PDA

View Full Version : .

cat6
08-30-2011, 07:15 PM
The Gateway District is a large open air retail, residential and office complex in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States. The complex is centered around the historic Union Pacific Depot in downtown Salt Lake City. It currently contains over 105 stores and restaurants.

rugbysecondrow
08-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Sounds like a local management issue, I have never experienced that.

fourflys
08-30-2011, 07:24 PM
well, first I wouldn't go back to that store... second, I'd use UPS... you can do all the stuff on line at home and either take it to a UPS store or have the driver pick it up... all I've done when shipping a bike or frame is drop it off at the store, not issues... (they do check it in...)

like you said, could just be that management wanting to jack up the average sale or items per transaction... corporate stuff can cause shady behavior sometimes when all they look at is metrics...

merckx
08-30-2011, 07:24 PM
I would always let them inspect the package. Get documentation from them that it passed their inspection. If you have to make a claim you will have proof that it was packaged to their specification. Put the responsibility on them. Also, I would come armed with your own extra packing material in the event that they say you need more reinforcement.

ultraman6970
08-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Personally it is understandable that they want to see the item, maybe because too many broken frames issues for them? I mean it is always a way to ask the things and probably if they could ask you nicely or give you a good reason like... "there have many issues with damaged frames so we are getting sure the items are ok packaged, we apologize" or something. That could put the things in a better plan.

My experience is that for some reason all the time bike frame boxes get always damaged, holes and stuff, like they couldnt care at all. My friend with a store everytime he gets something the darn box has a hole in it, sometimes even looks like the guys just play soccer with the boxes before putting them in the truck, it is just ridiculous. My last bike came by ups and came with a hole in the middle that I still cant understand, the box is not big, it is light also so handling is pretty easy but has a hole in it.

Happy u were able to ship your stuff...

:)

false_Aest
08-30-2011, 07:42 PM
It sounds fishy

so let em inspect it. make sure its documented like whomever said.

then make sure it ends up damaged.

Imagine being able to rock a new harlequin paintjob because a fedex employee didn't notice that there's a few chips on the chainstay.

zmudshark
08-30-2011, 07:45 PM
I have never had that happen. I prepay, print labels on line (Much cheaper) and drop it at the local terminal, a Kinko's store, or give it to a driver.

I am a retired UPS employee, always ship FDX, it's less expensive, by a wide margin, and they don't handle the volume that UPS does. More volume = greater chance of damage, IME.

jischr
08-30-2011, 07:46 PM
If possible I'd take it to a FedEx distribution center rather than a mom/pop store that will forward it to FedEx for you. I've never had a counter person ask to inspect a box, not that I ship all that much.

On the recieving side I got an ebay bike via UPS that had about 1-1.5 mm of the front axle ground off on an angle. It was poking through the cardboard and had move about two inches based on the hole in the box. I didn't seek compensation or return it since it was still functional, but I looked at everything else closely before coming to that decision.

93legendti
08-30-2011, 07:51 PM
I've shipped guitars, bikes and wheels via Fed Ex over 20 times and never had that happen. I usually drop the packages off, but a few times Fed Ex has picked from my house. Never had any problems with Fed Ex and my stuff usually arrived in 2 days.

If it was me, I might think about calling the regional supervisor to air my complaint. I had an issue with a local Starbucks and the reg. supervisor was glad I called: he rectified the situation; offered to meet me to buy me a coffee and sent me $20 in coupons.

Don49
08-30-2011, 07:55 PM
That's happened to me several times at the local Kinkos/Fedex when shipping wheelsets and frames. They never tried to upsell me on anything, just wanted to inspect the packing. Now I just anticipate an inspection and don't tape up the box until they have a look. I look at it as protection for me as a shipper, because if the contents get damaged we won't be arguing later over the adequacy of the packaging when I file a claim.

dave thompson
08-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Go to FedEx.com and set yourself up with an account. That way you can arrange, pay for and make labels for a shipment entirely online then drop it off at *anyplace* that accepts FedEx packages, Kinkos, Mailboxes Etc, etc., without any further hassles. Be pretty accurate with your dimensions and weights 'cause they are checked and you could be billed extra if they're off.

I've had a FedEx account for years and I'm very pleased with the service and lack of problems.

SEABREEZE
08-30-2011, 08:14 PM
They may have your name red flaged for to many claims on the receiving end.

Just speculation....

As others said, its not the norm.. Also from my own experiences with Fed X as well.

