PDA

View Full Version : BBRight compatibility question

oldfatslow
09-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Is Rotor 3D crankset taken off a Cervelo with BBRight compatible with a BB30 bottom backet?

I know the axle sizes are the same but I'm not clear on whether the bottom bracket width difference affects the fit. Is the spindle longer?

fatallightning
09-05-2011, 05:32 PM
rotor says yes. it's slightly confusing. you would need a spacer on the nds i would imagine.

oldpotatoe
09-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Is Rotor 3D crankset taken off a Cervelo with BBRight compatible with a BB30 bottom backet?

I know the axle sizes are the same but I'm not clear on whether the bottom bracket width difference affects the fit. Is the spindle longer?

Yep, just did this 'exercise'. Need a spacer for the extra 11mm needed for a normal frame even if it is BB30..call Rotor, they are in Colorado Springs.

oldpotatoe
09-06-2011, 07:50 AM
rotor says yes. it's slightly confusing. you would need a spacer on the nds i would imagine.

'slightly', well....... As above, took a Rotor crank off a Cervelo, put it into a BMC..PITA all around, this design, IMHO. At least Campagnolo makes BBRight cups for Cervelo, so the gent could use a Campagnolo crank on this thing.

fatallightning
09-06-2011, 09:01 AM
'slightly', well....... As above, took a Rotor crank off a Cervelo, put it into a BMC..PITA all around, this design, IMHO. At least Campagnolo makes BBRight cups for Cervelo, so the gent could use a Campagnolo crank on this thing.
yeah, the self extracting bolt, preload adjustment, etc, all very counter intuitive.

Kontact
09-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Rotors will work with anything thing from 90mm wide external cups, 79mm BBright on down to 68mm wide BB30. You just ad spacers where appropriate. The new FSA 386 cranks work on the same principle, as did the Vumaquads and SRAM S500(?) cranks.

Dedicated BB30 or BBright cranks won't go wider than 68 or 79mm, though.