PDA

View Full Version : Cycling shoes in the washing machine

CPP
09-04-2011, 05:01 AM
I know a guy that says he cleans his cycling shoes in the washing machine. I was sure he was yanking my chain. Has anyone done this? Tips?

Peter P.
09-04-2011, 05:44 AM
It's not a good thing.

It's not recommended for running/athletic shoes because the detergent can do upredictable things to the adhesives holding the various materials together. I would imagine the same holds true for cycling shoes.

It's common to throw an old athletic shoe in the dryer with a down jacket or anything that needs "fluffing up" as the tumbling shoe facilitates the process.

CPP
09-04-2011, 05:54 AM
It's not a good thing.

It's not recommended for running/athletic shoes because the detergent can do upredictable things to the adhesives holding the various materials together. I would imagine the same holds true for cycling shoes.

It's common to throw an old athletic shoe in the dryer with a down jacket or anything that needs "fluffing up" as the tumbling shoe facilitates the process.

Yes and with a full carbon sole :rolleyes:

AngryScientist
09-04-2011, 06:38 AM
do not throw your cycling shoes in the washing machine, that's crazy. the insoles i've done with good results, but not the whole shoe!

Andrewlcox
09-04-2011, 09:25 AM
I have washed many pairs of my running shoes in a front load washer with mild detergent. I always throw them in with a load of jeans or towels I use to dry the dog. They come out looking like new. I tried it with a top load and they float to the top and don't get "scrubbed" like they do in a front loader.

Andy

fogrider
09-05-2011, 12:28 AM
I think it depends on what your shoe is made out of. if its nylon with you might be ok. but I wouldn't do it with leather and or carbon sole...I would just scrub it in a bucket of soapy water and repeat depending on what color the water turns.

CPP
09-05-2011, 12:44 AM
I think it depends on what your shoe is made out of. if its nylon with you might be ok. but I wouldn't do it with leather and or carbon sole...I would just scrub it in a bucket of soapy water and repeat depending on what color the water turns.

That's how I've been doing it.
The guy I know swears on his mother's eyes that he washes his carbon soled cycling shoes in the washing machine!
I'll have to try out the process.......on my wife's shoes!

BumbleBeeDave
09-05-2011, 06:45 AM
. . . costs today I would not try it. It could end up being a $3oo-400 mistake!

BBD

Birddog
09-05-2011, 12:38 PM
This is an interesting and quite possibly a good idea if you asked me. At the very least, I'm pretty sure that any modern cycling shoe will stand up to the rigors of a "gentle" wash cycle. These shoes are designed to take a beating on the road from the elements, so why not in a machine. I really doubt that any common detergent will break down the adhesives used in bonding the soles to the synthetic leather upper. The only downside that I could see would be possible problems with the ratchet system, but again, they get soaked out on the road from time to time, so how could that be a problem?
Has anyone ever tried this and had negative results? that is the question to be answered.

Many years ago, I read in an online forum that cleaning your helmet in a dishwasher was good idea. Sounded good to me so I tried it. I strapped the helmet into the bottom rack top side up and let her rip (make sure you have "heated drying" option OFF). When the cycle finished I opened up the dishwasher and it was clean and shiny. The only downside was all these little black specks all over the inside of the dishwasher. The wife had some questions about this too (I played dumb of course). It seems that I had removed all the pads except for a couple small ones that did in fact disintegrate and stick here and there in the DW. It looked like course pepper. Fortunately, I had some replacements and the specks disappeared on the next cycle..

Kevan
09-05-2011, 12:56 PM
I use only the spin cycle.

TomNY
10-27-2013, 06:50 PM
I wash my shoes a couple of times or more per season. I make bucket of soapy water using shampoo. I remove inner soles, then submerge shoe speedplay cleats and all. Using a soft brush or an old towel I wash everything inside and out. Rinse off w hose, squeeze water out of padded area, hang on line. Stuff w newspaper or paper towels if the shoes are not drying fast enough for you. Lube cleats, go ride w your new looking shoes.

lemondvictoire
10-27-2013, 06:57 PM
After the washing machine... be sure to put them in the dryer & enjoy the noise..........:p

dgauthier
10-28-2013, 12:53 AM
I own Sidi's, so I checked: Sidi recommends against washing their cycling shoes in the washing machine in their FAQ's (http://www.sidiamerica.com/sidi/faq.html).

DO SIDI SHOES REQUIRE MAINTENANCE?

DON’TS
• Do not wash in washing machine or spray clean.
• Do not use strong washing powder or abrasive brushes.
• When drying, never place near or next to heaters, fire or other heating elements (the use of detergents and rapid drying may cause excessive hardening or cracks in the materials).

Do any manufacturer's recommend doing so?

sales guy
10-28-2013, 04:42 AM
I know a guy that says he cleans his cycling shoes in the washing machine. I was sure he was yanking my chain. Has anyone done this? Tips?

Ok, I'm going to jump in here. I work for a cycling shoe manufacturer.

DO NOT DO IT!!!

First, I've seen the aftermath of it about a dozen times.
Second, you will be very pissed when the company refuses to warranty the shoes cause they fall apart too quickly.
Third, your wife will be pissed because either A) you broke the washer or B) you killed her shoes and have to buy a new pair.

I'm not kidding about working for a shoe company. Or the seeing it and not warranting it thing. Use a 5 gallon bucket with dawn dish soap. Not a lot though. A sponge and warm water. That's all you need.

Most cycling shoe(like 99%) are made with a Lorica or microfiber material. It is a water repellent, abrasion resistant doesn't stretch and pretty darn durable. But stitching and glue isn't. Which is why you don't want to use the washer or dryer.

I've taken mine after riding in the rain and even just rinsed them off in the washtub. They will dry overnight with some newspaper and they come out white and looking fine.

Peter P.
10-28-2013, 05:17 AM
Besides cycling shoes, DO NOT throw your helmet into the washing machine to cure it of that nasty smell.

Don't ask me how I know this...

MattTuck
10-28-2013, 06:18 AM
If it is an issue of smell (as opposed to dirt), you can try putting them in the freezer for a day or two. Allegedly this will kill the bacteria that are causing the smell.

I've had mixed results with this one a pair of flip flops that were really past their prime. If it was a regular part of the maintenance cycle (every few weeks), I bet it would help keep the shoes odor free.

Also, spray a little Lysol into the shoes after each ride, bowling alley style.

FlashUNC
10-28-2013, 06:35 AM
http://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg

Lewis Moon
10-28-2013, 06:53 AM
To quote David Bromberg: A man should never gamble more than he can stand to lose.