Sounds isolated to that particular depot.

rePhil
08-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Are you talking about shipping from a FedEx branch (where the trucks hang out) or one of those shipping outlets like kinkos, mailboxes etc?
I have never had any trouble at all at my local fedex outlet. I have shipped cameras, bikes,and frames. Inspection was never mentioned.
As far as I know my fedex location does not even sell anything but shipping.I've never seen tape, packing materials etc for sale, let alone ask to purchase any.

cat6
08-30-2011, 08:31 PM
They may have your name red flaged for to many claims on the receiving end.

Just speculation....
Sounds isolated to that particular depot.

I've shipped using FedEx almost exclusively for years, and have never filed a claim, they ask to inspect before anything is even entered in the system.

cat6
08-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Are you talking about shipping from a FedEx branch (where the trucks hang out) or one of those shipping outlets like kinkos, mailboxes etc?

It's a Fedex/Kinko's, they're now called "Fedex Office" I think that's my best bet, to go to distribution center as mentioned earlier by someone else. Thanks for the comments, really I just needed a place to vent. If they need to inspect they could have at least been on the same page, kept things consistent. One wants to check my packing, the other wants to check for damage. I've written FedEx Corp just for the hell of it. I'm curious to see if refusal to ship a bicycle frame without an inspection is acceptable to the company.

Thanks for the feedback.

BumbleBeeDave
08-30-2011, 08:47 PM
. . . that local manager may have gotten screwed on a damage case and they are protecting themselves--or so they think. The kid behind the counter is just doing what they are told. The big question is who is behind them making the policy. Local kiosk/location owner?

If I ship my $5k custom frame off to an eBay buyer from the local mom & pop place, it arrives damaged, and I file a claim--which FedEx eventually pays--who actually pays for that money they give me in damages? Does FedEx really pay it, or do they kick it back and take a piece out of the original independent shipping location? Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they do--and put it in the original contract with the independent that they can do that.

BBD

Charles M
08-30-2011, 09:53 PM
They're doing what I would do and what I've seen done more than a few times as my weighs nada parts get marked with values in the thousands.

Standard business.

Next time thank them for taking particularly good care to make sure your items travel safely

mister
08-30-2011, 09:54 PM
sounds like a fedex kinkos to me.
aren't they independently owned/under different management?

if i can i always go to a real fedex office
everytime i go to kinkos it ends up being about 10-15% more than the estimate online...give same dimensions weight declared value blah blah...

Wilkinson4
08-30-2011, 10:11 PM
My Fedex/Kinko story from a few weeks back... I have had them request to inspect many times and although it is annoying I let them.

I had a box with a set of wheels in it. Everything was well packed and I just used a little bit of tape on top knowing they would ask to open it.

I went to my local Fedex store and they asked. Below is the blow-by-blow after box is opened:

Fedex Clerk: "Let me ask you this. You know better than me but if we were to put a 150lbs box on this box could it withstand it."

Me: "Sure."

At which point I look down and in the trash is some pristine packing materials, so I reach down and stuff it in the box between the wheels.

Me: "We can use this. This should help."

Fedex Clerk: "Sir, I can't let you use trash in this box."

He pulls packing material out and puts it back in trash.

Me" "Whhhhat?

Fedex Clerk: "Sir, I can't let you use trash in this box."

Me: "What do you mean?"

Getting agitated.

Fedex Clerk: "Sir, you got that out of the trash correct?"

Me: "Yes".

Fedex Clerk: "I can't allow you to use trash in this box."

Loosing my cool.

Me: "What the f**k are you talking about? There is nothing but trash in that box!"

Fedex Clerk: "Sir, you can't use our trash. You can call my regional manager if you like."

Me: "That makes no sense. And if I call he will side with you anyway."

Fedex Clerk: "You're darn tootin he will side with me."

Me: "You know what, give me my damn box."

At which point I take my box and grab that packing material out of the trash. It was nice packing material. He then snatches the packing material out of my hand. It takes all my control not to knock his teeth out.

Fedex Clerk: "I can't let you take this trash. Think of it this way, if you are in a bar and someone writes something on a napkin and throws it away. There may be some sensitive information there."

Me: "You are f***ing high."

Ok, so I didn't handle that very well. I was wrong to act that way. But that guy totally pushed my buttons that morning... I had a headache, was tired from travel and he was a dip***t. But still, bad form on my part. Still can't believe he walked around the counter and snatched the material out of my hand like that.

I wonder, when they put your name in the system can they see if you've had a claim before?

