PDA

View Full Version : Vehicles/SUV's

Spinz
09-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Anyone have first hand experience with a Suburu Forester or a Suzuki Grand Vitara? Lp

jlyon
09-02-2011, 01:44 PM
No but the Forester is on my short list for my next car. Everyone I have talked to who has owned Subarus have great things to say, and it looks big enough to hold my 61cm bike and small enough to drive park just about anywhere.

The only drawback I see is the gas mileage is not great for a small 4 banger, but the new impreza is due out next month with a smaller engine for those who want better mileage.

fourflys
09-02-2011, 02:09 PM
No but the Forester is on my short list for my next car. Everyone I have talked to who has owned Subarus have great things to say, and it looks big enough to hold my 61cm bike and small enough to drive park just about anywhere.

The only drawback I see is the gas mileage is not great for a small 4 banger, but the new impreza is due out next month with a smaller engine for those who want better mileage.

agree, had an Outback and it was a great car... something else to think about is a late model Toyota Highlander... I just picked up an '04 last Spring and it is really nice... I can easily put my 54cm in the bike with just half the seat folded forward (leaves enough space for me, wife and 1 kid)... I got the 4cyl and it's not bad for an SUV (about 20 in the city and 25 hwy)...

**edit- on the Subaru, check out which engine (depends on year)... I know my Outback was a '99 and those engines could be hit or miss from what I remember... I didn't have any issues with mine though...

quattro
09-02-2011, 02:27 PM
I test drove a 2010 CPO Subaru Outback 30k miles with the V6 yesterday afternoon, not bad. Only problem for me is I'm coming off of a '06 BMW 530Xi, difficult to find anything in this class of vehicle that compares. I need this vehicle for work and will need to have it wrapped with company logo, so a BMW, Volvo, Audi, etc. is out of the question. What other small SUV's and or crossovers do people like, My main wants in a vehicle are V6, AWD, bluetooth for phone, leather seats, sunroof, fun to drive.

jlyon
09-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I test drove a 2010 CPO Subaru Outback 30k miles with the V6 yesterday afternoon, not bad. Only problem for me is I'm coming off of a '06 BMW 530Xi, difficult to find anything in this class of vehicle that compares. I need this vehicle for work and will need to have it wrapped with company logo, so a BMW, Volvo, Audi, etc. is out of the question. What other small SUV's and or crossovers do people like, My main wants in a vehicle are V6, AWD, bluetooth for phone, leather seats, sunroof, fun to drive.

In the world of SUVs that is a tough one but look at an Infiniti FX35. Not much interior room and odd styling (I like the older Models better than current) but man those things corner better than many true sport sedans.

bart998
09-02-2011, 03:37 PM

My wife is in the market right now. We've looked at a bunch. She started wanting a Subaru or a Rav4, but changed when she saw the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (different than an Outlander) and Kia Sportage. Guess we're going back this weekend.

gearguywb
09-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Drove a new ('11) Outback last night. Have to say I was pretty impressed with the size and versatility.

fourflys
09-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Drove a new ('11) Outback last night. Have to say I was pretty impressed with the size and versatility.

they got a lot more SUVish the last couple years... I liked the older more wagonish ones better...

to the point of something with a V6 that's fun to drive like the BMW or Infiniti mentioned... the only thing I'll say from looking at them is take a look at MPG's... yikes!

not sure how they drive, but the new Kia Sportage looks really nice... kind of like a more affordable Infinity...

victoryfactory
09-02-2011, 05:23 PM
I have 60K miles on my 09 Forester. great car.
Much more room than the pre 2009 version.
surprisingly capable off road good ground clearance.
Superb visibility. very comfortable on long trips.
Giant sunroof.
Stereo is sub par. Dealer maintenance costs MUCH less
than my Volvo.
Turbo is fast. most people probably don't need that option.
Swallows my bike whole with the seats down.
Design is pleasant without being gaudy.
Milage is 21-22 over all and 24-25 highway with the turbo.
probably around 18-19 city only.
I've driven the outback a few times. It feels heavy and
sluggish by comparison to me. But it is longer and I think
you can get a six cyl. Forester is four cyl.
A great small SUV
VF

bozman
09-02-2011, 08:21 PM
I had a 2000 Forester for a while. It belonged to my parents initially (they bought it new), then my brother had it at college for a few years and then I bought it from them. It had 140000 miles on it when I sold it last year. With snow tires it would go through almost anything. Like all Subies the only time it spent in the shop was for routine maintenance.

