PDA

View Full Version : Lycra Repair, Lycra Thinning Questions

dekindy
08-31-2011, 08:08 AM
I have an otherwise pristine pair of bib shorts that has a small hole in them but big enough for someone to notice on last night's ride. They were only $40 on sale but a nice pair so call me a cheapskate since I want to repair them.

I did some research and found two McNett products, Iron Mend Fabric Repair Kit and also their Melco Heat Tape. They are primarily designed for diving wet suits but both products mention Lycra and I found some threads elsewhere from cyclists that had success.

Other references ranged from simple needle and thread that was crude, Frankenstein like I believe was the description, to complex stitching that my wife was not aware of. Some others even took their Lycra shorts to professional seamstress that repaired them for $7 to $15. Goretex patches were also mentioned.

There is a local diving store that carries McNett products so I may be able to source the product locally.

What have others done to repair their new Lycra?

Also I saw a reference to Lycra thinning as not being caused by wear but caused by bacteria due to lack of immediately washing them after wearing but instead putting them in the clothes hamper for a couple of days. Any ideas?

EDS
08-31-2011, 08:12 AM
Do what most others do, designate them for trainer duty and for wearing underneath tights when it gets cold.

crownjewelwl
08-31-2011, 08:21 AM
you are a cheapskate :beer:

nm87710
08-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Good Luck!

BlackTiBob
08-31-2011, 08:45 AM
I had thinning $150 set of bibs. All perfect except in the butt area, fabric thinned to "moon them" level.
My sister-in-law sewed another piece of black Lycra over the butt area .
I believe it took special needle for her machine and maybe stretchy thread.

LouDeeter
08-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Either wear them under something else, like for spinning class, or buy a thin pair of black lycra undergarment. Underarmor makes a compression short without padding that is perfect for such applications. I wouldn't waste time trying to sew them up, you will only weaken the area where you stitch. If you can iron on a patch, it might work.

Charles M
08-31-2011, 09:31 AM
D, what size are you?

dekindy
08-31-2011, 09:35 AM
D, what size are you?

XL, why?

godfrey1112000
08-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Do what most others do, designate them for trainer duty and for wearing underneath tights when it gets cold.

you are a cheapskate

It is always great to be on an early morning ride and see a beautiful sunrise and all of a sudden the is a "Moon" in your face

enjoy the new bibs you end up buying

old_fat_and_slow
08-31-2011, 10:21 AM
... snippage...
What have others done to repair their new Lycra?

Also I saw a reference to Lycra thinning as not being caused by wear but caused by bacteria due to lack of immediately washing them after wearing but instead putting them in the clothes hamper for a couple of days. Any ideas?

Just cut a piece of black lycra (big enough to patch over the current thinned area) from another old set of bibs, tights, arm warmers, etc., and hand sew or machine sew over affected area. If you can get some kind of stretchy thread, all the better. Wear your newly-repaired bibs/shorts with pride.

Recommendation: Don't buy $40 shorts in the future, unless you want all yer shorts to have patches on them.

dekindy
08-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Recommendation: Don't buy $40 shorts in the future, unless you want all yer shorts to have patches on them.

Actually they are these (http://www.voler.com/products/1110315GRYXSM.aspx) and quite nice. I figure I must have caught them on something which could happen to any shorts.

Clydesdale
08-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Just take a black sharpie and color whatever part of your skin shows through :)

old_fat_and_slow
08-31-2011, 11:04 AM
C'mon ! ? !

Yah need tah strut yer stuff in some of these (http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/ASSXBREY) fine Assos bibs. Show everyone that kewlness can be bought, (fer enuff jack).

William
08-31-2011, 11:25 AM
I just let them thin to sheer. Tends to cause motorists give me a wide berth. :D

William

rwsaunders
08-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Park tube patch. :cool:

johnnymossville
08-31-2011, 11:35 AM
wear'em loud and proud until things fall out.