PDA

View Full Version : Is the Garmin 800 worth it?

akelman
08-29-2011, 12:00 PM
I currently have a Garmin 500 and like it very much (no wires, accurate enough altimeter, no wires, reasonably small, no wires, can move between bikes seamlessly, and, best of all, no wires). Have I mentioned that it has no wires?

Anyway, I bought it to replace a Garmin 705, which, to be honest, I didn't like all that much. I mean, I liked having the maps, but I found the screen incredibly small, the unit waaaay too large for my tastes, and the controls somewhat difficult to use, especially while riding. Now, though, I'm wondering if the Garmin 800 is significantly better than the 705. Is there anyone out there who has had both? And if so, what are your thoughts? Thanks.

norcalbiker
08-29-2011, 12:08 PM
I have been thinking the same thing. I wanted to buy the 800 and give my 500 to wife. Wondering the same thing if the 800 is worth the money.

BTW, REI have it on sale.

sc53
08-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Not sure this will help, but I've seen the 800 in action on a couple of rides and it is super cool, small and full of information. To me it is easier to read and see details on than the 500 but your eyes may be better than mine.

akelman
08-29-2011, 12:11 PM
BTW, REI have it on sale.

Thanks, yes. I meant to include that information in my original post. Which is to say, this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=95685) prompted my question in the first place.

akelman
08-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Not sure this will help, but I've seen the 800 in action on a couple of rides and it is super cool, small and full of information. To me it is easier to read and see details on than the 500 but your eyes may be better than mine.

Thanks. That is helpful. Do you happen to know if the unit's shell is the same size as the 705? Or is it closer in size to the 500? Again, thanks.

oldguy00
08-29-2011, 12:14 PM
If you found the screen on the 705 too small, and the unit itself too big, then I doubt you'd like the 800. I think overall it is slightly bigger than the 705, no? And I've read some folks had trouble seeing the screen on the 800 in bright conditions..

wac0202
08-29-2011, 12:17 PM
I was thinking about getting a 500 (anyone selling?). It does watts, yes? what are the disadvantages?

firerescuefin
08-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Ari,

I purchased the 800 rather than the 500 and haven't look back. I neede one or the other to go with my wireless SRM. It's reasonable in size, touch screen, color, and displays a ton of info. I love mine, and don't regret not getting the 500. I have seen a few on here talking about glitches (which were addressed in the 2.01 update)....and glare...which I have never had issues with and I usually ride in the middle of the day. Don't think you'll be disappointed....but it is certainly a want (not a need) if you already have a 500.

weiwentg
08-29-2011, 12:21 PM
If you found the screen on the 705 too small, and the unit itself too big, then I doubt you'd like the 800. I think overall it is slightly bigger than the 705, no? And I've read some folks had trouble seeing the screen on the 800 in bright conditions..

I have a 705. The maps are too small to use on the fly on a bike. The maps can be useful if I'm in a new area, especially if I have some idea where I am, plus it does mark your start point. But the maps aren't usable as a car GPS on the fly, and I can't see how the 800 would be better.

djg21
08-29-2011, 12:24 PM

I've owned both the 705 and 800.

If size is an issue, the 800 is only marginally smaller. The displays are roughly the same, though the 800 has up to 10 available data fields per screen as opposed to 8, and 3 available pages of data as opposed to 2. When using less than 10 fields (I set mine at 8 or it becomes too cluttered), some of the fields are larger, taking up the full horizontal aspect of the screen. I keep my speed and power in the full-screen fields.

I found the map on the 705 easier to read (the yellow background was higher in contrast), but both are fine.

The touch screen is really slick, but takes some getting used to. It took me a few rides to realize that the first touch to the screen turns on the backlight, and two taps are often necessary to switch pages.

The 800 has a few extra pieces of data available -- for instance, temperature. On the third extra page of data, I have displayed. among other things, temperature, time of day, and sunset (which is nice to have as the days get shorter).

IMO, the best new feature of the 800 is the warning you get if you start to ride without starting the ride timer. With the 705, I too often forgot to start the timer until my ride was under way. I also really like the new mount, which is easier to use.

Finally, if you ever want the option of using a power meter, I'd suggest the 800, as the 800 firmware is being upgraded to allow seamless use of the new Garmin Vector pedal-based power meter (and already works with other ant+ power meters).

akelman
08-29-2011, 12:34 PM
I was thinking about getting a 500 (anyone selling?). It does watts, yes? what are the disadvantages?

I'll probably be selling mine, it seems. So, please feel free to send me a PM if you're interested.

akelman
08-29-2011, 12:38 PM
And thanks, everyone else. I appreciate it. Honestly, I'd like to have the maps. I sometimes ride off into the middle of nowhere and wouldn't mind having a trail of breadcrumbs to follow home. But because of a combination of factors -- see above -- the 705 didn't really work for me. If the 800's touch screen is pretty functional, meaning, if I can manipulate it while I'm riding, that's a huge step up. I'm willing to live with it being a bit too large. And actually, looking at dimensions, it does seem to be smaller than the 705: the 800 is 2 x 3.7 x 1; the 705 is 2 x x 4.3 x 1.

bocarider
08-29-2011, 12:43 PM
I tried one out and right away had issues as my polarized sunglass lenses caused the screen to go dark at certain angles. It happened enough in the course of the short try-out that I decided not to upgrade from my 795.

