PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hike with the family yesterday

stephenmarklay
09-06-2011, 07:09 AM
My wife, kids (almost 3 and 6) went on a 8 mile hike yesterday. It was mildly challenging at times with some steeper grades, switch backs and washout. Since we had my 3 year old son and 6 year old daughter it was not really fast going. We stopped midway at a waterfall and ate our lunch. All in all it took 5 hours.

We went in really concerned about my son. When your legs are about a foot long that's a lot of steps. We brought an all terrain stroller that I decided to leave in the car at the last minute (good thing as I would have been carrying it since it was tight single file with 10-15% grades for a couple of miles). I used some bodyglide on my kids feet to avoid chaffing and that seemed to work with the Teva's and socks as we had no sore piggies at the end.

Well in the end we did do some piggy back rides and riding on the shoulders etc. But not that much. We all took a swim in a lake at the end of the day and my kids were the only ones still running!

Moral of the story is that kids are darn durable :)

itsflantastic
09-06-2011, 07:20 AM
They almost always surpass expectations. I recently went camping and used a tent I hadn't been in since I was about 5. The smell came back to me instantaneously. Getting outside with the family while you are lil' is a big deal.
Nice work, dad!

thinpin
09-06-2011, 07:27 AM
We use different yard sticks. Kids measure by the gut-full we measure in inches.

stephenmarklay
09-06-2011, 08:07 AM
They almost always surpass expectations. I recently went camping and used a tent I hadn't been in since I was about 5. The smell came back to me instantaneously. Getting outside with the family while you are lil' is a big deal.
Nice work, dad!

We went tent camping about 4 weeks ago and it was perfect. The kids had a ball. It was up in British Columbia (Kootenay lake).

I think we will do it once more yet this year.