PDA

View Full Version : Shack/Leopard merger confirmed

firerescuefin
09-05-2011, 02:43 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leopard-trek-confirms-merger-with-radioshack

I really like what Leopard put together (riders/culture)....and am not a fan of the Bruyneel legacy and all that comes with it. Sad to see this happen :confused:

....They'll certainly be formidable and maybe what AS needs to take the next step forward.

rice rocket
09-05-2011, 02:48 PM
How will this help Andy Schleck? He had everything handed to him on a silver platter this year and still couldn't pull it off...

firerescuefin
09-05-2011, 02:51 PM
How will this help Andy Schleck? He had everything handed to him on a silver platter this year and still couldn't pull it off...

Nygaard isn't Bruyneel....either as a DS calling the shots on the road or someone preparing to win a Grand Tour. That BS Andy pulled in the Pyrenees would not have happened under JB's watch. Andy better be ready to buckle down.

rice rocket
09-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Ah.

Maybe he'll make him change his attitude too about only focusing on what his strengths are.

bluesea
09-05-2011, 03:04 PM
It's justice that Bjarne Riis' two ex-lieutenants, who basically shafted both Riis and Saxo Bank, get shafted by shaftmaster Bruyneel.

Uncle Jam's Army
09-05-2011, 03:04 PM
What is disappointing is the demise of two U.S.-based teams this year, HTC and Radio Shack. I guess we're down to Garmin.

It would also be a mistake to not find a spot for Jens Voigt on that team.

firerescuefin
09-05-2011, 03:07 PM
It's justice that Bjarne Riis' two ex-lieutenants, who basically shafted both Riis and Saxo Bank, get shafted by shaftmaster Bruyneel.

You say shafted Riis...did you ever think that Riis alienated the majority of that team....to the point where everybody left him high and dry. That's the word on the street. I wouldn't be so quick to label Riis a victim.

witcombusa
09-05-2011, 03:21 PM

Next season....white lunch bags for EVERYONE :banana:

sjbraun
09-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Look at the list of RS riders who will be joining the new team: Chris Horner, Andreas Klöden, Matthew Busche, Jani Brajkovic and Nelson Oliveira.

No mention of Levi. I'd read rumors he was headed elsewhere in 2012, but I don't recall where. Another rider to the emerging BMC powerhouse?

GregL
09-05-2011, 03:44 PM
No mention of Levi. I'd read rumors he was headed elsewhere in 2012, but I don't recall where. Another rider to the emerging BMC powerhouse?
Levi saw the handwriting on the wall and bolted for Omega Pharma/Quick-Step. I'm guessing this gives him a better chance to be a GC leader as he plans his not-too-distant retirement.

-Greg

echappist
09-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Look at the list of RS riders who will be joining the new team: Chris Horner, Andreas Klöden, Matthew Busche, Jani Brajkovic and Nelson Oliveira.

Quickstep-Omega Pharma, or whatever the new team is called. As a quick side note, this team actually existed before as Quickstep-Davitamon. When the teams split, Davitamon (a subsidiary of Omega Pharma) merged with Lotto.

echappist
09-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Levi saw the handwriting on the wall and bolted for Omega Pharma/Quick-Step. I'm guessing this gives him a better chance to be a GC leader as he plans his not-too-distant retirement.

-Greg
Not with VDB2 and Vanedert in the wings...

jlwdm
09-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't see Bruyneel shafting anyone. The team owner is a successful business owner who wants results. He did not get the results he wanted so he is making a change.

I see a lot of riders on the downhill slide on RS and don't think this will be any super team. The thing LA had was 100% commitment to win the tour from every rider on the team and some climbers that could set up his final attack on the mountains.

People talk about Jens, but all he did was tow along the other good climbers - he did not finish them off. The Schlecks have been missing an important climbing component. Supporting both Schlecks means two leaders and not one leader and one super domestique also.

Levi is also a poor support rider as he lacks acceleration. Great steady rider.

Jeff

Elefantino
09-05-2011, 03:51 PM
What is disappointing is the demise of two U.S.-based teams this year, HTC and Radio Shack. I guess we're down to Garmin.

It would also be a mistake to not find a spot for Jens Voigt on that team.
No, we're down to BMC and Garmin.

BMC is based in Santa Rosa, Calif.

Dave B
09-05-2011, 03:57 PM
I will be excited to see JB deal with riders who can perform all year long like FC. I know he knows how to win the big tour and has shown us, but make sure he also has the riders who want to win big classics in mind as well.

I know I am supposed to be impressed, but I just feel dirty reading this stuff.

firerescuefin
09-05-2011, 04:02 PM
I will be excited to see JB deal with riders who can perform all year long like FC. I know he knows how to win the big tour and has shown us, but make sure he also has the riders who want to win big classics in mind as well.

I know I am supposed to be impressed, but I just feel dirty reading this stuff.

Ding Ding Ding. That's why I am bummed.....Don't forget Levi testified regarding Lance. Don't cross Big Tex and expect to keep riding for "his" team.

ultraman6970
09-05-2011, 04:05 PM
+1 with mr president.

