me. If you do not regularly consume gels on the bike, I would not
risk eating too many as this can cause GI. Fig Newtons work well.

dhoff
09-06-2011, 08:38 PM
What has been written is very good. I have noticed the following about myself:

-If I don't have to pee avery 25 to 30 miles, I am not drinking enough
-If the need to pee comes on suddenly then my electrolyte level is low
-I like real food better than bars after the first 4 hours
-If it rains I use Bag Balm instead of Chamois Cream. It is not good for the clothes, but it's stil there at the end of the day
-I bring Immodium and Rolaids on any long ride over 5 hours, I have needed each of them and even both (on a 24 hour ride, it was bad)

congratulations on being the kind of person who takes on big challenges

-d

PBWrench
09-06-2011, 08:41 PM
I always stretch a bit at rest stops and that helps. Don't forget caffeine if you are an addict. Echoing other comments, socializing is one of the best parts of a large organized century. Wear a jersey that tells a story to others. Start conversations with pretty girls -- flirting on a bike is an art form. At mile 75 start fantasizing about your post-ride meal. Or about the pretty girl you're riding with! :cool:

palincss
09-06-2011, 09:08 PM
For me a century ride usually has one stop at 50. Now I am not saying that you do that but when you stop your legs will start to get tight. So each time you will have to get back in the groove. Also, the further along you get the less desire you will have to pedal more and stopping makes that even less enticing.

That's very unusual advice, and I doubt it would work for more than a tiny fraction of the folks on this forum -- and most certainly I wouldn't advise any first-time century rider to consider it.

Generally, organized centuries have rest stops at reasonable distances. You paid for them, might as well get some value out of them.

the night owl
09-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Mentally divide the ride up into quarters. Make sure that you don't expend too much effort in the first three quarters. Assuming that you're doing a group ride, don't chase things early if it requires you to go harder than your normal long ride pace. You have to be disciplined on this point. My riding partner and I have done some long organized rides together. Inevitably he foolishly fires bullets early in the ride that should be saved for the real show and tell time late in the ride.

Make sure you take care to drink and eat properly. If you get very far behind in your fluid or calorie intake, you'll never catch up. I agree that a coke is your best chance to come back from the dead.

stephenmarklay
09-06-2011, 09:48 PM
That's very unusual advice, and I doubt it would work for more than a tiny fraction of the folks on this forum -- and most certainly I wouldn't advise any first-time century rider to consider it.

Generally, organized centuries have rest stops at reasonable distances. You paid for them, might as well get some value out of them.

My advice was not to do as I do, just not to stop just to stop. You can make a long ride a lot longer buy stopping too much...

I am not sure that is really that unusual. For instance the first time I road the Seattle to Portland I made the mistake of stopping at every stop. I made a long day a very long day. In a bigger ride you can easily spend a half hour at each stop. Choose the stops wisely is my advice.

Peter B
09-06-2011, 09:52 PM
eat before you're hungry (~200-300 cal/hr)
drink before you're thirsty (~20-28oz/hr depending on heat & effort)
replenish electrolytes, especially if hot (v8 works well)
pace yourself & save some for the last 20-30 miles (ride *your* pace, not that of the fastest rider)
have fun! (it's why you're out there)

chuckred
09-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Be responsible for your safety and of those around you. Big crowds of cyclists tend to get into a herd mentality, and can lead you into trouble. Don't cross the yellow line on blind corners or the crest of a hill - even if the guy leading the pace line does. Don't follow the pace line between a bus stopping at a bus stop and the curb. if you're slow, don't worry about it. But don't take up the whole road... (no, not making these up, actual events I've seen!)

Have fun, enjoy the ride, keep moving, and don't turn off the survival part of your brain!

edl
09-06-2011, 11:26 PM
socializing is one of the best parts of a large organized century. Wear a jersey that tells a story to others. Start conversations with pretty girls -- flirting on a bike is an art form. At mile 75 start fantasizing about your post-ride meal. Or about the pretty girl you're riding with! :cool:

+1,000,000 :D :beer:

SoCalSteve
09-06-2011, 11:39 PM
As an endurance cycling coach, all the advice given so far is very good!

I just have 1 piece of advice...at the SAG stops, use the restroom first, fill up your water bottles next and then grab food. Don't eat til your stuffed, just enough to get you to the next SAG ( usually every 20 miles)...

And, the last piece of advice is...don't spend any length of time at the stops. Dont sit, don't doddle...get right back on the bike as soon as you've pee'd filled water bottles and eaten.

