PDA

View Full Version : cycling Donoratico, Italy?

eddief
09-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I know some of our forum mates have enjoyed, is it Riccioni in Tuscany?

Anyone done routes around Donoratico? I know there are cycling-oriented hotels there too...and my bike club is organizing a fixed base vaca centered in Donoratico.

flydhest
09-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Years ago, along with Pete, was at a Carpenter/Phinney cycling camp in Tuscany and the first several days were based in Donaratico. Most excellent riding. We stayed at the 'Zi Martino hotel. Perfectly lovely rooms and the food was very good, as well. Mind you, this was (what, Pete?) 10 years ago. Rides through to Bolgheri and wine country plus everything else you could want.

dan_hudson
09-01-2011, 07:45 PM
That is the area Andy Hampsten runs some of his tours out of. Aka good riding! There is a vid somewhere out there on the interwebs of Andy doing the descent toward his "office", a coffee shop a few towns over. Really fabulous road, one not to miss during your stay. I'm sure "HappyCampyer" will chime in and I'd guess his memory of specific loops is better than mine.

Enjoy!

dan_hudson
09-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Dug out the trip diary from our visit to that part of Tuscany.

The aforementioned "ride to the office" is Castegneto Carducci to Sassetta to Suvereto. Not to be missed! Good coffee shop in the Suvereto town square too.

Nice riding right there east of Donoratico. Good loops heading toward Bibbona and Bolgheri. Had some of the best gelato ever from a cart in Bolgheri. Paolo Bettini is/was a local and you'll see his face on road signs! Definitely take time to visit a winery and/or olive grove/mill here.

For longer rides, we did a fun out&back to Volterra. And a great loop east of Monteverdi where there is geothermal activity captured for power generation, nice ride thru amazing scenery.

I claim no credit for discovery any of this myself! Was all this was part of one of the tours offered thru Mr Hampsten's touring company.

Again, have a great time. I ride MTB as much or more than road. Some of the roads in Tuscany are as close as I've come to the feeling of carving singletrack while on skinny tires. Good stuff!