PDA

View Full Version : D2R2 RIDERS, Help out Green River Reconstruction

witcombusa
08-31-2011, 07:50 PM
See below from Sandy regarding the damage caused to the Green River Road and crib dam park area.

-------------------------------------------------

I set a "speed record" for Green River Road today, taking two hours to cover the five miles from the lunch site to the next bit of pavement. All those pretty stretches of road along the water look like the rugged Maine seacoast, nothing but the biggest boulders and stones. We will post pictures in the coming days. The locals are already taking matters into their own hands, using their tractors to push fill into place. Entire families are on the river bed tossing stones up by hand to rebuild the roadbed!

The good news is that the Colrain Covered Bridge is intact, and the Green River Covered Bridge at the lunch stop still stands. Incredibly, (just imagine this picture) the water there came within two feet of the bridge deck, and the force of the water on the abutments made the whole bridge shake! But it held fast. Not bad for a stone and wooden structure built during the Civil War!

The park we use at lunch did not fare so well. It's under a foot of mud. The fences and retaining walls have been knocked down, the fish ladder is mucked up, and all the fill between the fish ladder and the side of the dam is gone. All told, it's about ten grand in damage.

I am thus appealing to riders to contribute to the reconstruction of the park. The neighborhood maintains everything with money out of their own pockets, and they just paid to have the dam area dredged last year. Even if you only send ten bucks, there were a thousand of you out there, I know we can do this!!

Please send donations to:

Green River Village Preservation Trust
Kim Hamilton, Treasurer
2014 Carpenter Hill Road
Guilford, VT 05301

Tell them you did the bike ride last weekend and you appreciate them sharing the neighborhood with us.

Thank you all in advance!

Sandy

-------------------------------------------------

Hey all -

A bunch of you asked if there was a way to donate to Green River via PayPal. I was not even thinking of that, since our hosts are retirees who have never heard of PayPal, and the internet service there will be down indefinitely.

However, thanks to the awesome folks at BikeReg, we have a solution! We have created an event, the "Green River Restoration Fund." Here is a direct link:

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?EventID=14255

Or just go to BikeReg and search for "Green River."

You just enter a donation amount, there are no categories. The event will be listed until Sunday the 11th, and then BikeReg will cut the check to Green River. AND, BikeReg is waiving their service fee on this one; all funds will go to Green River. Thank you so much, Steve et al. at BikeReg, you guys ROCK.

And, then, thank YOU all in advance for your support! The only 'flood' I have here at my house has been in my inbox, you guys are fantastic.

Sandy

witcombusa
09-01-2011, 11:24 AM
It didn't look like this last Saturday.....