Good luck and enjoy!

cat6
09-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Take a PEP (performance enhancing poop), a bit of early morning coffee does it for me. When a pack comes roaring by, don't hop on and try to make pace. Stick with your group, if you're riding solo just have fun and enjoy the ride.

Have fun!

1centaur
09-07-2011, 05:05 AM
Have never heard of or experienced this. Constantly eating (eating at regular intervals) has always worked for me and has a lot of backing...I don't mean get bloated. Can you expound on this a little.

Worst I have ever felt on a century was when I ate a fig newton every time I drank, which was about every 20 minutes. Upset stomach. I read later that as a long ride progresses the cycle of eating and then breaking down real food becomes more difficult as new food gets piled in before the old food has been broken down sufficiently and moved on. I think this is why people often change food types as a ride progresses - gels for example.

stephenmarklay
09-07-2011, 06:03 AM
This makes me laugh. I went with some buddies once on century (it was about 8 hours away so we all had to pile in a car and drive)

One of our friends had not really been riding much at all and did not have a bike well suited. It was rough going but he figured the more gel and fig newtons that he could stuff down the better.

Well that did not work out so well. His body started to revolt. You see, gastric emptying is not at its best when you are working hard and a stomach full of food does not help your ability to stay hydrated.

The result of this was dehydration and a trip to the ER. It was not a great day for him but he learned the lesson and this year did his first double century.

From my own experience, my worst long rides were the ones that I ate all the food given at each of the stops. Once I had to stop in the woods, several times, due to stomach upset.

My best and fastest centuries were done without breakfast and only liquid (Hammer sports drink) liberally during the ride. NOT saying to do that this time around at all.

You honestly don't need that much food. For sure eat a good breakfast of not just carbohydrates. A stick to your ribs breakfast will carry longer into the ride. That helps if the pace is slow and the day is long. I think if you eat like you normally would during the day; Breakfast, Snank, Lunch Snack you are golden. As others stated hitting the wall can happen and sugar and a bit of rest will help.

Worst I have ever felt on a century was when I ate a fig newton every time I drank, which was about every 20 minutes. Upset stomach. I read later that as a long ride progresses the cycle of eating and then breaking down real food becomes more difficult as new food gets piled in before the old food has been broken down sufficiently and moved on. I think this is why people often change food types as a ride progresses - gels for example.

Dave B
09-07-2011, 06:24 AM
You can also just crash in the first mile and then you don't have to finish. :beer:

I think in all seriousness, try not to worry too much. Loads of advice here and so much of it good stuff.

I would say enjoy the experience. Since you are not getting paid to ride, no prizes for first, then the worry of placing means eff-all. Enjoy the experience, the people, the country blah blah blah.

On long rides I lose myself and look at other bikes, see what people are riding. I dread hills and struggle up them, but boy do I enjoy the downhill part. find moments during the ride to soak it all in and enjoy the folks. There will always be odd folks who show up in costume, with strange bikes and all kinds of stuff. I usually try to find the crazy chich who brought a radio attached to her bike and follow her and listen to music.

One last thing. If you can't finish don't beat yourself up. Just know you need to put a bit more work in next time. The more fun you have the less you worry about the miles or finishing. some of the best long rides I have had were when I got lost in conversation and ended up finishing sooner then I imagined.

Best of luck to you!

CaptStash
09-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Lots of good advice here. Also lots of conflicting advice about when and how often to stop. My suggestion is to think back to your 50 mile ride and consider how often you stopped. Use that as a guide to the century ride. In my opinion, based on my own experience, you won't need to stop much more frequently.

If you did the 50 without stopping, you will probably be golden just stopping two or three times. If you normally like to stop every 20 miles, then do that. What can be a killer when you ratchet up the mileage is changing too many things.

For me, I am comfortable with the stopping every fifty routine. I usually do a metric without stopping and did the STP double with four stops; but that is also how I like to train (little or no stopping). Go with how YOU train and you will be fine.

Also, +1 on the following previously made suggestions:
Complement people on their bikes (it makes their day)
Chat while you ride - make new friends
Don't dawdle at the rest stops.
Eat reasonable amounts of real food
Caffeine is your friend - unless you don't ever use it.
Have fun have fun have fun - Matt was right, you're riding bikes is fun!

CaptStash....

