PDA

View Full Version : Orange Colorado II, it was mine twice

avalonracing
08-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Easy come, easy go...
Back in 1997 a friend of mine on the Forum sold me his Colorado II. He bought it new but had since had it repainted by an auto body guy. I rode it a bit as is but the burgundy paint and black decals with gold outlines wasn't my thing so I decided to have it painted. After thinking long and hard about a color I drove a few hours up to Fresh Frames in PA. We talked more about an exact color of orange that I had in my mind's eye. They recommended a very slight metal-flake and I told them what decals I wanted from Serotta (white with black outline). Weeks later I picked the bike. It looked fantastic.

After happily riding it for a little bit I came across an almost new Record equipped Ti Legend for decent price. It was still expensive but about half of the $5500 list price (and we are talking 1998 bike dollars). I sold the Orange Colorado II to my friend Mark L.

After riding the Ti Legend a bit I started bike racing but I really didn't want to race a bike that nice in Cat5 races. Mark L. who owned the orange CII really loved the looked of my Ti Legend ("like a fighter jet" he said) so he sold the Orange CII to a guy named Mike and he bought my Ti Legend.

After racing for a few years and going through a few bikes I had the opportunity to buy back the Ti Legend as Mark L. just wasn't riding it. I thought about it for a bit but decided to stick with my trusty Klein as I was used to the stiff ride. But I did broker a deal so my friend Mark W. could buy the Ti Legend from Mark L.

Fast forward a few more years to the present and I decided I wanted a new winter beater bike and I tracked down my old Orange CII. I made an offer and Mike took it. The thing is when I got it home and stripped off the old 8-speed and cleaned up the frame it looked beautiful. Actually way too pretty to be a winter beater. That's when Mark W. (current owner of my Legend Ti) saw it. I said, "I want that frame" and convinced me that I wasn't going to use it as my winter beater because it was too nice. He was right. So, before I could ever take it out for a spin I sold it to Mark W. He's proud owner of two 57cm Serottas. This way, I know that the bike will be ridden and it "stays in the family".
He finished building it up today and here it is in all it's glory. It may be hard to tell but the close up shows how it sparkles in the sunlight. Enjoy.

christian
08-31-2011, 01:02 PM
I hope he doesn't flip it. (I keed, I keed!) But seriously, once I diagrammed all the characters, that was a nice story.

sc53
08-31-2011, 01:11 PM
So now you have NO Serottas? You need to find yourself another one to continue on your journey. :hello:

avalonracing
08-31-2011, 01:33 PM
I hope he doesn't flip it. (I keed, I keed!) But seriously, once I diagrammed all the characters, that was a nice story.

Colorado II- Bud to Robb to Mark L. to Mike R. back to Robb to Mark W.
Legend Ti- Keith to Robb to Mark L. almost back to Robb instead to Mark W.

firerescuefin
08-31-2011, 01:41 PM
You guys are like Serottal swingers ;) ....good friends...good bikes...good times!

dawgie
08-31-2011, 01:44 PM
That's a beautiful bike. Your friend is lucky.

wieland
08-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Anyone want to sell Robb a carbon Serotta?

wieland
08-31-2011, 04:09 PM
I am Mark W.

avalonracing
08-31-2011, 11:07 PM
Anyone want to sell Robb a carbon Serotta?

Well, Bud does have that Carbon/Ti HSG in our size. But you have to pay me for the orange bike first you deadbeat!

Don49
09-01-2011, 02:35 AM
That's my favorite color bike.

Must be nice to have all the same sized friends. :)

avalonracing
09-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Must be nice to have all the same sized friends. :)

Yeah, I met all of my friends on "class picture day" in the 5th grade. We were in the same row. I haven't made a friend since.

Aaron O
09-01-2011, 07:51 AM
You guys are like Serottal swingers ;) ....good friends...good bikes...good times!

:banana: The key parties have a hat filled with keys to Kryptonites.

I'm still a little shocked by wanting to use that as a winter beater! I have a Colorado 2 as well, a 92', and while it isn't my favorite bike in the stable, it's an AWFULLY nice rider for me and I love the frame details aesthetically. I'm also biased, but orange is the best color for bikes...

spamjoshua
09-01-2011, 06:35 PM
I have a soft spot for the colorado II and more so for Orange bikes.

I like it allot.

geopedler
09-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Pretty Bike!

the night owl
09-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Who's on first?

Smiley
09-01-2011, 09:17 PM
I am Mark W.

welcome to nut house Mark W :) I look forward to seeing and fitting u on this frame :banana:

zuzu27
09-01-2011, 09:27 PM
It's pretty sweet looking in orange, no doubt, but I'd love to see it with some shiny polished components instead of all that blacked-out stuff.
I'm just sayin'....

avalonracing
02-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Colorado II- Bud to Robb to Mark L. to Mike R. back to Robb to Mark W.
Legend Ti- Keith to Robb to Mark L. almost back to Robb instead to Mark W.

Colorado II- back to Robb as of this week.
(I'm working on getting the Legend back too).