I don't know why i feel that this will be a really bad team.

Dave B
09-05-2011, 04:22 PM
+1 with mr president.

I don't know why i feel that this will be a really bad team.

Yeah I feel that as well. I liked watching Cadel win. He seemed human, regardless of how much agony he was in, he appeared to struggle.

I won't say that the new Trek team won't struggle, but I just am ready to root for different guys. Makes me nervous with huge teams not finding funding or these super teams getting to big for their britches. It doesn't matter in grand scheme of things, but with JB thinking for the Schlecks I kind of don't look forward to the Tour as I was.

I bet Contador is pissed though!

Uncle Jam's Army
09-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Somehow I don't see this sitting well with Cancellara; no O'Grady, no Voigt, and a bunch of riders better suited to grand tours than to Flanders or Roubaix. It seems like a good time to jump to another team built to support a Classics rider like him. Team Sky?

Dave B
09-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Somehow I don't see this sitting well with Cancellara; no O'Grady, no Voigt, and a bunch of riders better suited to grand tours than to Flanders or Roubaix. It seems like a good time to jump to another team built to support a Classics rider like him. Team Sky?

I initially thought that, but remembered JB always supported Hincapie in the classics and then got him in the program for the tour. I see JB giving him huge support for the classics with the stipulation in mind that FC turns himself out for the tour. Well that is what makes sense. JB is smart enough to know what he has to do and what he has done to get the most out of riders. Whatever "program" be it mental, chemical, or a combo of the two he will get the most out of his riders. Hell look at Levi.

I don't know. There will be some new guys coming year after year to root for. I don't see the loyalty or even fear that Lance commanded. I still want to see Cadel and Gilbert run the show.

steampunk
09-05-2011, 05:40 PM
this is a lose-lose for some staff and riders on both sides of the fence.

What would you say you do here? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SoWNMNKNeM)
http://blog.cloudant.com/images/the-bobs.jpg

rice rocket
09-05-2011, 06:40 PM
He's already confirmed according to the press release.

http://leopardtrek.createsend3.com/t/ViewEmail/r/9336888E0462C091/419D4CA59AEE007DF039C523302FD418

Climb01742
09-05-2011, 06:49 PM
i wonder how much of this was driven by trek. specialized has AC and got a bunch of press with cav and highroad. BMC got a bump with cadel. i wonder if trek nudged the two teams together so they could try to get back to the top of the mass-market frame food-chain.

allenwhy
09-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Wait why did I miss about htc? They aren't a team anymore?

And will this team be considered American a little bit? Like half American? Or like they have a green card or something?

ultraman6970
09-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Well the leopard guys say that they absorbed radioshack, from all the other stuff it really looks like is the other way around, well now the schrecks have to ride a leaf instead of a 300 series now? :D

Dont see FC happy no more, he looks like a really sad man since before the giro, in the tdf was worse.

As for contador, well if the guy is not suspended and if he gets to the TDF next year just like he did in the Giro no matter if god trains the schreks, contador should win them by far in the mountains, he is worried because he doesnt have a descent team but he has to ride smart ala evans when he was in lotto, besides that it shouldnt matter that much.

Oh well lets what happens for the wc now.

6mt
09-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Well the leopard guys say that they absorbed radioshack, from all the other stuff it really looks like is the other way around, that's how i saw it. Radio Shack maintained most of the riders, and kept all of the sponsors. if anything they did a favor for Leopard-Trek.

rice rocket
09-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Interesting that Radio Shack would stay on as a sponsor. Do they have Radio Shacks in Europe?

geopedler
09-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Can anyone provide a link to where Levi has CONFIRMED his move to the belgian Omega-Quickstep team. There have been many rumors and he indeed was not listed today's press releases but I don't think his move is official just yet. Unless I missed something. Thanks!

FlashUNC
09-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Forget the whole super team nonsense. Anyone else a little concerned that it appears the sport is being reduced to just four large teams or so?

When the winningest team around can't find a major sponsor, and teams are merging just to stay afloat, I worry about the future of the sport.

And I don't think anyone could watch Hicapie's Roubaix attempts against Mapei and Domo and come away with the impression Bruyneel set him up with a team to win. The guy barely got any help.

6mt
09-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Interesting that Radio Shack would stay on as a sponsor. Do they have Radio Shacks in Europe? they have some in the UK.

steampunk
09-06-2011, 06:44 AM
that's how i saw it. Radio Shack maintained most of the riders, and kept all of the sponsors. if anything they did a favor for Leopard-Trek.

agree, but more like a hostile takeover to me.

M-Benz is a Leopard-Trek sponsor. so will they be gone? will team cars now be Nissans?

ultraman6970
09-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Benz was (i assume) leopard sponsor and now rs and nissan are kept as a main sponsors, I see cancellara driving a mexican sentra or a versa :D

Benz doesnt need sponsor anybody, and since the team did pretty bad and cant remember seen any patch in their jersey saying Benz I assume too that benz is out of the deal together with other ones.