JBone
09-07-2011, 09:09 AM
sunscreen + chapstick
start eating your pasta 2 days before the ride
find a group going at your pace and draft... at least for a little while
chat, time will go by faster
don't stop at the first SAG... too crowded

enjoy.

almost forgot and the most important thing to do before a long ride... #2, it gets messy later at the SAG stops.

jr59
09-07-2011, 09:11 AM
I got 1 more.

DO NOT try to wear new stuff. ie... shoes, bibs, jerseys, anything like that!

Old and steady will be good. It's a very bad day when you find out your whatever is rubbing a place raw and you have 35 miles to go.

R2D2
09-07-2011, 09:18 AM
You might try Lantiseptic versus Chamois Crreme.
Here's on palce to purchase:
http://adventurejoes.com/manufacturer/lantiseptic/

It is basically lanolin and bees wax.
It has a very thick consistency and stays put for a long time.
It has become the favorite for many of the Rando crowd.

On riding take it easy on the way out. It is very easy to get caught up in the intitial excitement and tear out early in an event only to find you are exhausted at the half way point.

And when all else fails try to do 15 mph and don't quit (stop/start).

But most importantly enjoy the ride and get your century done.
I used to get nervous over long distances and my Bro' would calm me down by remnding me it's just a bike ride.

godfrey1112000
09-07-2011, 10:12 AM
I got 1 more.

DO NOT try to wear new stuff. ie... shoes, bibs, jerseys, anything like that!

Old and steady will be good. It's a very bad day when you find out your whatever is rubbing a place raw and you have 35 miles to go.

All excellent points, especially this one, also never adjust or touch the bike 2-3 days before you ride, if you need adjustments, new somethings like tires or cables try to ride it a couple of time before your event.

I also were my Vecchio's Bicicletteria jersey, the chicks love it

have fun remember only the last 50 feet count so make good :beer:

tv_vt
09-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Not much more to say, but haven't seen much reference to ibuprofen/advil. I take a couple with morning breakfast before a century, and carry a few with me, in case knees start to act up. If it's cool, knee warmers are your friend. Vest, too. Easy to pack in pocket if it warms up.

Carry one bottle of water, one of electrolytes - on the concentrated side. Try to drain two waters for every electrolyte bottle, or more.

Enjoy the scenery, especially of the opposite sex. Nothing like a century to bring out wonderfully fit beauties! ;)

Relax, believe in yourself, have fun. Remember, it could be worse - you could be home mowing the lawn or something.

palincss
09-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Not much more to say, but haven't seen much reference to ibuprofen/advil. I take a couple with morning breakfast before a century, and carry a few with me, in case knees start to act up.

No longer recommended.

The Bottom Line on NSAID Use During Sports
The bottom line was ibuprofen use by endurance athletes did not affect performance, muscle damage or perceived soreness but it was associated with elevated indicators of inflammation and cell damage. It’s a reasonable assumption that using NSAIDs has no positive effect on sports performance. It may, in fact, cause a serious health risk in some endurance athletes.
-- http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/medicationanddrugs/a/NSAID_endurance.htm

stephenmarklay
09-07-2011, 11:12 AM
No longer recommended.

You are taking this out of context. The OP is not using this for better performance or delayed onset muscle soreness. He is using it to reduce inflammation associated with the ride and most certainly can relieve pain for this reason.

I personally don't take nsaids but its hard to argue that they do work. I now take Tumeric concentrate and that helps me out a lot.

palincss
09-07-2011, 11:23 AM
You are taking this out of context. The OP is not using this for better performance or delayed onset muscle soreness. He is using it to reduce inflammation associated with the ride and most certainly can relieve pain for this reason.

It was my impression he was taking them prophylactically, with more in reserve in the event of pain.

I take a couple with morning breakfast before a century, and carry a few with me, in case knees start to act up.

What's more, the research quoted indicated that doing so increased inflammation and cell damage.

stephenmarklay
09-07-2011, 11:41 AM
It was my impression he was taking them prophylactically, with more in reserve in the event of pain.

What's more, the research quoted indicated that doing so increased inflammation and cell damage.

True but I don't see anything in this summary about joint inflammation or related. Again, this singular study, speaks to enhancing athletic performance with NSAIDS not what the OP was talking about.

Additionally, even with athletic performance, the jury is certainly not out on this. Many or maybe most powerlifters eat them like candy and they do not seem to suffer from increased muscle damage or a decrease in performance.

palincss
09-07-2011, 01:12 PM
True but I don't see anything in this summary about joint inflammation or related.

