PDA

View Full Version : Campy cassette spacers question

martinrjensen
09-03-2011, 11:10 AM
I just put a new (13-29) cassette on a new bike build and I'm having some ghost shifting issues. I took the cassette off and measured the spacers. Most of the spacers are .0935 thickness. a couple are .94 (which I think is close enough not to matter) but the large one separating the 26-29 gears from the rest is .118 in thickness. this is pretty much where my shifting issues ar.
I would have thought that all the spacers should be the same thickness? Easy enough to sand it down but I would like to get some opinions before I do anything.
Note: cross posted on the RBR forum)
Thanks for any replies

Hindmost
09-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Go to campagnolo.com, find the parts catalogue, and find your casette. You should see a cool table of spacer sizes. Many casettes have 3 sizes of spacer. Transposed spacers could be your problem.

martinrjensen
09-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Yes, I just noticed that the spacers (the large ones) are marked with theit thickness. That may be my problem. I also switched my calipers over to the metric system so the spacers do correspond to the marked thickness. ThanksGo to campagnolo.com, find the parts catalogue, and find your casette. You should see a cool table of spacer sizes. Many casettes have 3 sizes of spacer. Transposed spacers could be your problem.

weiwentg
09-03-2011, 11:21 AM
I assume you have a Centaur 10s 13-29. the width of the spacers varies, and on mine, the width in mm was stamped on the spacers. which was annoying, because they're all shaped the same. Anyway, page 59 of the following link:

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/2010_OEM_MANUAL_UK-07-09.pdf

thread drift, but my ghost shifting problem was not because I had the spacers in the wrong order. it turned out that when I took my ergolever apart to install new G springs and clean out the dirty grease, I was getting all kinds of headaches trying to get the shifting right, because I was getting only 9 clicks. then I took it apart again and noticed I'd put the indexing ratchet in backwards.. :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap:

martinrjensen
09-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks, my spacing as messed up and the Campy parts page showed the correct spacing. I'm still getting a little rough shifting but I think I'm ready for a little test ride to seat things in. Yes I have a Centaur 13-29 Ultra Drive cassette. I'm running a short cage derailleur and the Centaur Grey derailleurs with chorus shifters. all that should be fine I think
thanksI assume you have a Centaur 10s 13-29. the width of the spacers varies, and on mine, the width in mm was stamped on the spacers. which was annoying, because they're all shaped the same. Anyway, page 59 of the following link:

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/2010_OEM_MANUAL_UK-07-09.pdf

thread drift, but my ghost shifting problem was not because I had the spacers in the wrong order. it turned out that when I took my ergolever apart to install new G springs and clean out the dirty grease, I was getting all kinds of headaches trying to get the shifting right, because I was getting only 9 clicks. then I took it apart again and noticed I'd put the indexing ratchet in backwards.. :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap:

Ralph
09-03-2011, 12:53 PM
If you are using the 13-29 with all loose cogs, there are 3 different spacers.

The thinnest one (1.6 MM) goes between the 26 and 29. The thick one (2.55 MM ) goes between the 17 and 19. You can figure out the rest.

Mike748
09-03-2011, 05:09 PM
I thought that 13-29 with a short derailleur was iffy?

oldpotatoe
09-03-2011, 05:50 PM

NOPE, not iffy at all. Done it many times, compact and standard crank.

If the chain is the right length, not droopy in small/small, enough chain for big/big-easy.

weiwentg
09-03-2011, 10:33 PM

may depend on your frame, but people have done it and it's not iffy. I'll report back when my drivetrain has a few thousand miles, but it seems to be working on mine.

Dave
09-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Often overlooked is the fact that bikes with the perfect chainstay length can gain up to 3T of wrap capacity over one with the worst case length. A 13-29 with a short cage RD won't work the same on all frames.

Using the rigorous chain length formula on the Park Tool website, the perfect chainstay length is one that suggests a chain length as close as possible to a whole number. If the length required is very much over a whole number, like 53.25 inches, you'll need a 54 inch chain and may have the chain hanging loose in several of the smallest cogs when on the little ring. Shortening the chain by 1 inch will leave it too short to wrap the big/big.

martinrjensen
09-05-2011, 11:28 AM
My chainstay is about as short as you could get. I have maybe a 1/4 in clearance between the seat tube and tire. After my test ride yesterday, my short cage derailleur does not seem to be presenting any issues. I can actually shift through the whole range of gears if I want. Still working through the rough shifting issues though, but I think the problem now might be sticky shift levers and I have flushed them with some WD 40 and getting ready for another tast ride.Often overlooked is the fact that bikes with the perfect chainstay length can gain up to 3T of wrap capacity over one with the worst case length. A 13-29 with a short cage RD won't work the same on all frames.

Using the rigorous chain length formula on the Park Tool website, the perfect chainstay length is one that suggests a chain length as close as possible to a whole number. If the length required is very much over a whole number, like 53.25 inches, you'll need a 54 inch chain and may have the chain hanging loose in several of the smallest cogs when on the little ring. Shortening the chain by 1 inch will leave it too short to wrap the big/big.

oliver1850
09-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Sounds like you might have excess cable friction somewhere to me, especially if the problem is when you shift to a higher gear (smaller cog).

martinrjensen
09-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Didn't think of that. I will look into it. ThanksSounds like you might have excess cable friction somewhere to me, especially if the problem is when you shift to a higher gear (smaller cog).