PDA

View Full Version : Sprinting

2LeftCleats
09-01-2011, 04:11 PM
As I was suffering up a hill in today's heat, my mind wandered and a thought occurred to me: Is there any way that sprinters can be compared other than by race results? In a race, a sprinter's success is not only the result of his prowess, but the team around him, the competition, terrain, weather, luck, etc. I've never heard of this sort of comparison, but is there anything that can be used as a yardstick to compare sprinters? ITTs are a way of leveling the field for one type of rider. The 40-yard dash is used as a tool in comparing football players. The 100 meter dash is a way of measuring the "World's fastest man" and so on. Other than track races, is there or has there been some sort of standardized way that a sprinter can measure himself against others?

Thanks. Now I'll head to the fridge to remedy my hop deficiency.

false_Aest
09-01-2011, 04:17 PM
I suppose one could compare max w/kg between riders.

Tony Prioli
09-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Here is my thoughts on this question:
The classic sprint as it has been told to me since the 1980's was 300 meters. A real sprinter can go all out for 300 meters. That said, there is alot of instinct and tactics that must also accompany that burst of speed. The strongest sprinter does not always win because of all of the factors like leadout, wind, weather, road surface, and the Camera Angle. I am just throwing out some basic stuff and I am sure there is many of opinions on this.
In the US criteriums, I always like to go for an early prime lap to "audit" the finish by feeling where the wind is, and guaging my efforts ahead of time.

For a test, I say measure the 300 meter jump from a rolling startand don't look back ever!
Tony

christian
09-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Sure. What would be hard about this. Flying 100m, 200m, 300m would do it. As to why this isn't done, well I think it would be a bit boring. And the salt is he'll on drivetrains.

learlove
09-01-2011, 07:10 PM
is there or has there been some sort of standardized way that a sprinter can measure himself against others?

Thanks. Now I'll head to the fridge to remedy my hop deficiency.

number of wins.

too many variables than just top speed or power output come into play when sprinting - whether it is just a cat 4 crit sprint or stage 21 in Paris.