PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Merino Wool

Nooch
09-01-2011, 09:44 AM
So I have a great Earth, Wind, and Rider merino hooded jersey that I wear day to day as a sweater -- probably the most comfortable article of clothing I own.

Anyhow, a decent sized hole has started on the left elbow and I'm trying to figure out what to do. When I've had wool suits that have needed repair I've been told that I needed to find somewhere the does weaving, probably looking at the same thing, right?

Otherwise, I suppose I can go with leather patches on the elbows (or is it tweed?)

gdw
09-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Do a google search on "darning wool sweater". It's an easy repair and will be hard to spot if the hole is small.

AngryScientist
09-01-2011, 09:56 AM
So I have a great Earth, Wind, and Rider merino hooded jersey that I wear day to day as a sweater -- probably the most comfortable article of clothing I own.

Anyhow, a decent sized hole has started on the left elbow and I'm trying to figure out what to do. When I've had wool suits that have needed repair I've been told that I needed to find somewhere the does weaving, probably looking at the same thing, right?

Otherwise, I suppose I can go with leather patches on the elbows (or is it tweed?)

suede patches brother, like the professor:

http://polo.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPOLO2-5026673_alternate1_v330.jpg

Nooch
09-01-2011, 10:07 AM
suede patches brother, like the professor:

http://polo.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPOLO2-5026673_alternate1_v330.jpg

I actually had a friend who had the same issue with cotton hoodies here (I guess the desks are especially abrasive) and his wife's grandmother sewed on patches.. Quite amusing, actually.

tiretrax
09-01-2011, 02:13 PM
I've seen them on heavy knit sweaters (LL Bean is one place), but don't know if they'll hold up on a lightweight merino. Have you contacted EW&R to find out if they'll repair it or what they recommend? It's worth a try.

pdmtong
09-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Call the USA office of Rapha in Portland and ask them who they send their repairs to. That place is really really good. Rapha no longer repairs their merino pieces but a long time ago they did and I was the beneficiary of that service. impeccable work. If the EWR piece is something you like, spend the money and get it fixed by the pro's