PDA

View Full Version : Hotel in Portland Maine

dperez@shutts.c
08-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Hello

I'm going to Portland Maine in October to do some CX racing. I'm looking for a nice luxury hotel as I'm bringing the wife.

Any recomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dario :banana:

sam.g
08-30-2011, 10:31 AM
I stayed several nights at the Eastland Park Hotel last summer, it's an older historic hotel with some character but clean and extremely convenient. 207-775-5411

Sam in Cincy

Bruce K
08-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Not sure which (or how many) of the three Maine cyclocross races I'll be doing or if I willl commute back home on Saturday night of New Gloucester.

See you there,

BK

Climb01742
08-30-2011, 11:52 AM
last summer we stayed here...they have both rooms and cottages...very nice.

http://www.innbythesea.com/

but the key thing about going to portland, me is the food. there are a lot of great restaurants. be sure to try some. your stomach will thank you.

echelon_john
08-30-2011, 11:56 AM
another vote for Inn By The Sea. very nice full service inn; decent food but so many great options in portland.

itsflantastic
08-30-2011, 12:02 PM
I always go for the budget La Quinta or the Ho Jo's in So Po, so can't help you with nice hotels. That said, let me know if you want to know where to eat :) I've spent a good amount of time there. And if you have any extra days in Maine, I can send you to some really beautiful spots to check out the leaves that won't have too many tourists.

csm
08-30-2011, 07:57 PM
not exactly luxury but... the Holiday Inn Express in South Portland was my choice when I'd be up there. and I felt smarter afterwards.

oldfatslow
08-30-2011, 08:53 PM
I stayed at this B&B many years ago and had a good experience.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g40827-d252328-Reviews-The_Inn_at_Park_Spring-Portland_Maine.html

I would look at the more recent reviews as our stay was five or six years ago.

buldogge
08-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Is DuckFat still open? Really liked that place last time I was in Portland...

We stayed in the Eastland as well...a little tatty around the edges, but kinda cool in an old school way...definitely conveniently located.

Have a lobster roll (or 3) for me...hit up J's on the wharf.

-Mark in St. Louis

ALB
08-31-2011, 07:53 AM
I've also recently stayed in the Eastland Park. As sam said above, it's a historic hotel with character. Some people will like that character even more than a typical hotel (I did), some might not. Because it's an older building, it feels different than the homogenized upscale US hotel vibe you find in newer buildings. It's still classy, but you can see some of the layers of different renovations and refittings the space has gone through over time.

Climb01742
08-31-2011, 08:58 AM
something to consider: would you (and your wife) rather drive to most things or walk to most things? the eastland park is very centrally located, within walking distance to the waterfront and a ton of places to eat. the inn by the sea is, well, by the sea out on beautiful cape elizabeth, but you'd have to drive everywhere...except to the ocean. one other thing to consider about downtown portland...how to say this...its street vibe can be a bit funky...not good or bad...just funky...and is that a vibe you can dig?

dperez@shutts.c
08-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great info. :bike:

I will run the hotels by the Boss and see which one she likes.

I prefer something in town (as I hate driving). But, she may veto me on that.

Any restaurant recomendations would be appreciated.

Also, if there are any must see/do places please pass them along.

I will have a car so we can drive, if needed.

Once again, a really big thanks for the recommndations.

If any of you are doing the race, look for the guy from Miami with the Blue and white Shutts and Bowen Kit. I will be the guy near the back of the 45 plus race.

schwa86
08-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Two more ideas (one hotel, one food). The Portland Regency -- not the fanciest, but in an old armory (so kind of cool) with a good spa and fitness ctr and right in the Old Port area.

Eat at Fore Street.

Climb01742
08-31-2011, 08:53 PM
eat at 'the corner room'.