PDA

View Full Version : OT: Exploring the Ocean live with Dr. Ballard

William
09-06-2011, 09:56 AM
If you think you are an amatuer Oceanographer or Marine Biologist like me ...or even a pro you might find this interesting:

Our family has been following their expedition since we discovered it on our last trip to Mystic Aquarium. Mystic is helping support and share the information with the public. I grew up on Puget Sound and my grandparents lived right on the Pacific in WA and I've always loved exploring salt water bodies and been fascinated by the sea and the life in and around it. Our daughter is showing interest in this direction as well and we find this site very interesting and informative on what goes on during these scientific expeditions.

http://www.nautiluslive.org/

"This summer, Dr. Robert Ballard, Dr. Katherine Croff Bell, and their team will launch an exciting expedition on the E/V Nautilus to explore ancient history and learn more about the ocean. The expedition will start in the Black Sea in July, continue in the Aegean, Mediterranean, and Atlantic in the summer and fall, and finish in November off the coast of Israel. Nautilus expedition scientists will map the sea floor, study underwater volcanoes, investigate unusual life forms, explore shipwrecks, and more.

The Nautilus expedition is special because it will offer you a chance to take part in ocean exploration history. A satellite dish on the ship will transmit live video and other data from the expedition 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Scientists on shore will use the data to take part in the expedition from afar. But you do not have to be a scientist to share the thrill of discovery. You will be able to hear what Dr. Ballard, Dr. Bell, and their team are saying and view what they are seeing in real time on the Nautilus Live website. Read on to find out more about the plan for each part of the expedition. Nobody knows how the plans will turn out or what kinds of discoveries might be made. So be sure to tune in and find out!"

Villgaxx
09-06-2011, 11:24 PM
i always thought that ballard got screwed when james cameron essentially killed the legitimate titanic stuff with that execrable movie.

RFC
09-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Interesting. I have heard Ballard speak several times. He is heavily into getting young potential scientists involved (STEM). He has said that those who have experience with "joy sticks" and computer games are naturals when driving devices such as Alvin. BTW, I know one of the original Alvin designers, but that is another story.

William
09-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Interesting. I have heard Ballard speak several times. He is heavily into getting young potential scientists involved (STEM). He has said that those who have experience with "joy sticks" and computer games are naturals when driving devices such as Alvin. BTW, I know one of the original Alvin designers, but that is another story.

An interesting story I'll bet.

This has happened a couple of times in the last few days..... "Hold it, what's that? Move over and check it out..... <Hercules moving slowly>......What IS that? I think it's......yep, a plastic bag". :crap:

They have been coming across quite a bit of trash out there. Makes me sad.

William

tiretrax
09-08-2011, 03:59 PM
An interesting story I'll bet.

This has happened a couple of times in the last few days..... "Hold it, what's that? Move over and check it out..... <Hercules moving slowly>......What IS that? I think it's......yep, a plastic bag". :crap:

They have been coming across quite a bit of trash out there. Makes me sad.

William
Good thing they're not going to the Pacific. The northern Pac is a heap of plastic trash.

William, are you involved in the Narragansett Bay Estuary Program (or, would you like to be)?

William
09-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Good thing they're not going to the Pacific. The northern Pac is a heap of plastic trash.

William, are you involved in the Narragansett Bay Estuary Program (or, would you like to be)?

I'm not but I just Googled their website. This looks very interesting. Thanks for the heads up! :cool:

William

tiretrax
09-08-2011, 05:22 PM
there are usually roles for citizens to play. i'll be glad to hook you up. they do great stuff with small amounts of funding.

William
09-08-2011, 08:50 PM
there are usually roles for citizens to play. i'll be glad to hook you up. they do great stuff with small amounts of funding.

That would be great, especially since the whole family is interested.

William

William
07-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Currently exploring the Gulf of Mexico and finding many shipwrecks....

http://www.nautiluslive.org/

William

tiretrax
07-24-2013, 09:29 AM
I forgot about this thread and your interest in the ocean, William. He was here in earlier this year getting some publicity. Very cool dude.