PDA

View Full Version : Brooke saddle bag? For Cross????

rustychain
09-02-2011, 06:42 PM
This is kind of strange I suppose but I'm considering a Brooke's saddlebag for my cross bike when going on training rides. My bike is set up with tubulars. I often go on long rides on mountain bike trails and would prefer to have an extra tire just in case. Most modern designs will not fit a cross tire. Im using a Brooke sparrow saddle. My questions are has anyone tried to do this and what size fits. Also does it interfere when peddling in any way. Other suggestions are welcome. If any diehard crossers see this....uhh, it's to store beer :beer:

bicycletricycle
09-02-2011, 06:59 PM
an old toe clip strap can hold a tubular to your seat rails with ease. fold the other stuff you want to bring up in a piece of canvas an jam it in there to and your ready to go. makes you look like some kind of old school badass and it works really well. its how i roll.

Steve in SLO
09-02-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm with BiTri here.
You wouldn't want to garf up a nice Brooks bag, and frankly it would look a bit...erm...genteel for the CX bike.
You might want to try one of these. It's big and narrow. Its what I use on my MTB:
http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FTBII

buldogge
09-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Acorn tubular bag: http://www.acornbags.com/tubularbag.html

-Mark in St. Louis

Mr. Squirrel
09-02-2011, 09:54 PM

-Mark in St. Louis

those are delicious!

mr. squirrel

froze
09-02-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm kind of a realist. I can't understand buying an expensive leather/canvas bag that are not very water resistant and can be easily damaged. Don't get me wrong, they look great and have that classy old world look to them, but their just not very realistic for use in the real world.

I do have two bikes with Brooks saddles, but a saddle is different then a bag. I like the one posters idea of the Jandd bag, it's a common sense type of bag that will last a long time and is rugged and water resistant.

Also if you go on long rides into remote areas I would carry two tubulars not just one, and carry your patching kit in the highly unlikely event you have 3 flats on a ride. Yeah it may take 45 minutes or so to repair a tubular, but it beats walking.

Frankwurst
09-02-2011, 10:29 PM
This is kind of strange I suppose but I'm considering a Brooke's saddlebag for my cross bike when going on training rides. My bike is set up with tubulars. I often go on long rides on mountain bike trails and would prefer to have an extra tire just in case. Most modern designs will not fit a cross tire. Im using a Brooke sparrow saddle. My questions are has anyone tried to do this and what size fits. Also does it interfere when peddling in any way. Other suggestions are welcome. If any diehard crossers see this....uhh, it's to store beer :beer:

Maybe not cool for the crossing scene but it'll fit two tubs and various other things. Hell it's a training ride not a fashion show. :beer:
http://www.frostriver.com/bike_bags/echo_trail.html

A1CKot
09-02-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm kind of a realist. I can't understand buying an expensive leather/canvas bag that are not very water resistant and can be easily damaged. Don't get me wrong, they look great and have that classy old world look to them, but their just not very realistic for use in the real world.

I do have two bikes with Brooks saddles, but a saddle is different then a bag. I like the one posters idea of the Jandd bag, it's a common sense type of bag that will last a long time and is rugged and water resistant.

Also if you go on long rides into remote areas I would carry two tubulars not just one, and carry your patching kit in the highly unlikely event you have 3 flats on a ride. Yeah it may take 45 minutes or so to repair a tubular, but it beats walking.

Not to call you out or anything but specs from the respective sites...

Jandd
Specifications:
Volume: 84 ci/ 1.4 ltr
Dimensions: 10 x 4 x 1.75 (in) 25 x 10 x 4 (cm)
Weight: 3.2 oz/ 90 g
Material: Dupont Cordura®
Price: $19.95

Acorn
Dimensions: 4.5" diameter at opening (tapering down to 3") x 10" long (11 x 25 cm)
Capacity: approx. 1.5 L
Weight: 7 oz (198 g)
$50.00

The Acron has a little bigger capacity and $30 bucks seem like nothing on a multi thousand dollar bike. Serious question, why would a canvas and leather bag be damage easier than say a leather saddle or bar tape?