I don't have that issue with my 705.

layneo59
08-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Bought an 800 primarily for the GPS and maps--I like to ride in new places, don't like to have to continually pull out a map to review, and generally have a poor sense of direction.

In summary it works and keeps me from getting lost. If that is a primary use, I would highly recommend it.

eltonbalch
08-29-2011, 01:19 PM
If you are interested, Amazon has it (sold by heart rate monitors USA) for $499 with the heart rate monitor and speed sensor--a $150 savings. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPS-Enabled-Cycling-Computer-Monitor/dp/B0041O5X8K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314641036&sr=8-2

Blow out pricing like this may also mean a new model is in the works but if this one floats your boat, it's the cheapest I've seen. Only 13 left in stock as of right now.

I carefully considered this one but went with the 500 and I'm very happy with that choice. You can buy a $100 Garmin auto gps and carry that with you for the few times you might get lost. There are actually handlebar holders on the market for them. The 800 is a fun toy but not for me. YMMV.

onekgguy
08-29-2011, 01:43 PM
-- the 705 didn't really work for me. If the 800's touch screen is pretty functional, meaning, if I can manipulate it while I'm riding, that's a huge step up. I'm willing to live with it being a bit too large. And actually, looking at dimensions, it does seem to be smaller than the 705: the 800 is 2 x 3.7 x 1; the 705 is 2 x x 4.3 x 1.

I'm curious what you found difficult to use with your 705? I had a 305 for several years that I replaced with a 705 a couple years ago and I've been extremely happy with the unit and all its functionality. I really can't find anything bad to say about it.

I'm hesitant to even consider an 800. I've heard enough complaints about the screen resolution to keep me from getting too excited about it. Plus, I like my screen nice and clean with no smudges. Sticky fingers after too many gel packs out on the road would be too much for this fastidious user.

Kevin g

sc53
08-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks. That is helpful. Do you happen to know if the unit's shell is the same size as the 705? Or is it closer in size to the 500? Again, thanks.
Size is like the 500, small. Checked the website and the 500 measures 2 x2.7"; 800 measures 2 x 3.7'. It did not look cumbersome or oversized on the bike, like the 705 does.

csm
08-30-2011, 08:01 PM
not sure if it's worth it as I went from a wired trek matrix computer but so far I am grooving on the 800. I got the basic one with none of the sensors included as I have an hr strap and couldn't see the need for the speed and cadence sensors. the ride averages are pretty close to what another had on her computer last ride. I am going to get the sd card with the city maps and also downloading the terrain maps for off road use.

kramnnim
08-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Several people here and elsewhere have mentioned the use of open source maps as a viable alternative to the official Garmin ones...might be worth looking in to unless cost is no object.

dhoff
08-30-2011, 09:47 PM
I like the 800. HAve no complaints at all. I can see the screen, scroll through all of the functions, set things and do it day or night. Not a problem.

I would love for it to be about 1/2 the size and have 3 times the screen size, but that would be impossible.

tiretrax
08-30-2011, 09:54 PM
I would love for it to be about 1/2 the size and have 3 times the screen size, but that would be impossible.
Could it be possible if it were totally a touch screen?

What are the sources for open source maps?

kramnnim
08-30-2011, 10:20 PM
I don't even own a Garmin, much less one with maps, but this might be helpful... http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin

KF9YR
08-31-2011, 11:02 AM
I have the 500, 705 and 800 (actually I gave the 705 to my son when I bought the 800 and the 500 to my daughter since my son had a 705).

All 3 are great units if you just check out your heart rate and speed during the ride and look at the rest of the data after uploading to Garmin Connect, SportsTracks or Training Peaks, etc.

If you ride new routes or live in a city with winding streets, etc I prefer the map display of the 800 to the 705. I use the "auto" view where the map presents a "road through the windshield view".

I also really like having the temperature display. I live in AZ and just like to check out how absurdly hot it is sometimes during the summer. If it's above 105 I try to keep my heartrate in a lower zone so I don't wind up wiped out after a ride.

I use a matte screen protector that I liberated from an iPhone package and cut to size. This cuts out any glare/reflection problems but more importantly if the screen gets sweat or anything I don't worry about scratching it by wiping my gloves across it.

I feel the touch screen sensitivity is good. I don't use the little left/right buttons to change screens, I just swipe left or right to get to the screen I want as I find it easier since I don't have to look down and find the icons, I can just swipe across the middle of the screen.

These are all "want" reasons not "need" reasons so if I had to justify the purchase I would stick with the 500.

tiretrax
08-31-2011, 01:10 PM
I don't even own a Garmin, much less one with maps, but this might be helpful... http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin
Thanks!

moose8
09-01-2011, 09:45 PM
how does the 800 do at the navigating portion? I routinely get lost, and am bad with maps, especially when tired, so was wondering if the 800 would help much.