PDA

View Full Version : Giro Shoes...???

buldogge
09-05-2011, 11:42 PM
I've been having a look at Giro shoes...specifically the Code and Gauge.

Anyone have any direct experience? No place to try them on locally (strange)...wondering how they fit...???

I wear a 45 in Specialized...wondering if I need a 45.5 in these...

11US in street shoes.

Any insight beyond sizing appreciated as well.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

rice rocket
09-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Do you dislike the Specialized shoes? Seems like most people who go Specialized never go back to anything else. I'm still waiting for my bank account to fill up before I walk in the store and end up having to swap all my shoes over. ;)

buldogge
09-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Hey rr... Not at all! I own a pair of the Specialized Sonomas, which are pretty comfy, but heavy.

I would love a pair of the S-Works MTB but they are super expensive...I was looking at the Pros as an alternative, and these Giros are the same weight as the Pros, with similar features for a bit less...plus...I found a nice sale on them in my size(s).

-Mark

Do you dislike the Specialized shoes? Seems like most people who go Specialized never go back to anything else. I'm still waiting for my bank account to fill up before I walk in the store and end up having to swap all my shoes over. ;)

Charles M
09-06-2011, 09:27 AM
I didn't think they were out yet... I tried em at camp and they seemed sized roughly the same as specialized.

sg8357
09-06-2011, 09:34 AM
I didn't think they were out yet... I tried em at camp and they seemed sized roughly the same as specialized.

The LBS has them, tried them, sizing seems Sidi like.
45 too tight, 46 too loose, 45.5 on order to try out.

The buckle doesn't have the loosen function that the
Sidi buckle has, looks like you could fit a Sidi buckle
to the shoe.

Likes2ridefar
09-06-2011, 09:37 AM
I've been having a look at Giro shoes...specifically the Code and Gauge.

Anyone have any direct experience? No place to try them on locally (strange)...wondering how they fit...???

I wear a 45 in Specialized...wondering if I need a 45.5 in these...

11US in street shoes.

Any insight beyond sizing appreciated as well.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

I use the giro prolight SLX road shoe. it's my favorite shoe. i wear 45.5 in the giro and am closer to an 11.5US street shoe so I think their sizing chart is accurate. if it helps, i wear 46 in sidi.

buldogge
09-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Any idea what you wear in Specialized?

How are they holding up??

TA
-Mark

I use the giro prolight SLX road shoe. it's my favorite shoe. i wear 45.5 in the giro and am closer to an 11.5US street shoe so I think their sizing chart is accurate. if it helps, i wear 46 in sidi.

Likes2ridefar
09-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I think I wore a 45 in the s-works model, but I can't be certain.

They are holding up OK. I've crashed twice in them so can't really judge what is normal wear and tear. I cracked the sole on the very edge near where the cleat is in the first crash, but it's not gotten worse since it happened which was only a few days after I got the shoes in April. I've raced and ridden many miles in them this year.

They are very comfortable, and the material molds to the shape of your foot.

A minor annoyance, if it could even be called that, is both toes developed a little dimple on the top of the shoe slightly beyond where my big toe lies - so very near the end/edge of the shoe. Occasionally I feel it but almost always I do not. I'm not sure what caused them, and I've read a few others have experienced the same issue.

Hank Scorpio
09-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I tried on the prolight at retailer in ny and I found the fit to be vey low volume. I have the specialized pro carbon that fits much better in the same size.

ultraman6970
09-06-2011, 01:21 PM
specialized pro are excellent shoes.

Likes2ridefar
09-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I tried on the prolight at retailer in ny and I found the fit to be vey low volume. I have the specialized pro carbon that fits much better in the same size.

Compared to Sidi ergo 2 the giro's have more volume, compared to your pro's, totally agree.

ty-ro
09-09-2011, 09:55 PM
I am thinking of a set of the slx or factor. I heard someone say that the slx uppers are so supple that they flex when you pull up on the pedals. For you guys that own the slx, is this the case? They sure look comfy and light! I like the 3 velcro straps rather than a buckle.

Likes2ridefar
09-10-2011, 06:23 AM
i have no complaints about support with the slx.

floxy1
09-10-2011, 06:39 AM

I dont think I'll own anything but S-Works shoes. I've never gotten a hot spot once, even after 9 hours on the MTB...

ty-ro
09-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I kind of doubted the support thing. The only thing I dislike about the Specialized shoes is the internal cant/tilt. It does not agree with my knee. Otherwise they are amazing shoes. If the angle works for you, you'll probably never need another brand of shoe. They have plenty of options too.

Likes2ridefar
09-10-2011, 12:21 PM
my opinion is the slx is very similar to the sworks both fit and feel without the cant.

the slx holes are drilled further back than any shoe ive used besides bont.