Steve in SLO
09-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Serious question, why would a canvas and leather bag be damage easier than say a leather saddle or bar tape?
Having ridden many a muddy trail at speed, the bag takes much more mud and water splatter than either a saddle or bars. It makes sense that the bag be waterproof and protective, especially when trying to keep tubies dry.

rustychain
09-02-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm sure some of you already think I'm nuts but I'm not at all worried about the Brookes functional durability. Sure I'll trash it cosmetically in a few short rides but have not saddles (horse saddles) survived rain and mud? Does water proof matter for holding a tire? I just wasnt to keep the preglued tire clean. A plastic bag maybe will solve this issue? I do like the option of two tubes for long rides but I'm not sure if the tool roll type would do that or if I'd need to go to the square bag. Weight will be a fair amount but as I said this is for training and exploring. FYI the bike is a steel I.F. Planet X and is happy to sports a brand new pair of Dugast tires :)

froze
09-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Not to call you out or anything but specs from the respective sites...

Jandd
Specifications:
Volume: 84 ci/ 1.4 ltr
Dimensions: 10 x 4 x 1.75 (in) 25 x 10 x 4 (cm)
Weight: 3.2 oz/ 90 g
Material: Dupont Cordura®
Price: $19.95

Acorn
Dimensions: 4.5" diameter at opening (tapering down to 3") x 10" long (11 x 25 cm)
Capacity: approx. 1.5 L
Weight: 7 oz (198 g)
$50.00

T

Not to call you out, but by your own given specs, your willing to pay $30 more for a bag that weighs 108 grams more? The Acorn is a bigger bag but you can buy bigger cordura bags too. But what is bigger in your specs? a 10th of a liter? (or just 1/4th of a cup)

Cordura is tougher then leather bags. Leather bags exposed to rain will be ruined in short order. So will leather seats, but those you can get a rain proof saddle cover. And on that Acorn the first thing that will crack will be the straps.

froze
09-03-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm sure some of you already think I'm nuts but I'm not at all worried about the Brookes functional durability. Sure I'll trash it cosmetically in a few short rides but have not saddles (horse saddles) survived rain and mud? Does water proof matter for holding a tire? I just wasnt to keep the preglued tire clean. A plastic bag maybe will solve this issue? I do like the option of two tubes for long rides but I'm not sure if the tool roll type would do that or if I'd need to go to the square bag. Weight will be a fair amount but as I said this is for training and exploring. FYI the bike is a steel I.F. Planet X and is happy to sports a brand new pair of Dugast tires :)

Horse saddles are a heck of lot thicker then bicycle seats!

And no water proofing doesn't matter for holding a tire, but if the bag is not water proof like the leather bag which will then cycle getting wet then dry and will crack in short order especially the straps.

The Cordura bag by Jandd is very well made using thick Cordura fabric and will hold for 20 years or more. The Jandd bag is made for 2 Tubs, it states it on their site, so you know that will work. And like I said in an earlier post, you should have 2 tubs and you should carry a Tub repair kit. just in case you have more then 2 flats. Velox makes the only one I know of and if comes with patches, glue, sand paper, sachet hand soap, chalk (to mark holes) thread, needle, and a thimble.

rustychain
09-03-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm referring to cross tubes, most probably 32's.
Good point on the patch kit, thanks
Got to say my Handlebra bar tape has survived very well despite abuse

dhoff
09-03-2011, 12:35 AM

-Mark in St. Louis

SOLD OUT, man that's cold, gettin us all excited about something we can't have. Or perhaps, so many people saw them because of your post, and that sold them out.

buldogge
09-03-2011, 12:46 AM
They make them in small batches...sign up for the email blast and they let you know the evening before they go on sale (9am PST the next morning)...

-Mark

SOLD OUT, man that's cold, gettin us all excited about something we can't have. Or perhaps, so many people saw them because of your post, and that sold them out.

Louis
09-03-2011, 12:59 AM
The Jandd's are nice. Good quality.

The had a big sale a while back and I ordered three of them. Was bummed when a buddy decided he wanted one, so I'm down to two. The black one will probably go on the Kirk. The orange one will probably go on my MBC single-speed.

