PDA

View Full Version : OT: Waterproof digital camera recommendation

Hank Scorpio
09-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Hello,

I am looking for a simple waterproof digital camera. I was looking at the Panasonic Lumix TS3. Does anyone have experience with this model or a recommendation on another to check out? I would like to keep it under $500 if possible.

Thanks
James

Likes2ridefar
09-06-2011, 09:38 AM
i have the ts10 and it's a fantastic camera for it's suited purpose. it takes good quality photos above water as well.

GregL
09-06-2011, 11:11 AM
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_d10

Got one for my wife before last year's vacation in Hawaii. We have been very, very pleased with it. Waterproof to 10 meters and pretty rugged too.

-Greg

vqdriver
09-06-2011, 12:14 PM
i'm also shopping for the same.
that canon seems to get consistently good reviews but i can't really get over the toyish look of it since we'll be using it as our only p&s camera.

i've only tried the fujifilm underwater camera and promptly returned it. pretty lousy image quality and very laggy.

currently looking at the olympus line, but i wasn't aware of the lumix. i'll have to check that out

vqdriver
09-06-2011, 12:32 PM
here's a recent roundup

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest/

GregL
09-06-2011, 12:46 PM
that canon seems to get consistently good reviews but i can't really get over the toyish look of it since we'll be using it as our only p&s camera.
I felt the same way about the Canon, but after using it the looks became a non-issue. It's easy to use underwater, both still image and video qualities are good, and it appears to be pretty rugged. I like the fact that you can get it soaked in sweat in a jersey pocket with no worries. Just rinse /soak it in fresh water when done and it's good as new.

-Greg

johnnymossville
09-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Panasonic TS3

aosty
09-06-2011, 02:09 PM
After ruining several cameras on the bike (dirt, dust, drops, sweat, etc.), I picked up a Panasonic TS1 a couple of years ago and love it. If I had to buy one today, the TS3 would probably be my top choice.

The Sony TX10 is slimmer and was also rated well by DPreview (linked my vqdriver above). The interface on the recently announced Nikon AW100 looks pretty neat and worth a look too.

Chief
09-06-2011, 02:37 PM
If you already have a camera, you may want to check out one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/DiCAPac-Waterproof-Cases/ci/18282/N/4171976849

Hank Scorpio
09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
I really like the Panasonic on paper as well but I was concerned with the exposed lens getting smudged when it is in a jersey pocket on rides. Owners have a problem with this or is it even a legitimate concern?

bikerboy337
09-06-2011, 07:06 PM
I pickrd one up from best buy, refurbished, for under 100 shipped. Great for a quick and easy point and shot, quality is nowhere near our dig. Slr, but its a blast to use in the pool, rain, etc, plus the video is really god 720p...but I just wanted a simple point and shoot

LiteFM
09-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Hey Hank, we all know you want pics of yourself getting shacked this hurricane season. I own an Optio W80 and quite like it. It's cheap and takes great pics! Took it to Nicaragua last year and had a blast with it. It's very sturdy and compact.

fogrider
09-06-2011, 11:35 PM
I really like the Panasonic on paper as well but I was concerned with the exposed lens getting smudged when it is in a jersey pocket on rides. Owners have a problem with this or is it even a legitimate concern?
well, like with everything, it does take a little attention. I got the TS10 and its about what I expected. its a p&s camera that is less than 200 bucks that takes decent photos. one of my concerns was durability and read some reviews where the lens movement on other cameras was an issue; this design removes most of that issue. I'm still getting used to the camera, but it takes nice pics and nice video.

indyrider
09-07-2011, 05:30 AM
Panasonic TS3

+1

that guy
09-07-2011, 09:34 AM
I have an older Olympus Stylus Tough and I hate it.

There's the new Nikon AW100 that I would be looking at if I had the scratch.

IFRider
09-07-2011, 11:53 AM

The lens exposed is not a problem. I often walk around with the TS2 in my regular shorts pockets and getting fingers on the lens. Simply wipe as needed with a tshirt or micro fiber cloth. In a jersey, I would just be sure to face the lens away from your skin and you should be fine. I use it Mtn biking and boating a lot. It is very waterproof although you need to take care to keep the seals clean (any one of these cameras). Buy a big enough card so you don't change it in the field.

The TS2 came with a silicone cover that helps keep if from getting scratched up. WHat is nice is the movie can be in jpg or AVHC lite. The AVHC mode is very good although needs to be converted for web posting. AVHC takes little space compared to JPG.

I chose the Panasonic as it was a good form factor and has a dedicated video button. I have a Canon G10 and looked at the Canon waterproof but the form factor was goofy and too big.

DHallerman
09-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a simple waterproof digital camera. I was looking at the Panasonic Lumix TS3. Does anyone have experience with this model or a recommendation on another to check out? I would like to keep it under $500 if possible.

Wow, I just ordered the Lumix TS3 yesterday...before I saw this thread.

I had been thinking of it for a while, since I wanted waterproof and I've been totally delighted by my Lumix ZS-3 -- the quality of the pix, even the video mode.

And I bought the TS3 yesterday partially because the red one was down to $270 on Amazon (it also comes in silver, blue and orange).

So, don't have experience with it yet, but I'm in the ballgame.

JLP
09-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Timely as well.

My Pentax WP served me well for about 6 or 7 years, but it finally gave up the ghost.

I just ordered the Panasonic TS3 as I think the image stabilization will be helpful on darkish pacific northwest rainy days.

For me the other contender was a new Pentax, but it is not rated as highly in lower light conditions.

Eagerly awaiting the UPS truck.