PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Leather Grips?

nighthawk
09-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Anyone have any experience with these? Do they weather well? How's the feel?

http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/bags/Other%20Brooks%20Products/Plump%20Leather%20Grips/

thanks!

crupshaw
09-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't have those, but I do have the perforated tape on my commuter, and it is fantastic. It feels great, to the point that I do not wear gloves with it, and it looks awesome. Hopefully that helps somehow.

nighthawk
09-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Yes and No. I've used brooks saddles and bar tape in the past. The saddles I like more than other saddles, but not my favorite. The tape is great.. but I need grips for a straight bar, and I prefer the feel of leather. With this particular design (of the brooks grips).. I'm not sure if it'll feel too rigid (possibly unevenly rigid, at that), or how they will weather since moisture could theoretically get down between the leather 'discs'. I don't feel like dropping the 80 bills to test it out.. so was hoping for a review from someone.

I'll probably just give em a shot.. there aren't many alternatives out there.. since I don't like cork or rubber.. and the wooden grips, though I like the idea.. all look really stupid.

I don't have those, but I do have the perforated tape on my commuter, and it is fantastic. It feels great, to the point that I do not wear gloves with it, and it looks awesome. Hopefully that helps somehow.

cat6
09-05-2011, 11:56 AM
What kind of bike? MTB? Beach cruiser?

nighthawk
09-05-2011, 12:09 PM
It's my commuting bike. It's a geared road bike, but with a riser bar, and mtb levers... I have oury grips on there now.. but they feel gross.

What kind of bike? MTB? Beach cruiser?

cat6
09-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Got it. I know you said you don't like cork, but for price and longevity I think that's a good route. I've considered the same Brooks grips on a commuter in the past and couldn't justify the price. Some other options would be using standard cork in just the hand positions, wrapping cloth over some old inner tubes in the hand position. You could try all three, cork, cork tape and cloth tape for 1/2 the cost of the Brooks! Good luck!