Sincerelly cant understand it, the leopard jersey is almost 100% plain, at least put something here and there that can be seen at least for you sponsors, italian teams jerseys looks like clown pants but at least u can see the names on them.

Nooch
09-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Benz was (i assume) leopard sponsor and now rs and nissan are kept as a main sponsors, I see cancellara driving a mexican sentra or a versa :D

Benz doesnt need sponsor anybody, and since the team did pretty bad and cant remember seen any patch in their jersey saying Benz I assume too that benz is out of the deal together with other ones.

Sincerelly cant understand it, the leopard jersey is almost 100% plain, at least put something here and there that can be seen at least for you sponsors, italian teams jerseys looks like clown pants but at least u can see the names on them.

There's a MB Logo on the chest, but yeah, it's small. The point of the jersey, I believe, is to show off the title sponsorship -- Lay-OH-pard had no real "title" sponsor, so everything was kind of subdued except the team name.

Speaking of Jersey's, though, I'm interested to see if radioshack-nissan-trek will take some styling cues from Leopard-Trek.

Vaughters and T.Phinney had an interesting back and forth on twitter about the merger, Vaughter's believing that it's necessary and a step in the right direction for the sport, but a lot of talk about budgetary constraints and the fact that, as mentioned previously, teams are sponsor based, and they can't just be teams..

What would happen if cycling took on a format more like the other sports? Here's a team, supported by the fans, etc.. I suppose the only way that would work is on the track, paying for admission, though.

retrofit
09-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Noooooooooo :crap:

My head is spinning in a fit of cognitive dissonance.

Hostile takeover about sums it up.

Leopard True Business Is Business.

bikser
09-06-2011, 10:57 AM
I think Horner's chance of the designated grand tour leader just went down significantly.

CunegoFan
09-06-2011, 11:19 AM
that's how i saw it. Radio Shack maintained most of the riders, and kept all of the sponsors. if anything they did a favor for Leopard-Trek.
RS retained only a few riders. Leopard retains 2/3rds of its riders. RS did not really sign anyone for the 2012 season, so they were preparing for something.

RS is shutting down. A handful of RS's riders are going to Leopard. RS's sponsors are going to Leopard. Bruyneel and perhaps a few of his staff will run Leopard as employees of Becca, who holds the World Tour license.

firerescuefin
09-06-2011, 11:34 AM
RS retained only a few riders. Leopard retains 2/3rds of its riders. RS did not really sign anyone for the 2012 season, so they were preparing for something.

RS is shutting down. A handful of RS's riders are going to Leopard. RS's sponsors are going to Leopard. Bruyneel and perhaps a few of his staff will run Leopard as employees of Becca, who holds the World Tour license.

Funny the mis-information in this thread. Cunegofan nailed it. The only thing that makes me take a step back is how will the riders react/ride in the new culture on this team....as many of them (on the Leopard side) started this based on establishing a team in their own image.

Dave B
09-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Funny the mis-information in this thread. Cunegofan nailed it. The only thing that makes me take a step back is how will the riders react/ride in the new culture on this team....as many of them (on the Leopard side) started this based on establishing a team in their own image.

Great question, but their image didn't accomplish as much as they had thought they would I bet.

Regardless of opinions, JB wins. He won with Lance, w/o him in all the grand tours. I think if the riders really want to win, then they sign up for his program. Dirty or not he will help those guys win...most likely with a little bit of extra something.

Frandy do not seem to have the mindset as do some others on how to ride efficeintly or use real cleverness. JB can help with that in spades.

I am still hoping for Voekler to keep on keeping on. :beer: Screw LeopardRadio.

6mt
09-06-2011, 07:45 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/becca-confirms-nygaards-departure-from-leopard-trek

this is from today. for some reason Flavio Becca's tone does not sit well with me.

ultraman6970
09-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Next time I go to Luxemburg I'll go with a canadian flag patch in my back pack :D

retrogrouchy
09-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Forget the whole super team nonsense. Anyone else a little concerned that it appears the sport is being reduced to just four large teams or so?

When the winningest team around can't find a major sponsor, and teams are merging just to stay afloat, I worry about the future of the sport.
And I don't think anyone could watch Hicapie's Roubaix attempts against Mapei and Domo and come away with the impression Bruyneel set him up with a team to win. The guy barely got any help.

Just one word, Benjamin: doping. :crap:

steampunk
09-07-2011, 06:13 PM
M-B is pissed

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/9696/Mercedes-not-impressed-by-Radioshack-Nissan-Trek-merger-with-Leopard-Trek.aspx

bluesea
09-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Ya gotta love Becca's (wam, bam) thank you m'am to Mercedes-Benz Luxembourg. He's a real piece of work, with the machinations, retarded scarfs and all.

ultraman6970
09-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Looks like it.

M-B is pissed

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/9696/Mercedes-not-impressed-by-Radioshack-Nissan-Trek-merger-with-Leopard-Trek.aspx

William
09-08-2011, 03:27 PM
The real question for Andy will be....

Paper or plastic? :p

William