PDA

View Full Version : Slotting spoke holes

Look585
09-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Do any shops still perform this lost art? I want to build a 28hole track wheel with bladed spokes. I can get a Phil slotted at the factory, but it costs *way* more than the Dura Ace, and I'll be using a DA on the rear...

beer_meister
09-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Do any shops still perform this lost art? I want to build a 28hole track wheel with bladed spokes. I can get a Phil slotted at the factory, but it costs *way* more than the Dura Ace, and I'll be using a DA on the rear...

Not a good idea. I know it's Kewl, and "old school" and all that, but it really causes a significant stress riser, and with time will cause cracks to form on your hubs at the edges of the slots. If yah want bladed spokes, go with one of the modern wheels that were designed to accommodate them. Trust me, slotting round spoke holes is a "bad idea".

bike22
09-01-2011, 08:23 PM
i've done it myself with tiny jewelers' files.

bicycletricycle
09-01-2011, 09:14 PM
hoshi spokes work well and allow you to have big blades with normal size spoke holes

oldpotatoe
09-02-2011, 07:58 AM

I do, PITA but I do it. I have a little guide tool, pin goes into spoke hole, little hole above for wee drill bit. Say adios to the warranty. I would recommend just using oval spokes, like DT aerolight or Sapim cx-rays..no need to slot.

R2D2
09-02-2011, 08:12 AM
I do, PITA but I do it. I have a little guide tool, pin goes into spoke hole, little hole above for wee drill bit. Say adios to the warranty. I would recommend just using oval spokes, like DT aerolight or Sapim cx-rays..no need to slot.
+1.
The modern oval spokes are very good and there's little difference (if any).

Chance
09-02-2011, 08:26 AM
If oval spokes are round enough to go through round hole in hub, how much "aero" benefit can they provide compared to round spokes? And how do they compare aero wise with bladed spokes? Any data available?

ultraman6970
09-02-2011, 09:13 AM
U can use bladed sapim spokes, you dont need to file anything with those ones.

Mark McM
09-03-2011, 06:42 AM
+1.
The modern oval spokes are very good and there's little difference (if any).

... except that bladed spokes are twice as stiff (because hey have twice the cross-sectional area). Mechanically, bladed spokes are as stiff as 2.0mm straight gauge spokes, whereas ovalized spokes are only as stiff as 1.5mm DT Revolution or Sapim X-Ray spokes. So you can use fewer bladed spokes for the same wheel stiffness as ovalized spokes.

oldpotatoe
09-03-2011, 07:55 AM
If oval spokes are round enough to go through round hole in hub, how much "aero" benefit can they provide compared to round spokes? And how do they compare aero wise with bladed spokes? Any data available?

The differences is minor, teeny, tiny, not worth slotting a hub for. Or just round 18 radial for a TT front wheel.

bicycletricycle
09-03-2011, 08:01 AM
my wheels built with traditional full size blades feel considerably stiffer than those built with the modern "aero" type.