Fedex smashed the BB shell on Rivendell frame I received and I had to go through alot to get reimbursed.

mIKE

cat6
08-30-2011, 10:27 PM
They're doing what I would do and what I've seen done more than a few times as my weighs nada parts get marked with values in the thousands.

Standard business.

Next time thank them for taking particularly good care to make sure your items travel safely

I'll respectfully disagree. There's a 99.9% chance the person inspecting the packing/bike has never disassembled a bike, nor packed one (properly) and wouldn't know a Moots from a Magna. They're not documenting brands or taking photos, and if you cared to read the entire post you'd see that the managers concern was inspecting the bike for damage prior to shipment while the employee's was proper packing. There is no consistency there.

cmg
08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
I'll respectfully disagree. There's a 99.9% chance the person inspecting the packing/bike has never disassembled a bike, nor packed one (properly) and wouldn't know a Moots from a Magna. They're not documenting brands or taking photos, and if you cared to read the entire post you'd see that the managers concern was inspecting the bike for damage prior to shipment while the employee's was proper packing. There is no consistency there.

If they're not taking photos how are they documenting condition? taking the word of an employee who has never "disassembled a bike, nor packed one (properly) and wouldn't know a Moots from a Magna" may not be a good policy. the whole fiasco is for an up charge for something needless. That's the motivator.

rice rocket
08-30-2011, 11:04 PM

You're missing the point.

If they do an inspection and okay it, the responsibility is entirely in their hands, not yours, and there is zero reason for them to deny your claim.

Why is there such a giant fuss about this when they're trying to protect you?

dekindy
08-30-2011, 11:06 PM
I guess from business standpoint it is okay to let uninspected packages into the system as long as the majority of shippers are honest and insurance revenues exceed claims. Apparently that is not the case anymore and I suspect there will be more pre-inspection of high dollar, insured packages. It will be interesting to see if there is an organized effort to scam shipping companies. It certainly is not unheard of, insurance scams that is. What keeps a shipper from packing damaged goods or receivers from damaging them after receipt and making fraudelent claims? Inspect before accepting and photograph the package as it is delivered and record it for future reference. The technology is certainly there. Maybe 60 minutes will do an investigation or the authorities will do a sting and uncover an organized effort on shipping insurance scams.

EricEstlund
08-30-2011, 11:18 PM
I believe this to be "standard policy" for items over $1k. They are theoretically inspecting to make sure the items are boxed according to their recommended packing method (minimum stand off from the inner wall, material between parts, etc). I regularly ship from the same location on my account, but have been asked to inspect. Worst case scenario you either get sent home with a package they wouldn't insure the contents of or you get signed off on an insurable packing job. Pretty win/ win. Just budget time.

cat6
08-30-2011, 11:32 PM

If they do an inspection and okay it, the responsibility is entirely in their hands, not yours, and there is zero reason for them to deny your claim.

Do you really believe that having them inspect my box would make a claim any easier? I'd like to see that on my receipt if that's the case. I compared the reciept of my "inspected" camera to that of my uninspected frame and they read the same, except the camera has some additional packing material listed as well. Are the other Fedex facilities that are shipping high price items without inspection just reckless and wild? I don't think so, but that's just my point of view. I put time and effort into packing a bike, I don't want to have to unpack and repack it at a crowded counter at 9am, I want to sign my name and be on my way. If having them open it would mean guaranteed no-questions-asked reimbursement on a damage claim, I'd be all for it, but it doesn't, and yet you seem to think it does for some reason.

130R
08-30-2011, 11:35 PM
it's not just fedex. ups places do the same thing.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2011, 08:09 AM
The past few times I've shipped from my local Fedex Office the person working has asked to "inspect my packing" based on the declared amount. The first instance was a couple of months back with a $350 camera. Since this was the first time being asked I reluctantly obliged. The 17-20yr old girl was like "Well, it looks OK but I think it needs blah blah blah. Long story short I forked out an extra $8 by the time I left for some extra stuff I doubt I really needed. While she was re-packing the box for me she said something along the lines of "They train us to scare you in to buying more stuff." She thought it was cute, I found it infuriating. My 2 minute drop off turned in to a more expensive 15 minute headache.

Since then I've shipped 2 frames and a NIB Campy group, each with a value over 1K. With the first frame I declined their check, no problem. With the Campy group I also declined, no problem. Keep in mind each time they ASK to check, and say things like "would you feel confident it falling off this counter?". Whatever.