If you can live with something a little less suv then wait for the 2012 Impreza. Subaru has updated it and improved the MPG vastly. The manual is rated for 33 and the auto is rated for 36.

avalonracing
09-02-2011, 09:54 PM
My wife has a 2003 Forester which we bought new. It has 115K it has been maintained, and she is easy driver (yes, I have put a few miles on it and I'm not so gentle). That said, I haven't been to impressed with the car over the last year. It seems like everything is starting to say "Eff it!" The power side-view mirror quit, the giant sunroof quit, the heated driver's seat stopped heating, the CD changer stopped working (in addition to a few under the hood issues like the spark plug wires starting to arc). Hey, I know this is standard for a two month old GM car but I'm used to Hondas and those never let me down.

She still loves the car but I'm a bit bummed on the brand right now.

1happygirl
09-03-2011, 01:17 AM
RAV 4. Great gas mileage. Towing capability.
Rock on :beer:

victoryfactory
09-03-2011, 05:13 AM
RAV 4. Great gas mileage. Towing capability.
Rock on :beer:

Yep. On paper the Rav was the better car but I just
couldn't see myself driving it. So I went with the
Forester with it's better off road cred

Forester:
rocky roads to primitive campsites. Trip to trader Joe in
the snow to get some tofu. Left leaning Sierra club
save the trees LL bean wearing ex hippy car.

Rav4:
suburban college girl texting while driving trendy
style wagon.

Am I a slave to my own pathetic image of myself?
Undoubtedly.

note:
Please remember that the 2009+ Forester is a much
different car than the pre 09 version which I considered
years ago but decided against as it was just a bit too small for
my stuff when I go camping.

gearguywb
09-03-2011, 05:41 AM
they got a lot more SUVish the last couple years... I liked the older more wagonish ones better...

I am on the opposite side. I liked it a lot more than the last version as it is a bit larger. The purpose for me would be work trips (3 days a week), combined with the ability to put the dog (GSD), wife, and a couple of bikes on it and get MUCH better mileage than my lifted 100 series Land Cruiser. (of course EVERYTHING gets better mileage than the LC)

thinpin
09-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I have 60K miles on my 09 Forester. great car.
Much more room than the pre 2009 version.
surprisingly capable off road good ground clearance.
Superb visibility. very comfortable on long trips.
Giant sunroof.
Stereo is sub par. Dealer maintenance costs MUCH less
than my Volvo.
Turbo is fast. most people probably don't need that option.
Swallows my bike whole with the seats down.
Design is pleasant without being gaudy.
Milage is 21-22 over all and 24-25 highway with the turbo.
probably around 18-19 city only.
I've driven the outback a few times. It feels heavy and
sluggish by comparison to me. But it is longer and I think
you can get a six cyl. Forester is four cyl.
A great small SUV
VF
Pretty much sums it up.
But, and there is always a but, handling is worse than previous model. They have changed the chassis. Centre of gravity is higher.
Bodywork is lighter (thinner), not as tough as their original 4x4. If a car has off road capability then that needs to extend to the body IMHO, otherwise its just a toy.
Bigger inside than previous models for sure but weaker "clipped in" plastic panels make it feel nasty.
They took the cup holders out. :crap: :crap: :crap:
I have owned mid-ranged versions of every model since it came out. This current version is the worst. But still not a bad car given the high bar the early models set. There is no way I'd take the current car where I took my first one.

thinpin
09-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Please remember that the 2009+ Forester is a much
different car than the pre 09 version which I considered
years ago but decided against as it was just a bit too small for
my stuff when I go camping.
Hey you're supposed to get away from it all when camping, not bring it all ;)