PDA

View Full Version : Modern Campy Hub Options

modernfuturist
08-31-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm jumping on the wide rim bandwagon, and looking to lace up a set of 32h HED C2's.

I know Chris King Hubs will release a Campy spined option early next year, but I don't want to wait that long. White Industries and Alchemy Hubs are a bit rich for my blood, and current Campagnolo Record/Chorus hubs are just so hard to find at a reasonable price.

Anyone have any experience/reviews with other Campy splined hubs? I'm currently looking into Circus Monkey hubs or generic ones from BikeHubStore.com.

leooooo
08-31-2011, 02:27 PM
You may regret not waiting for those CK hubs...

ergott
08-31-2011, 02:30 PM
White Industries?

Building up a set right now. Great hubs.

bfd
08-31-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm jumping on the wide rim bandwagon, and looking to lace up a set of 32h HED C2's.

I know Chris King Hubs will release a Campy spined option early next year, but I don't want to wait that long. White Industries and Alchemy Hubs are a bit rich for my blood, and current Campagnolo Record/Chorus hubs are just so hard to find at a reasonable price.

Anyone have any experience/reviews with other Campy splined hubs? I'm currently looking into Circus Monkey hubs or generic ones from BikeHubStore.com.

Ambrosio Zenith - comes in either Campy or Shimano splined, silver or black, 28h or 32h (36h if you like the black hub) and appear to be the same hub as the Grand Bois rear hub sold by Jan H - which he raves about!

At $70, its a bargain too:

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/manufacturer/ambrosio/HB_ZENITH_S_R.html

Good Luck!

jr59
08-31-2011, 02:40 PM
DT 240's

goonster
08-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Are White Ind. hubs that much more $$$ than Chris King?

pavel
08-31-2011, 02:43 PM
chris king hubs have the most sublimely annoying sound of any hub i've ever heard.

BCS
08-31-2011, 02:49 PM
record hubs for $325

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Record-Hubs-9-10-11-Speed-32-Hole-Black-/330598046450?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf92ddaf2

(no relation to seller)

jr59
08-31-2011, 03:03 PM
new record hubs @ velomine for 295.

ergott
08-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Are White Ind. hubs that much more $$$ than Chris King?

Less expensive, not more.

-Eric

modernfuturist
08-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Guess I'll try to find the White Industries hubs on sale.

Looking at the 32h Gray Centaur Hubs that are available on Total Cycling as well...

buldogge
08-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Eric... Do you have any experience with any of the Taiwanese hubs? I've been eyeing up the Dati, Uni-Q, "superlights", etc...???

The Dati specs look decent on paper and can be had in 28/28H.
The Superlights can now be had with wider flange spec and 28H and just a few grams heavier.

All of these are 260-290g a set.

Thoughts???

Also, if you don't mind...Kinlin XR200, reasonable weight limit at 28H???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Less expensive, not more.

-Eric

Fishbike
08-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Miche hubs. I just had a set off Open Pros built with them. Haven't ridden them yet. Total cost for wheels was about $450.00

ultraman6970
08-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Miche was going to be my suggestion aswell, low cost and reliable, for less than 100 bucks u have a set and are pretty solid and well finished.

bfd
08-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Guess I'll try to find the White Industries hubs on sale.

Looking at the 32h Gray Centaur Hubs that are available on Total Cycling as well...

Those Centaur hubs are great as all of the innards - bearings, cones, cups are the same as Records. At $154 for the hubset, its an excellent deal:

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/hubs_road/HB_CENTAUR_07.html

The only question is whether you're OK with 36h hubs (stronger!) Good Luck!

ergott
08-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Eric... Do you have any experience with any of the Taiwanese hubs? I've been eyeing up the Dati, Uni-Q, "superlights", etc...???

The Dati specs look decent on paper and can be had in 28/28H.
The Superlights can now be had with wider flange spec and 28H and just a few grams heavier.

All of these are 260-290g a set.

Thoughts???

Also, if you don't mind...Kinlin XR200, reasonable weight limit at 28H???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

I haven't worked with any of those hubs. For the XR-200, I'd put the limit @ around 185 depending on hub, spoke, and spoke count. Even then, I'd consider using it for the front and something stiffer for the rear wheel.

buldogge
08-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanx Eric... The XR200 F XR270 R seems to be popular.

What do you think of these against the Velocity A23? Similar enough price point...XR200 lighter by 35g, XR270 heavier by 25g...???

TA
-Mark

I haven't worked with any of those hubs. For the XR-200, I'd put the limit @ around 185 depending on hub, spoke, and spoke count. Even then, I'd consider using it for the front and something stiffer for the rear wheel.

ergott
08-31-2011, 04:22 PM
I have less reservations recommending the A23 and XR-270 to all size riders so long as the rest of the specs are in order.

buldogge
08-31-2011, 04:39 PM
How do you feel about them in general?... I built up (2) sets of A23 to Campy Chorus hubs already...was leaning towards a lighter overall set, hence the hubs...

-Mark

I have less reservations recommending the A23 and XR-270 to all size riders so long as the rest of the specs are in order.

NRRider
08-31-2011, 05:07 PM
I just built up a set of 32h C2 Belgium rims with Record hubs and DT Swiss Comp spokes. Have not ridden them much but I like the way they roll and sound, fwiw.

In this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=92156) I asked about the Record hubs and they received great praise. Was going to do the $295 Velomine deal for the hubs until I found a set on this forum for $70 or so less. They also show up on Ebay on occasion for a cheaper price, but the Velomine price is good.

Bought the rims from Treefortbikes.com, with whom I've had nothing but positive experiences. As good a price as anywhere else (they currently are matching Cycleclubsports, which is who I had them price match). If you find them somewhere cheaper they will price match that too.

Was going to get the spokes from Cambria but they are always out of stock on one or more sizes, so ended up going with Wheelbuilder.com. Great service. They also sell the HED or Zipp strips that match the wider rims.

Good luck.

old_fat_and_slow
08-31-2011, 06:54 PM
These Hope hubs look nice. No experience with them though. Made in England

Priced between Record and Miche.

http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/hope-pro3-hubs-med.jpg

Available here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-pro3-mono-rear-hub/

oldpotatoe
09-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Define 'reasonable', Record hubsets are cheaper than DT, Alchemy. Record hubs are great hubs, use those.

alastair
09-01-2011, 10:21 AM
White Industries?

Building up a set right now. Great hubs.

That's what I went with on my Heds

jr59
09-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Define 'reasonable', Record hubsets are cheaper than DT, Alchemy. Record hubs are great hubs, use those.

Listen to Peter. He is very wise!!!

oliver1850
09-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Record hubs at Colorado Cyclist for $290

crossjunkee
09-01-2011, 04:31 PM
I just paid $270 for Record hubs on the Bay, this price also includes the nice Campy skewer. If you want the seller, send me a PM and I'll send his ID to you. He has an ebay store and offers great service.

I've also owned White Industry hubs. Great hubs, but couldn't use them when I switched to 11 speed. Make sure the hubs you buy are the newer 11 speed versions. Another knock (at least to me), they're kinda loud.

I also just had a set of Kings built my new 29er mountain set and they're pretty nice! They sound so good, and have excellent engagement. I'll probably have a set of those built once they're available.

Oh yeah, stay away from the Taiwanese hubs, life is too short.