"...was associated with elevated indicators of inflammation..."

zap
09-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Many or maybe most powerlifters eat them like candy and they do not seem to suffer from increased muscle damage or a decrease in performance.

way ot here but........I would not look to this group for any long life suggestions.

Anyhow, this 100 mile ride........not a big deal.......just a longer ride or 4 25 mile jaunts.

Don't draft a tandem if this is your first longer ride.

Have fun :beer:

BCS
09-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Don't let a mechanical ruin your day. Lube your chain, take an extra tube or 3 with you, carry a small multitool and a mini-pump. I would not rely on the SAG stops for any kind of mechanical expertise

bambam
09-07-2011, 01:42 PM
look for article and noutrition for Brevet Riders. Its been a while since I started doing centuries but a good nights rest the night before seemed the most helpful.

Most advice seems good.
Don't try any new shorts,shoes,helmets or gloves.
Carry something sweet to eat.
Carry something salty to eat.
Sunscreen.
Boudreauxs' butte paste (Diaper Rash ointment)
Tums With Calcuim for uspet stomach and cramping.
If you carry 2 bottles of sports drink replace one with water.(sometimes sugary drinks will get warm and to syrupy to drink.)
V8 if you start to bonk (potasium and sodium)
Ibuprofin if aches occur.
Take you time and have fun.
Camera for pictures of the adventure.
If you eat lunch make it a light one or just be prepared to be slower for 5 miles after lunch until the blood leaves your stomach and returns to your legs.

Good Luck,
BamBam

pjmsj21
09-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I have a 115 mile ride this Sunday so all of this good advice was a nice refresher for me as well.

One additional and often overlooked item is to make sure you bring some nice comfortable after ride clothes to change into assuming you are not riding to the start. Having comfortable clothes, nice bath towel, baby wipes etc make your ride home a lot more comfortable.

Pat Mc

stephenmarklay
09-07-2011, 07:41 PM
"...was associated with elevated indicators of inflammation..."

I guess we have just have to be at odds on this one as we don't seem to be talking the same talk... I say that Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs relieve pain and inflammation and you disagree so that's fine.

Andrewlcox
09-08-2011, 02:50 AM
Wow, I'm the one who started this thread and can't believe all the great advice. I am really looking forward to it and will tell you all how it went Sunday night.

Thanks for all the support,
Andy Cox
Decatur, IL

palincss
09-08-2011, 06:13 AM
I'm looking forward to reading your ride report as a conclusion to this thread, as I'm sure are many others who have contributed advice and shared experiences.

Andrewlcox
09-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm back from my first Century ride. It went great! Our time on the bikes was 6 hours and 40 minutes. The key to our success was pace pace pace.

We naturally rode about 15.5 mph and used the hills for some free speed. We took breaks for food and drink about every 25 miles out of convenience because the 3 routes planned for us went directly by the pavilion serving food, drinks and had toilets.

We saw a few good looking girls but they were going to opposite direction every time.

I really hammered the last fifteen miles. My friend was about to jam something into my spokes to slow me down. I figured we were home free and had nothing to lose.

My friend got a puncture flat at about mile 25 but we fixed it in under 10 minutes and didn't have any more mechanical issues. Those CO2 things really work good.

The whole day I only saw 1 Serotta and it was Ti. I must have seen 20 Waterfords though.

I just got back from a 2 mile walk and think I'm going to call it a day.

My Trek 7.5FX fitness bike performed great but I still want a steel lugged Serotta. I don't know when I'll ride again, I guess it depends how my body feels tomorrow. I should tell you my neck and shoulders were bound up from mile 60 to 100 and I had a semi numb but hot ball left foot from about mile 50 to the end.

Thanks for all of the advice. It was very useful and I doubt we could have made it the full 100 without it.

Thanks,
Andy

chuckroast
09-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Andy, congratulations on a successful first century. It sounds like everything went exceptionally well and you had a good time (which is the best part of bike riding).

Now, do yourself a favor and go for a short easy ride tomorrow to loosen up your legs a little bit.

You''ll be glad you did, it helps with the recovery.

AngryScientist
09-11-2011, 06:57 PM
good work andy!! an accomplishment no doubt, rest, and let your body tell you when to ride again. :beer:

henrypretz
09-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Great work, Andy!!
Congratulations!
:beer:
Henry

jr59
09-11-2011, 08:46 PM
good work andy!! an accomplishment no doubt, rest, and let your body tell you when to ride again. :beer:

+1
I would add; Even if you don't feel like riding, you may or may not feel like it.