Aaron O
09-03-2011, 07:08 AM
I was also seriously underwhelmed with the quality of the Brooks bags. Cool looking or not, I found them to be crap.

rustychain
09-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Well that's good to know. Bad stitching or poor quality leather?

yakstone
09-03-2011, 07:57 AM
I also use the Jandd bag and find it well made. I would like to see someone get two tubies in there. One is no problem, but two?

jr59
09-03-2011, 07:58 AM
http://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/saddlebags/berthoud-sew-tire-bag

nighthawk
09-03-2011, 08:04 AM

-Mark in St. Louis

sweet bag.. thanks for the heads up.

bicycletricycle
09-03-2011, 08:06 AM
why would you be worried about keeping your spare tubular tire and repair stuff dry. ?

djg
09-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Horse saddles are a heck of lot thicker then bicycle seats!

And no water proofing doesn't matter for holding a tire, but if the bag is not water proof like the leather bag which will then cycle getting wet then dry and will crack in short order especially the straps.

The Cordura bag by Jandd is very well made using thick Cordura fabric and will hold for 20 years or more. The Jandd bag is made for 2 Tubs, it states it on their site, so you know that will work. And like I said in an earlier post, you should have 2 tubs and you should carry a Tub repair kit. just in case you have more then 2 flats. Velox makes the only one I know of and if comes with patches, glue, sand paper, sachet hand soap, chalk (to mark holes) thread, needle, and a thimble.

The Jandd bag is nice -- I'm thinking one cross tub will fit, but so will a can of pit stop and a patch kit if you want it.

froze
09-03-2011, 08:27 AM
I was also seriously underwhelmed with the quality of the Brooks bags. Cool looking or not, I found them to be crap.

This is what I've heard from a friend who does a lot of touring, and sometimes he has more money then brains. He bought a very nice looking leather/canvas Berthoud handlebar bag (the one with the map case on the top flap) for his Rivendell because he could take that bag off and carry into stores with a shoulder strap, but within 3 years the straps cracked...not the shoulder strap, those tie down straps.

froze
09-03-2011, 08:30 AM
why would you be worried about keeping your spare tubular tire and repair stuff dry. ?

Did you read the follow up post? What I meant by waterproof was the material, meaning the seat bag itself, would not be damaged by water. Obviously as a side benefit anything stored inside would also not be wet.

froze
09-03-2011, 08:42 AM
The Jandd bag is nice -- I'm thinking one cross tub will fit, but so will a can of pit stop and a patch kit if you want it.

I don't know how far off road your going, like for days or just for the day? But you could buy a handlebar bag to store a second tub if the Jandd won't handle two X tires, and then you could store a jacket and or some fast grab energy bars. You could even a get handlebar bag with a clear plastic map pocket on top, which is nice to have so you can see a map of where your going. I use maps when I tour not a GPS. They make small to large bags whichever suits your needs the best, with and without the map case.

Here is an assortment of handlebar bags if your interested: http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=handlebar+bags&FORM=HURE

By the way, I have a cheap $9 expandable wedge seat bag made of lighter cordura and the bag is 15 years old and has seen rain...I still use it today and it looks and works fine.

rustychain
09-03-2011, 08:55 AM
I good point but I just have never favored handlebar bags unless they are on a full tilt touring bike. Not rational I know.
On my road bike I just put my tubular in a sock and strap it to the seat but on the Brookes saddle the rails are so wide that it just moves all over. Some interesting options from everyone. Thanks and keep them coming.
I suppose a Camelback would work very well but as a life long old school roadie it makes me shudder ;)

Aaron O
09-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Well that's good to know. Bad stitching or poor quality leather?

Both. It looked low quality, it felt low quality and the straps felt like they'd fall off sooner rather than later.

Steve in SLO
09-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Rusty,
If you just want to use a sock, why don't you figure-8 a toeclip strap or a mini bungee around the rails? That's suspend the sock between the rails and lock it in position?

froze
09-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Both. It looked low quality, it felt low quality and the straps felt like they'd fall off sooner rather than later.

My friends Bert's. looked very well made when it was brand new, and the stitching held up, so did the canvas though a bit faded after 3 years, it was the darn leather straps that cracked and eventually broke. I think bags like that are for the snooty who want that champaign look, out for a little jaunt in the countryside with a fine wine in the handlebar bag, but in the real world of touring it just doesn't make sense. I've ran into a lot of touring people over the years and never found anyone using that stuff.