PDA

View Full Version : New tubular tire

OperaLover
08-29-2011, 01:12 PM
expensive. freshly glued. Slow leak. (loses pressure in 2 or three hours; less if ridning.) any suggestions on a quick fix. Tire sealant?

Hoped to post a glowing review of the ride. Instead had to call my wife to come pick me up less than 3 miles from home. Didn't want to put on the spare if this tire can be saved. Bummer!

Wanted to use tubies for the upcomig Grand Fondo Whistler. Brought my '98 Camoy Electrons out of retirement. Prestretechd the tires, but didn't check them until a week later. Didnt' think anything when the tires lost pressure after that much time. The other tire is holding pressure just fine.

Thank you.

Z3c
08-29-2011, 01:22 PM
I would try sealant; typically for slow leaks it does the job.

Good luck!

TAW
08-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Are you using valve extenders?

thwart
08-29-2011, 01:28 PM
If you can remove the valve core, Stan's sealant works well.

If you don't have removable cores (like my Veloflex Carbons, for example) a quarter to half can of a Vittoria PitStop will work great. Still leaves enough for an on the road repair... as long as you have COČ cartridge or a pump.

leooooo
08-29-2011, 01:38 PM
I've heard people saying it may also depend on tire brand you use. Some use butyle tubes while others have latex.

OperaLover
08-29-2011, 01:47 PM
no valve extenders. It's a nice vittoria tire so its probably latex. I beleive the core can be removed. I will get some Stan's, unless there is something better.

Thank you.

redir
08-29-2011, 01:59 PM
I use Cafe Latex and it will certainly fix a hole like that. Good luck.

SPOKE
08-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Tighten the valve core a bit to see if that fixes the problem.

OperaLover
08-29-2011, 03:29 PM
I did check for tightness. I may try switching out the valve core, see if that is the problem. Or, check to see if there is some debris in the seal.

Germany_chris
08-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Stans is working for me..

Haven't had a flat in a couple years, switch to tubulars and 2 flats in as many months :confused:

Ken C
08-29-2011, 04:49 PM
There have been numerous posts (not here) about the new vitts leaking at the valve core. The solution was to apply some loctite and retighten.

I don't have any experience, but I am just passing along what I have read about.

cyclebencycling
08-29-2011, 04:57 PM
What my mechanic tells me is Tufo tubulars are about the only tyres sealant can be used. It is a true tubular and the inner tube materials in the other tyres will be broken down by the chemicals in the sealant. They are my preferred tubular tyre anyway so no brand loyalty dilemma for myself.

sean
08-29-2011, 05:00 PM
I don't think that's right.

I've used tufo sealant on other tires w/o issue.

Keep in mind that there are two versions. Yellow and Orange. Yellow is preventative. You put it in before you get a flat. Orange is for repairs, post flat.

Slow leak could be lots of things, buytl tubes are first that comes to mind. Preventative should fix that, it's not a true flat.

Germany_chris
08-29-2011, 05:02 PM
I have Tufo but you'd think it would be ok in most tires...

It's ok in most mountain bike tires...

I wonder though if thats like Tufo tape instructions saying it's only good for Tufo tires..

rustychain
08-29-2011, 05:51 PM
What my mechanic tells me is Tufo tubulars are about the only tyres sealant can be used. It is a true tubular and the inner tube materials in the other tyres will be broken down by the chemicals in the sealant. They are my preferred tubular tyre anyway so no brand loyalty dilemma for myself.
You need a new mechanic

sean
08-29-2011, 09:00 PM
I wonder though if thats like Tufo tape instructions saying it's only good for Tufo tires..

Works with non tufo too :)

the night owl
08-29-2011, 09:10 PM
I'd return the tire.

fjaws
08-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Don't think you'd have much luck trying to return a tire that's been glued.

Germany_chris
08-30-2011, 02:08 AM
Works with non tufo too :)

I Know..I just find lawyer speak fun..

saab2000
08-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Vittoria have removable valves. They seem to leak a lot. I was told to use the blue Loctite on the threads and this does seem to help.

merckx
08-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Did the tire leak when you inflated it before the mount? If it did not then you have a puncture. If it did not hold air, it is either defective, or you have a loose valve. If you have the new red valve, then you will need to remove it and apply thread locker.

oldpotatoe
08-30-2011, 07:30 AM
expensive. freshly glued. Slow leak. (loses pressure in 2 or three hours; less if ridning.) any suggestions on a quick fix. Tire sealant?

Hoped to post a glowing review of the ride. Instead had to call my wife to come pick me up less than 3 miles from home. Didn't want to put on the spare if this tire can be saved. Bummer!

Wanted to use tubies for the upcomig Grand Fondo Whistler. Brought my '98 Camoy Electrons out of retirement. Prestretechd the tires, but didn't check them until a week later. Didnt' think anything when the tires lost pressure after that much time. The other tire is holding pressure just fine.

Thank you.

Stans or CafeLatex..works well, either.

oldpotatoe
08-30-2011, 07:33 AM

Not true. Stans or CafeLatex works great for tubies with tubes, even for latex.
There was some drama about the ammonia in Stans and latex but it was always a teeny amount and has been reduced even more.

OperaLover
08-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Going to pick up some Stan's on the way home today. We'll give a full report on the repair. As pointed out the tubie was glued so no going back. Will pick up some Pitstop for on the road flat repair. Can't wait to do the ride from Vancouver BC to Whistler!

OperaLover
09-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Last night I put in a small bottle of Stan's. Weird how it actually sealed coming out of the bottle.. had to reopen the nozzle on the bottle . Got most of it in; things got a little messy. Pumped it up. Still holding pressure this morning.

Rode the wheels in to work. WOOOHOO! Loving the tubular ride. They spin up nice. Little faster and made a green llight I usually don't beat!

Picked up some pitstop for on the road repairs. Left it at home! DOH! Oh well, knock on some wood the ride home goes just as well.

Cheers to everyone who weighed in on this.

goonster
09-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I've used tufo sealant on other tires w/o issue.
Ah, but have you used non-Tufo sealant in Tufos?

OperaLover
09-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Tires are Vittoria, not Tufo.