PDA

View Full Version : Removing a Heads-Up extender

dawgie
08-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Is there a trick to removing a Serotta Heads-Up extender from a frame? I had one installed on a new frame that had a head tube shorter than expected. I later asked my mechanic to remove it, but he had difficulty getting it out, so I left in the head tube. Now I'm thinking about selling that particular frame and would like to remove the Heads-up prior to selling.

NateM
08-31-2011, 01:51 PM
one of these should do the job http://www.parktool.com/product/head-cup-remover-rt-1
Now getting the headset out of the heads up, thats a different story

dawgie
08-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks, I'll mention that to my mechanic -- altho it seems that he would already be aware of that tool. He said the bottom edge of the Heads-Up was tapered and so thin that it was hard to get a grip on it.

victoryfactory
08-31-2011, 02:16 PM
one of these should do the job http://www.parktool.com/product/head-cup-remover-rt-1
Now getting the headset out of the heads up, thats a different story

That will only work if the headset is on there tighter that the headtube extender is on the head tube.
In that case. both will come off together as you noted.
The mech is right, I don't think you can get that tool on the extender because it is
made to be the same size as the I.D. of the HT.
If just the headset pops off, you have no easy way to get the extender out.

VF

Chance
08-31-2011, 03:03 PM
That will only work if the headset is on there tighter that the headtube extender is on the head tube.
In that case. both will come off together as you noted.
The mech is right, I don't think you can get that tool on the extender because it is
made to be the same size as the I.D. of the HT.
If just the headset pops off, you have no easy way to get the extender out.VF
Since the extender must fit inside the headtube why doesn’t it create a shoulder just like a headset does that allows for removal? Looking at a picture of an extender makes it difficult to see why it won’t come off unless there is damage or it’s corroded on solid.

http://www.eighthinch.com/headtube_extenders.html

May be different brand but idea should be similar.

If the mechanic is first trying to remove the headset out of the extender then that’s a different problem.

Dekonick
08-31-2011, 03:31 PM
The heads up will come out with the headset. Now... removing the headset will be another matter...

bicycletricycle
08-31-2011, 03:32 PM
it creates a shoulder that any headset removal tool will sit against.

the heads up penetrates the head tube a little more than a normal headset and so sometimes is pressed into a non reamed part of the tube making it fit tighter and a little harder to get out.

the headset cup is very hard to get out of the heads up

Plum Hill
08-31-2011, 03:32 PM
I had issues removing a Heads-Up from a Cannondale 'cross frame.
The headset popped right off the Heads-Up, but the H-U was bottomed out in the headtube.

I resorted to using a screwdriver as a chisel, tapping the H-U where it met the headtube. I eventually got it out, but left some gouges in the titanium. These were smoothed out with a file. Not the prettiest, but I got it out.

Good luck.

Kontact
08-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Drill 2 holes in the side of the extender big enough to slip a screwdriver shaft into. Hit the screwdriver shafts alternately. Or put the shaft all the way through the holes and drop a pipe through the head tube and hit that.

It will destroy the extender but not hurt the frame at all.

Louis
08-31-2011, 08:08 PM
In my experience it's pretty easy to remove the HU extender from the head tube. The harder part is removing the headset cup from the HU extender once both have been separated from the headtube.

If you want to sell the frame with a headset the simplest thing is to just leave the old cup in the HU and buy a new upper cup for the frame.