If you don't, Go for an easy walk, swim or something like that. Just be gently active! Not much, but don't just veg out!

Good job with the ride! Before long you will be doing them 2-3 times a month.

dhoff
09-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I now take Tumeric concentrate and that helps me out a lot.

+1Billion

I am giving up the chemicals and replacing them with real food and nutrients. The benefits of Tumeric are huge, downsides, none.

dhoff
09-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Congratulations!

Well done. RIDE on Monday. Just a little but, but ride. Your recovery will be faster and you will enjoy the crap out of it. Spin easy, 15-20 minutes or more. But when you are doing it, be the guy with the huge grin, knowing that you rode a century just yesterday.

And when you want to ride another, or a double, or a 24, let's talk.

I am a Board Member and a big fan of the Ultra Marathon Cycling Association http://www.ultracycling.com/ and love to see people getting into long rides. We track hundreds of rides per year all over the country beginning at 100 miles and going way up from there. I am a novice at this and lookign for more novices.

again, Congratulations.

palincss
09-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Congratulations, and welcome to the club!

ultraman6970
09-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Congrats man!... take the stuff really easy, and take a couple of days off the bike, is good to ride but ride too much is too bad as well.

Stan Lee
09-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Congrats- sounds like everything went well.

troymac
09-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Have fun: like most others advice ... don't burn up early , smile it will be over before you know it :)

palincss
09-12-2011, 01:55 PM
I should tell you my neck and shoulders were bound up from mile 60 to 100 and I had a semi numb but hot ball left foot from about mile 50 to the end.

Next time that foot thing happens, stop and remove your shoes for 1-2 minutes. As the day goes on and it gets hotter, your feet swell and what was once comfortable becomes too tight, cutting off circulation.

Neck and shoulder issues are more varied. Sometimes this happens because you're tensing up, clenching your teeth, etc. Sometimes consciously relaxing and moving your head around helps. Sometimes it's position on the bike.

bambam
09-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Congratulations on your first century. Glad it went well.
If your up to it I would do an easy short recovery ride today where you concetrate on spinning and not mashing to aide in recovery.
I usually don't feel sore the next day but usually 2 days after a tough ride.

tiretrax
09-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Next time that foot thing happens, stop and remove your shoes for 1-2 minutes. As the day goes on and it gets hotter, your feet swell and what was once comfortable becomes too tight, cutting off circulation.

Neck and shoulder issues are more varied. Sometimes this happens because you're tensing up, clenching your teeth, etc. Sometimes consciously relaxing and moving your head around helps. Sometimes it's position on the bike.
Congratulations. Do another soon. It sounds like rode self-supported. Find a charity ride in your area (do a search for the websites of bike clubs in your area).

All good advice above, especially about the feet and neck. When you've removed your shoes, vigorously rub the hot spots and your toes with your thumb. I have this problem after 50- 60 miles. Keep the shoes slightly looser than you think they should be. Regarding your neck/shoulders - roll your head and shoulders occasionally. If your neck and shoulders are tense, chances are your fingers will become numb. Alternately, remove one hand from your handlbar, place it behind your back and wiggle your fingers for 10-30 seconds, as needed.

Also, stand up while riding periodically. I am surprised that no one mentioned this. I don't remember what's recommended, but as soon as I start to feel numbness in the crotch, I shift to a higher gear and stand and pedal for 10 - 60 seconds. It will help to keep you from washing your shoes during a "natural break". Oh yeah, if you're out in the country, pee on the side of the road - well of to the side of the road.

biker72
09-12-2011, 05:30 PM
My Trek 7.5FX fitness bike performed great but I still want a steel lugged Serotta. I don't know when I'll ride again, I guess it depends how my body feels tomorrow. I should tell you my neck and shoulders were bound up from mile 60 to 100 and I had a semi numb but hot ball left foot from about mile 50 to the end.

Thanks for all of the advice. It was very useful and I doubt we could have made it the full 100 without it.

Thanks,
Andy

If you did that well on a Trek hybrid for 100 miles you should almost fly on a Serotta...any Serotta... :)

stephenmarklay
09-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Super cool on the ride. I find fiddling with your position to be generally useful with discomfort in the neck and shoulders along with what was said about relaxing. More time on the bike will help with that and perhaps a bike fitting session would be useful.

All kinds of great advice out to good use. Love it.

palincss
09-12-2011, 06:52 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about improving the fit on that flat-barred "fitness bike". I think anyone who can ride his first century in that kind of time on that kind of bike won't be riding something like that for long.