PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen Recommendations?

NRRider
08-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Been a couple years since the last sunscreen thread.

The last thread had some recommendations for the Hincapie spray-on sunscreen, but it seems like all of the zinc or titanium spray-on sunscreens were taken off the market.

Also, I don't like the zinc/titanium stuff since it ends up making me look like a ghost after I sweat a little.

All of the non-zinc/non-titanium stuff seems to have cancer-causing chemicals.

The top rated sunscreens on this site http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/best-sunscreens/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/ seem to have zinc/titanium.

Are you using anything that doesn't end up making your skin all white that doesn't have any of the bad stuff?

Kane
08-31-2011, 10:38 AM
I am using sleeves and old fashion zinc (non clear, no nanos) on my nose.
Vit D overdose. :cool:

echappist
08-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Been a couple years since the last sunscreen thread.

The last thread had some recommendations for the Hincapie spray-on sunscreen, but it seems like all of the zinc or titanium spray-on sunscreens were taken off the market.

Also, I don't like the zinc/titanium stuff since it ends up making me look like a ghost after I sweat a little.

All of the non-zinc/non-titanium stuff seems to have cancer-causing chemicals.

The top rated sunscreens on this site http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/best-sunscreens/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/ seem to have zinc/titanium.

Are you using anything that doesn't end up making your skin all white that doesn't have any of the bad stuff?

Short answer, no. They are either physical blockers (TiO2 and ZnO) or chemical blockers. The latter falls into a category known as benzopheonone derivatives and are excellent at absorbing UV. Their chemical properties, however, make them susceptible to forming transient radical species as well as interfering with estrogenic receptors.

what part of your body do you want to protect?

For face, sunglasses & tech cycling cap work well
For arms, there are sun "coolers" with SPF50 protection (i use this).
For your trunk when you unzip your jersey, there are baselayers with SPF50 protection
For legs, there are similar stuff, though you might end up looking goofy and fredilicious

Ask yourself, what's worse? Melonoma or looking as if you are participating in a minstrel show? The latter is exactly what i look like with TiO2, but i'd rather look like that than get a sunburn. You are already wearing lycra, nothing can make you look goofier

Also, the dosage of UV-rays from the sun is highest from 10am-4pm, so if you can exercise before or after, you probably don't need any protection

MadRocketSci
08-31-2011, 10:42 AM
there are "transparent" forms of zinc oxide on the market that go by the name of z-cote and others. Basically, the particles have been micronized (nano-nized?) such that they are considered nanoparticles.

So that's great right? Well, apparently there are concerns that those tiny zinc oxide particles are absorbed much better into the body than non-transparent forms (which are larger particles and have that white color), and that nobody knows if there is an impact on human health. Kind of like, but perhaps not as bad, as the whole carbon nanotubes issue.

The only sunscreen maker I'm aware of that addressed this issue was Badger, which you could get at Whole Foods, that marketed a zinc oxide product of a particular particle size they claimed to not be absorbed by the body. However, since March 2011, they decided not to use any nano-sized zinc oxide products due to customer requests.

read more here: http://www.badgerbalm.com/t-sunscreen_zinc_oxide_nanoparticles.aspx

Anyway...your choices are the white sheen, chemical sunscreens and their supposed estrogen-like properties (among others), unknown effects from nano-zinc oxide, or sunburn/melanoma risk. I give my kid the Casper look with the natural Ti-oxide and Zn-oxide stuff, I use the Z-cote stuff.

NRRider
08-31-2011, 11:30 AM
what part of your body do you want to protect?

Mainly my face, neck, ears and arms. Should probably do my legs also, but for some reason they never seem to get burned.

1centaur
08-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Good quality white stuff - I use Obagi for face/neck - and live with the cost. Figure it out for the season and view it as a cost of the sport rather than grimacing each time as you apply less than you should.

Those sleeves look interesting.

tiretrax
08-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Also, the dosage of UV-rays from the sun is highest from 10am-4pm, so if you can exercise before or after, you probably don't need any protection

UV rays pose a problem anytime in the a.m. up to about an hour before sunset. I know from getting too much sun exposure thinking I could go out from 6-9 a.m. and not get sun, so I wouldn't have to slop on any sunscreen. On the third consecutive day, I had a good burn.

I use a zinc lotion at home and, while I am riding, I spray on Neutrogena's new sunscreen formulated for wet skin - so you can apply it when sweatty or just out of the water.

godfrey1112000
08-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Here what we wore at Hotter Than Hell last Saturday,

Nooch
08-31-2011, 01:39 PM
scapelabs sunblock has worked well for me the last two seasons..

edit: couldn't find any ingredients on their site, but found this review:

http://www.beautydebutante.com/2010/06/scape-athlete-sweat-proof-suncreens/

Ozz
08-31-2011, 01:41 PM
...Their chemical properties, however, make them susceptible to forming transient radical species as well as interfering with estrogenic receptors....
That sounds bad....but is it? And is it worse than not using sunscreen / melonoma?

Pyramor
08-31-2011, 02:17 PM
I am currently using No-Ad sunblock. Consumer Reports rates it highly. Seems to work well and is very inexpensive. 16oz. is about $7.00 at Walmart. Can't say how safe it is otherwise.

bikerboy337
08-31-2011, 02:22 PM
I use this and its been great...lasts long...in the tan container... Cheap too

echappist
08-31-2011, 02:41 PM
That sounds bad....but is it? And is it worse than not using sunscreen / melonoma?
it depends.

If you are red haired and have freckles, any sunscreen would be better than none. If you have more melanin, who knows what the tradeoff is. One thing's sure though, TiO2 and ZnO is safer and more effective.

Also should mention that you should buy broad spectrum protection (UV-A and UV-B), use generous heapings of it (size of golfball for your back), and reapply often.

I'm too lazy for all that and just wear arm coolers & a baselayer.

NRRider
08-31-2011, 03:51 PM
The No-Ad block and Banana Boat sunscreens both have the bad stuff that I'm trying to avoid.
What sleeves/arm coolers block UVA and UVB?

Karin Kirk
08-31-2011, 04:04 PM
This is a tough dilemma - you have to balance one risk against another without knowing the actual ill effects of the ingredients in the sunscreen. I use the environmental working group recommendations (someone posted the link earlier) and try to strike a balance between UV protection, unhealthy ingredients and the ick-factor on my skin.

The Beyond Coastal brand had satisfied all my criteria and I like it. BUT, when riding it turns to a sweaty, melty mess and I think it all ends up rubbed off anyway. I didn't have this problem until I started using it on hot rides. So now I am on the hunt again and I appreciate hearing what works for others.

Does anyone know if the "sport" variants are less likely to sweat off?

I think I am willing to give a little on the unhealthy ingredients if I can get it to actually stay on my skin.

I am all for the arm coolers and I'm shopping for some so recommendations are appreciated.

weiwentg
08-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Personally, I just use the Target (pronounced, tar-ZHAY) brand and call it a day :beer:

Don49
08-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Personally, I just use the Target (pronounced, tar-ZHAY) brand and call it a day :beer:
That's what I do too, the "Up&Up" house brand, 50spf, Sport Sunscreen Lotion. Seems equivalent to Coppertone or Banana Boat, except that the Target stuff is fragrance free which I much prefer. The scented brands always leave me with some sort of memory effect, and I can't get the smell out of my head.

schneiderrd
08-31-2011, 06:10 PM
I have had good luck with SOLRX. Check it out on the internet.