PDA

View Full Version : Post hurricane ride . . .

BumbleBeeDave
08-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Very strange day today. Tried to go into work, but the factory is by the river and all the entry routes were closed because of the flooding. But as I drove around downtown, trying different ways to get in, all was calm and looked totally normal--as I listened to story after story on the radio about incredible devastation.

So I worked from home as much as I could, working for a while, then taking a break to cart more stuff out of the basement into the beautiful sunshine. Is it always so clean and fresh after a hurricane? Sky was totally clear and air smelled so clean. The orange and brown disco era shag carpet in my rec room is toast. I'm gonna have to tear it up and cart it out within the next few days or it will start to mold. Everything else was on pallets aside from a few boxes of miscellaneous stuff.

This evening I went for a ride on the bike trail, ducking under the police tape like everyone else was doing and climbing off my cross bike to cart it over all the fallen trees that have not yet been cut apart.

The trail is on the old trolley right of way right by the Mohawk River and the water was higher than I've ever seen it--withing a few feet of the trail on either side at times. I was sure I would have to turn back any minute with it flooded, but the water never quite got up to the trail.

Here's what it was like . . . road next to the trail is under water, and trail is deserted.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
08-29-2011, 08:00 PM
. . . were flooded out. This was one of three munching on grass right by the pavement when I rode by. I stopped, this one looked up at me, when "Meh!", and went back to eating.

BumbleBeeDave
08-29-2011, 08:01 PM
. . . and God only knows when they will get them all removed.

BumbleBeeDave
08-29-2011, 08:02 PM
. . . I was able to get past most of them.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
08-29-2011, 08:03 PM
. . . but quiet and beautiful in spots. Just strange to have such a beautiful evening and nobody out there.

BumbleBeeDave
08-29-2011, 08:04 PM
. . . to be out on bridges during floods. Never know when it might go down and take you with it!

The water is usually 15 or so feet lower than this. Unbelievable water levels.

BumbleBeeDave
08-29-2011, 08:05 PM
. . . I've gone as far as I'm gonna go.

BumbleBeeDave
08-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Jumpin' Jack's is a local legend.

Jumpin' Jack's is the home of deliciously greasy burgers and fries.

Jumpin' Jack's is under water.

Fishbike
08-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Was glad to have a cross bike this evening. Fat tires did good job with the debris. May cleaner roads be in all of our futures.

SEABREEZE
08-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Nice assement BBD, but truly sad to see all the destruction in the north east.

dlbracey
08-29-2011, 09:36 PM
I went for a ride on the west side bike path in NYC tonight, nothing extreme, but I came across a few spots where you could see that the water had come over the wall. Beautiful sunset over jersey. Wish I'd had my camera.

BumbleBeeDave
08-29-2011, 09:43 PM
. . . looks pristine compared to ones farther downstate and down in Jersey and Maryland. Best of luck to them!

BBD

Matt-H
08-29-2011, 09:43 PM
I did a similar ride here yesterday. Same sights, different town, but I forgot the camera. And yes, today was absolutely beautiful weather.

EDS
08-30-2011, 08:32 AM
I went for a ride on the west side bike path in NYC tonight, nothing extreme, but I came across a few spots where you could see that the water had come over the wall. Beautiful sunset over jersey. Wish I'd had my camera.

Other then in Battery Park, the water did not quite make it over the wall onto the path. Most of the debris was from run-off coming down the hill.

dlbracey
08-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Other then in Battery Park, the water did not quite make it over the wall onto the path. Most of the debris was from run-off coming down the hill.

Good point. Thanks for the correction, this was uptown and now that I think about it was clearly run-off from the hill.