PDA

View Full Version : Map My Ride

scooter01
08-31-2011, 08:04 AM
Who uses this site/ software?

I have just starting using this recently, now I need to decide to pay to use or find something else. Apparently I cannot print anything with the free version.

Any suggestions or feedback?

mvrider
08-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Try ridewithgps.com. It's just starting out, so the free version is very fully featured, inc. printing, cue sheets, exports to GPS units. The site is pretty fast, too. On a recent ride, I found its elevation calculation to be more accurate than mapmyride's (4200 ft over 60 miles instead of 2600 ft!).

I used to use bikely.com, but the server has become unreliable.

Folks with GPS devices seem to like strava.com, as well as Garmin's own http://connect.garmin.com/.

henrypretz
08-31-2011, 08:13 AM
I have been using Ride with GPS (http://ridewithgps.com/)
I know that with the free version you can print the maps, but I'm not sure about printing capabilities for cue sheets. (I haven't tried myself)

Henry

sc53
08-31-2011, 08:27 AM
I paid for the Silver edition membership but don't really know how to use this program. I need instruction!

kramnnim
08-31-2011, 02:56 PM
I've been using ridewithgps since January, and now whenever I have to use mapmyride I'm left feeling angry...the site is so bloated.

christian
08-31-2011, 03:03 PM
mapmyride is possibly the worst website ever created. It enrages me each time I go near it.

ridewithgps, however, is delightful.

So there's that.

palincss
08-31-2011, 03:27 PM
It can't be the worst ever created now, because it was worse before (what with that sticky pop-up ad that followed your mouse pointer like a big square booger you couldn't shake off, obscuring everything you were trying to do) but it is pretty bad.

+1 for ridewithgps.com, which continues to get better the more they tweak it

sc53
08-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Looks like I signed up for the wrong program, should have gone with RideWithGPS. I find Map My Ride really confusing!

GRAVELBIKE
08-31-2011, 03:48 PM
MapMyRide has lots of issues/bugs. Not my favorite.

RideWithGPS and Strava have a cleaner interface, IME.

BumbleBeeDave
08-31-2011, 03:59 PM
. . . associate with BikeRadar.com, but half the time I can't seem to get in. The must use an old Mac II for their server . . . or a Commodore 64. :crap:

MapMyRide is, indeed, enraging . . . so many ads and promos I couldn't even look at it to SEE if I wanted to join! :crap:

BBD

bocarider
08-31-2011, 04:01 PM
I have done this a numebr of times as I like the elevation profiles on ridewithgps more than those on mapmyride. It takes a couple of steps, but it's just mouseclicks. There are more routes you can cop from mapmyride as it has a deeper user base, so it is a better resource when you are looking for bike routes in unfamiliar territory.

1. Save the mapmyride route you like in .gpx format onto your hard drive

2. Open up ridewithgps and import the .gpx file you copped from mapmyride

3. Print, revise, do what you want at will.

Try it - it works pretty well.

fkelly
08-31-2011, 06:11 PM
If you go with ridewithgps, take some time to read their first frequently asked question (FAQ). It is the best explanation for the main difficulty that many people have with mapping programs ... failure to zoom in adequately to place turns accurately.

I would also recommend checking each turn on the cue sheet as you enter it on the maps. It's a little slower than clicking madly away but it is much easier and faster overall than trying to correct a map once you've entered it. Going back to turn 2 in a 30 turn map and changing it can cause all kinds of wheels to fall off ... sometimes.

Also, realize that they are based on the Google routing "engine" (as are most web based mapping programs) and thus susceptible to flaws in that. Also they are susceptible to flaws in the underlying map data over which they have little or no control. As an example sometimes the mapping engine will think that a given road is one-way and not let you make a turn into it. Sometimes it will think there is a no left turn sign where you need to make a left (and in reality where you can). You can get around those issues by turning the "Optimize Path for" from cycling to walking, at least temporarily.

The "free" printing on ridewithgps is rudimentary at best. To get decent printing you need to subscribe (I think it's $50 per year).

GRAVELBIKE
08-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Anyone else having problems uploading to RideWithGPS? When I upload today's ride from my Edge 500, I get this:

Failed to process /var/www/ridewithgps.com/releases/20110831204716/2011-08-31-17-09-51.fit: Trip#points_of_interest= delegated to route.points_of_interest=, but route is nil: #<Trip id: nil, group_membership_id: 51494, route_id: 0, created_at: nil, gear_id: nil, group_id: nil, departed_at: nil, duration: nil, distance: nil, elevation_gain: 224.216, elevation_loss: 224.462, visibility: 0, description: nil, is_gps: false, bad_elevations: false, name: nil, max_hr: nil, min_hr: nil, avg_hr: nil, max_cad: nil, min_cad: nil, avg_cad: nil, avg_speed: nil, max_speed: nil, hr_data: nil, speed_data: nil, directions: nil, has_histogram_image: false, moving_time: nil, processed: true, avg_watts: nil, max_watts: nil, min_watts: nil, is_stationary: false>. Task queued less than a minute ago

palincss
09-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Send in a bug report.

rugbysecondrow
09-01-2011, 07:50 AM
mapmyride is possibly the worst website ever created. It enrages me each time I go near it.

ridewithgps, however, is delightful.

