PDA

View Full Version : WTB cross bike with S&S Couplers

dperez@shutts.c
09-05-2011, 04:33 PM
So, I gave up on the Ritchey Break Away cross frame because it doesn't meet the domestic flight bag size limit of 62 inches.

Anybody want to sell a size 54 cross bike that has S and S couplers?

branflakes
09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
are you sure the cross breakaway won't fit in an s&s hard case? the 10" deep hard case meets airline standards and will fit a road breakaway up to a 58cm. you're looking for a 54cm cross frame, so i imagine a 54cm (or even 56cm) cross will fit the s&s case.

i have a 56cm ritchey breakaway road and the wife has a 54cm surly travelers check. we use the s&s case for her bike, but i have tested packing the ritchey in the s&s case and had no issues.

on a side note, in the few times we've traveled with the bikes so far none of the airlines have been too concerned with our bag sizes (either the ritchey bag or s&s case). that is in stark contrast to the time i traveled with the big hard case and apparently raised all kinds of red flags. i think the perception that our bike cases were no larger than some traditional suitcases really helped our case. it kept questions from being asked. and as an fyi - my understanding is that some airlines can be retentive and snarky about the fees for traveling with bikes. it has been noted that a simple response of "bike parts" to the question of "what's in the suitcase?" might prevent the interpretation of traveling with an actual bike (which has the potential to incur a fee regardless of size).

dperez@shutts.c
09-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks.

I didn't realize you could use the smaller S&S case for the Rithey. Thanks

That's a good tip.

Ti_on_Steel
09-05-2011, 08:39 PM
I spent a long time looking for a travelers check with no success. I even called up Surly and chatted with them about it. They said they made more 56cm frames than any other size, but that they still only really made very few. They suggested that for about the same price I could buy a used Cross Check and have Bilenky put couplings into it.

They do make the Long Haul Trucker as a S and S bike, but only in the 26 inch wheel. Fine for touring, but I wouldn't imagine it would be fun as a cross bike.

branflakes
09-05-2011, 09:12 PM
for the money i'm not sure you can do much better than a ritchey cross breakaway. the travelers check is okay, but not on par with the ritchey IMO. a lht is exactly that, a long wheeled trucker, low and slow. if $$$ is no object, find a ti disc (with canti studs as well) frameset and have it chopped. dean, if and seven all offer some great options if you've got the dough.

rugbysecondrow
09-05-2011, 09:27 PM
I love my travelers check, dont give up!

branflakes
09-05-2011, 11:01 PM
I love my travelers check, dont give up!
i should have known you'd chime in as well! :)

rugbysecondrow
09-06-2011, 06:40 AM
i should have known you'd chime in as well! :)

note my positive and upbeat tone. :-)

Stan Lee
09-06-2011, 07:49 AM
I agree- don't give up on the travelers check. I teach overseas and purchased a 60 cm a few years back. I've traveled all over with a 10" S&S case without issue/charge. I prefer the S&S couplings over compression couplings and I prefer Surly's geometry although it is a bit heavier. Here is an older photo...I've made some changes.

Stan Lee
09-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Here is a good deal on a 56 w/ case

http://rmn.craigslist.org/bik/2558352844.html

BayRider
09-07-2011, 08:44 PM
No relation to the seller, but this is about as sweet a travelling cross bike as one is likely to find: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/2586237751.html

yngpunk
09-12-2011, 02:02 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/56-Surly-Travelers-Check-S-S-Couplers-Travel-Bike-Cross-Check-headset-hangers-/140605445922?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item20bcbcd722

No relation to seller...came up on one of my saved searches and remembered someone was looking for one.

Ti_on_Steel
09-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Oh man, That eBay one is nice! Just not sure it's the right time for me to build another bike....but...

JAWN
10-04-2011, 10:20 PM
ha, that was my frameset on eBay. It just arrived in MA today for the new owner. I loved it but it was a tad big for me. I'm trying to find another S&S frameset now. I may end up chopping my Kelly Knobby X though as I'm not seeing anything out there.