PDA

View Full Version : jaxed.com now useless, thanks craigslist.

pavel
08-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Craigslist's lawyers have forced aggregator jaxed.com to shut down its craigslist search portion, effectively making it completely useless.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/show.cgi?idx=20110826202627

Any suggestions for a craigslist search thats still out there?

Nooch
08-31-2011, 02:03 PM
for the record, just go to google, type in "site:craigslist.org/bik[space][search term]" and it'll troll through all the craiglsist posts.. you don't have all the options you did in jaxed, but you can go through stuff fairly easily.

Hawker
08-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Craigslist's lawyers have forced aggregator jaxed.com to shut down its craigslist search portion, effectively making it completely useless.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/show.cgi?idx=20110826202627

Any suggestions for a craigslist search thats still out there?

Used to check it several times a day. A real shame and I can't understand why CL would have a problem with it??

Hawker
08-31-2011, 06:22 PM
for the record, just go to google, type in "site:craigslist.org/bik[space][search term]" and it'll troll through all the craiglsist posts.. you don't have all the options you did in jaxed, but you can go through stuff fairly easily.

Huh...could you be a bit clearer about how and what to type in?
Thanks.

ORMojo
08-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Say you want to search all of Craigslist for "Serotta"

Enter this in the Google search box (w/o quotes): "site:craigslist.org/bik serotta"

However, Google will return lots of old results, and they won't be sorted by date. So you can search Craigslist from the Google Advanced Seach page, and add the "past week" qualifier in the "Date: (how recent the page is)" field.

You can also accomplish the same thing by just doing the original search (without the date restriction) and then clicking on the "Show Search Tools" option on the left-hand side of the Google results page, and restrict the time there.

I have a really long search string saved that I use on Google from time to time, and then I restrict the date range to see recent results. Here is just a small extract of the full string: "site:craigslist.org/bik serotta OR kirk OR ellis OR pegoretti OR "independent fabrication" OR "carl strong" OR zanconato OR rawland"

Performing a search on the above extract currently returns about 246 results, but is winnowed down to a manageable 12 results if I restrict it to the past week, 1 result (not a useable one!) if I restrict it to the past 24 hours.

You can further weed out results you likely don't want to see by adding "negative" qualifiers to the string, such as "-bmx -tricycle -schwinn -bianchi -miyata" (not that I have anything against any of those). Adding those to the above search takes the results down to 8 over the past week.

Aaron O
08-31-2011, 08:38 PM
I'd wager the reason has something to do with Ebay's ownership stake in CL. If CL is national, people can more easily avoid Ebay/Paypal (and their fees and anti-seller Ts and Cs) as both sellers and buyers.

moose8
08-31-2011, 09:14 PM
http://www.google.ca/advanced_search

I have good luck using the above link and just restricting the domain to craigslist.org

zmudshark
08-31-2011, 10:02 PM
SearchTempest.com and crazedlist.org. Crazedlist only works with Firefox.

JDtwowheels
09-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Damn. The last two bikes Ive bought I first found on ebay. Then, contacted the seller on craigslist to complete the sale!

Ill bet ebay has a hand in this.

Hawker
09-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks ORMojo.

jet sanchez
09-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks.

I type in "site:craigslist.org serotta" and it searches every Craigslist for the word serotta. I would use the "/bik" extension if it were something less distinct, like "shimano" or "bicycle".

People often list bikes under the garage sales tab or sporting goods, etc. I found a Colnago Dream for $150 under garage sales a couple of months ago, for example.

And yes, eBay had everything to do with this, they have a 25% stake in Craigslist. Kijiji hasn't taken off in America like they had hoped so this is probably the best way to go about it, in their view.

cnighbor1
09-05-2011, 12:45 AM
If you do a search for craigslist search there are others search engines that do nearly the same
and on google craigslist+bikes+colnago will get you a decent list

jimsantos
09-05-2011, 02:15 AM
Google Reader has been my preferred "search system" as of late.

Just plug in any parameters into your normal CL search, then right click the "RSS" button on the bottom right and select "copy target URL".

"Subscribe" to that URL in Google Reader and you have every new listing that matches your criteria in a very simple, scrollable, digestible format. Only catch is that it won't display images that aren't embedded in the ad, so you'll have to actually open the links to see them, but otherwise it works quite nicely.

SteveFrench
09-05-2011, 06:55 PM
allofcraigs.com

CaliFly
12-29-2011, 01:27 PM
craiggers.com