So there's that.

Ditto. Ridewithgps.com is very good.

torquer
09-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Plenty to be annoyed with in MapMyRide, but it has one advantage over Ride with GPS: it allows me to map my ride following the local bike path; last time I tried Ride with GPS, it wouldn't recognize routes off the streets.
But I didn't spend much time adjusting settings. Anyone know of a workaround?

russ46
09-01-2011, 11:51 AM
I've got the Map my Ride silver membership right now but won't reup. Very buggy site with lots of fluff & no substance. I much prefer Strava.

PaMtbRider
09-01-2011, 12:05 PM
It can't be said enough, mapmyride sucks! ridewithgps rocks!

christian
09-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Plenty to be annoyed with in MapMyRide, but it has one advantage over Ride with GPS: it allows me to map my ride following the local bike path; last time I tried Ride with GPS, it wouldn't recognize routes off the streets.
I have used RidewithGPS to map rides using the North County and South County (Westchester, NY) trailways, so while I am not aware of any workaround, I think it's possible. Is it possible that the local bike path is not in the base map data set?

rice rocket
09-01-2011, 12:40 PM
I've got the Map my Ride silver membership right now but won't reup. Very buggy site with lots of fluff & no substance. I much prefer Strava.

Strava's pretty buggy too. Things don't update all the time, and some things just calculate weird. Check your climbs, one of my 1.3 mile climbs was listed as 2.9 (because of GPS inaccuracies) and gave me an average of 19 mph when I was in my 34x28 gear. :rolleyes:

I like the "competition" part of it, but even that isn't good either because it picks arbitrary start/finish points that it deems "close enough".

I won't be renewing my membership here either and will probably just get a Garmin and use their Connect software.

GRAVELBIKE
09-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Send in a bug report.

The ride showed up when I logged in this morning. I'll file a bug if it does it again.

palincss
09-01-2011, 02:08 PM

Select Follow Roads and Optimize Path for Cycling, and it will follow bike paths it knows about. Around here, that's most.

BumbleBeeDave
09-01-2011, 02:18 PM
. . . it sounds like unless you have a Garmin that you can plug in that automatically generates a map, NONE of these sites works very well.

Does that just about cover it?

BBD

palincss
09-01-2011, 04:11 PM
No, I think that's pretty far off, actually. I'm quite happy with ridewithgps.com and think pretty much all the time, for pretty much everything I want to do, it's just fine. There are 1 or 2 quirks every now and then, mostly the fault of the underlying google map API, but if I had to give it a grade, the worst I'd give it would be a solid B+. That's a far cry from "doesn't work well."

christian
09-01-2011, 04:23 PM
I use Garmin Connect for logging my runs with a Forerunner 305. I use ridewithgps only to create cure sheets for bike rides and motorcycle rides - basically never using it for gps logging. I find that creating rides is exactly what ridewithgps excels at. Like Steve, I'd give it a solid B+ at least.

JDtwowheels
09-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Map My Ride irritates every part of my nervous system into a fury!

torquer
09-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Select Follow Roads and Optimize Path for Cycling, and it will follow bike paths it knows about. Around here, that's most.
Just tried it, and that works great.
Thanks!
I also found that the path shows up much clearer (dotted line) when I clicked on the "Terrain" button in the map drop-down menu.

GuyGadois
09-02-2011, 10:34 AM
I use Strava for my GPS logging and find it the best. They just opened it up for free now. It is interesting to see how fast the top riders in our area go up these hills.

GG

fkelly
09-02-2011, 10:46 AM
"Plenty to be annoyed with in MapMyRide, but it has one advantage over Ride with GPS: it allows me to map my ride following the local bike path; last time I tried Ride with GPS, it wouldn't recognize routes off the streets.
But I didn't spend much time adjusting settings. Anyone know of a workaround?"

Try optimize path for walking. The "cycling" route engine still wants to follow the rules of the road, I think, including one-ways and it may not know about bike paths. I'm not sure that walking will get you what you want either but it might. Think of the driving option as "less control" the cycling option as "more control" and the walking option as "most control". I was recently trying to develop a map of a local bike race course on ridewithgps. In cycling mode it would not let me take the first left turn on the course. It would go up to the next road, put a coursepoint in, do a U turn and come back and make a right where I wanted to do a left. I tried everything until they suggested walking mode, which worked fine.

palincss
09-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Just tried it, and that works great.
Thanks!
I also found that the path shows up much clearer (dotted line) when I clicked on the "Terrain" button in the map drop-down menu.

That's definitely one time "Terrain" view is good to have. Also useful for estimating the hilliness of the terrain, although not so good in that respect as contour lines (I wish topo map was always an option!). Another real winner is the satellite view. That's the best way to confirm that a road you see on the map is actually there on the ground, and not just a gleam in a planner's eye.