This morning I went to ship a frame with a declared value of $1K and they asked to inspect my packing. Frustrated, I said NO. Then she says "Well I'm going to have to mark down that you declined to have it inspected". When I asked what that meant she said "It means nothing but I have to mark it anyway". *** does that mean? At this point I asked to speak to a manager and I was in for a real surprise. The manager said they wouldn't ship the bike if she was not able to INSPECT IT. The manager said she needed to check the bike for DAMAGE prior to shipment, she mentioned nothing about making sure it was packed properly contrary to the original girl. WOWOWOW! I asked her if she was serious, she said yes. I asked what she would be looking for on the bike specifically and she sat there like a dummy looking at me with box cutter in hand ready to open my box.

I asked once more before I wrote down her name "So you are refusing to ship this package unless I allow you to open and inspect it?" Her answer was "Yes." I took the box and left, got a big F-U on the way out by some wise ass kid working elsewhere in the store watching the situation "Thank you sir, have a nice day".

I drove 15 minutes to a different Fedex location and shipped the bike with the same declared value, in and out in 5 minutes. No questions asked.

What's the deal? Am I overreacting to this? Anyone in-the-know that can shed light on this? Is Fedex pushing employees to scare customers in to buying extra packing materials? Is each Fedex Office independently owned and operated? Could it just be this locations shady management's plan to earn an extra buck? I've been using Fedex for years and this is something either completely new to me, or something isolated to this particular location.

Thoughts?

Is this at a Kinkos/FedEx or a dedicated FedEx office? I don't take anything to the much closer Kinkos/FedEx because the youngsters in there don't seem to GAS and I don't want the stuff lost. At the FedEx office, the people are long time FedEx employees, know their stuff, always thank me.

BTW-I ship a fair amount and have never been asked the 'inspect' question.

sc53
08-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Inspection of the bike by such uninformed unknowledgeable people is worthless. I'm sure it would not expedite payment of any claim for damage because the claims people have nothing to do with the counter people, and probably know that the counter people's inspections are crap! I would point out to counter people that opening my carefully packaged box will disturb the packing job and can they guarantee that their inspection will not result in subsequent damage to my item while in transit? Ask for the guarantee in writing.

Idris Icabod
08-31-2011, 10:14 AM
I shipped a bike through Fedex and used the buyers fedex account number. Filled in the form and the lady at the office said the number was in the wrong box, crossed it out a wrote it in a different box. About a month later I get a bill from FedEx, the number was in the wrong box and since I'm the shipper I am liable for costs. They have the form and she confirms that the acct # was initially in the correct box but since it was crossed out she can't bill the receiver. The guy who bought the bike said he would look in to it and then disappears off the face of the earth, the local FedEx store completely washed it's hands of it. I got absolutely hosed on that sale.

Now I use FedEx from work. We have a LARGE account with them. I shipped a pair of wheels back to Easton a few week ago and it cost me $6 instead of the $36 if I had paid over the counter. Also, I just gave the wheels to the shipping guys here and they pack the cr@p out of them. It's a really nice luxury!

jeo99
08-31-2011, 11:36 AM
I have never had this issue from FedEx in ten years of sevice. I have a personal account, print off the lable, attach to the box and drop off at the actual FedEx office and out in less than 30-secs. In-fact, they offer cookies and coffee and I indulge most every time. They are much cheaper than UPS and most times faster. You can trace thru the weekend, drop off late into the evening and they deliver on Saturday. UPS stops all operations after 5:00 on Fridays. Unless you pay a premium. my .02

:beer:

buck-50
08-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Say what you will about fedex, their claims department is much easier to deal with. When UPS destroys your frame, it's gonna take months of chasing and hours of paperwork, phonecalls and BS to get a check. When FedEx does it, things are wrapped up in about 2 weeks, provided your customer isn't insane.

goonster
08-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Fedex Clerk: "I can't let you take this trash. Think of it this way, if you are in a bar and someone writes something on a napkin and throws it away. There may be some sensitive information there."
His reasoning is stupid, and he didn't handle the exchange well at all, but in terms of the garbage, he has a point.

It is common practice for businesses to prohibit retrieval of garbage. Generally, this has to do with safety/liability concerns, not sensitive information, since the trash could be contaminated or hazardous in some way. At any rate, it is their right to stop you from taking it.

Garbage left unsecured in public, e.g. in an unlocked can on the sidewalk, is a different matter, and the SCOTUS ruled (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_v._Greenwood) that such items are not private.

Charles M
08-31-2011, 03:04 PM

Or I didnt make the point clear enough...

The brand of bike (or in fact ANY product) and how it's put together are irrelevant.

The overt condition of the product and it's proper packing to better ensure safe travel are what the inspection is for.

I sent a watch to someone in NY and neither I nor the FEDex Guy know how to assemble one and I have no idea if he know Piaget from swatch, but he saw 5 figures and wanted to inspect it. Looked at the case, box and packing and noted the extra straps on the ticket as well, he put a thin wrap of foam around the leather box, stuck it back in the outter box and that was that.

If I were going to indure "X" thing worth 2-3-15 thousand dollars were going to arrive in good condition, you bet your a$$ I would want to make sure it departed in good condition and would likely make the trip.

I have no idea why someone should find that odd and or wouldn't rather have their shipper do that. Not prefering your shipper do that makes no sense what so ever...

oldfatslow
08-31-2011, 06:26 PM
I have never had this issue from FedEx in ten years of sevice. I have a personal account, print off the lable, attach to the box and drop off at the actual FedEx office and out in less than 30-secs. In-fact, they offer cookies and coffee and I indulge most every time. They are much cheaper than UPS and most times faster. You can trace thru the weekend, drop off late into the evening and they deliver on Saturday. UPS stops all operations after 5:00 on Fridays. Unless you pay a premium. my .02

:beer:

Agree completely with this post. I've shipped via FedEx ground hard bike case, bikes in cardboard boxes, wheels, components, and the lot all without issue and never had anything inspected. I do have an online account so when I drop at FedEx Office (formerly known as Kinko's) I simply drop it off, wait for them to scan it and give me a receipt that the package is in their possession, and then skip out. Avoid the "Mailboxes etc." places like the plague -- they mark up the full list price of any shipped by 30-40% and want to make money off packaging.

In all my years of using Fedex I've never had an issue. YMMV.

Wilkinson4
08-31-2011, 07:39 PM
His reasoning is stupid, and he didn't handle the exchange well at all, but in terms of the garbage, he has a point.

My cooler head agrees. But, the way he came around the counter and snatched it out of my hand hand me standing their with a clinched fist.

Meh... They just don't get my biz anymore. I'll go to another one even if this is more convenient.

mIKE

zmudshark
08-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Any shipment over $1k, either FDX or UPS, is considered a 'high value', and needs to be segregated from other packages, according to their rules. Typically these are signed for by the drivers each step of the way, and loaded in a special place on the trailers for cross country shipments.

When I worked there, the drivers had to initial every high value, and unload them to a special place, where the inside clerk would then initial that they received the package. The semi driver, likewise would sign for X high value packages, and have them signed off at his destination, and so on.

Because fraud is rampant, they put these rules into effect years ago. Personally, I don't tell them it's high value, just drop it off a the terminal, or give to the driver.

If they want to burn you on your packing of a bike, and a claim, they can anytime. Their guidelines specify a minimum of 3" between any part of the packed object and the box. That's pretty much impossible to do.

tl;dr: they make the rules

cat6
08-31-2011, 08:56 PM
If I were going to indure "X" thing worth 2-3-15 thousand dollars were going to arrive in good condition, you bet your a$$ I would want to make sure it departed in good condition and would likely make the trip.

I have no idea why someone should find that odd and or wouldn't rather have their shipper do that. Not prefering your shipper do that makes no sense what so ever...

i don't want to argue, not what i was looking for with this post. i don't think a teenager working at the fedex counter is going to school me on packing a bike, and i don't think the fedex manager will be properly able to inspect my bike for damage. the fact that this inspection offers no additional certainty for a claim, at least none that they mentioned, it seems like a complete waste of time. i understand your point, i don' think it's way off, hopefully you see mine too. i'd also keep in mind that the employees i dealt with were less than friendly and less than helpful/informative, which doesn't help any situation.

Charles M
08-31-2011, 10:16 PM

You were right. He's missing it.

rustychisel
08-31-2011, 10:20 PM
i don't want to argue, not what i was looking for with this post. i don't think a teenager working at the fedex counter is going to school me on packing a bike, and i don't think the fedex manager will be properly able to inspect my bike for damage. the fact that this inspection offers no additional certainty for a claim, at least none that they mentioned, it seems like a complete waste of time. i understand your point, i don' think it's way off, hopefully you see mine too. i'd also keep in mind that the employees i dealt with were less than friendly and less than helpful/informative, which doesn't help any situation.

So in the end does it come down to good training and communication for employees, currently not in evidence? Sounds like it. They're trying to protect against damage/claims/fraud/theft and you don't want any of those things happening either.

What's next in the USA? TSA inspection officers standing at the counter at every Fedex?