PDA

View Full Version : Tubular glue removal from carbon rims

BCS
08-28-2011, 03:04 PM
I have read a lot of opinions on the interweb about the topic but wanted to hear some of your recommendations. I just bought a pair of lightly used carbon wheels.

Should I:
Remove the glue or just glue on top of the old glue?

Is it OK to use a different type of glue than the original?

If removal is desired, Goof-off vs. Acetone vs. other solvent?

What type of scraping tools have you found to be most effective/safest on carbon rims? Someone suggested a popsicle stick

A1CKot
08-28-2011, 03:15 PM
I purchased a pair of used Reynolds that had half glue and half of that Tufo stuff. I used Goof-off, a heat gun, and a plastic knife to completely clean the rim. Only took like 20-30 minutes per rim so it wasn't too big of a deal.

If it was just glue and not super old I would have just glued over it. Also I've used Vittoria and Conti glue on the same rim with no problem.

firerescuefin
08-28-2011, 03:33 PM
I purchased a pair of used Reynolds that had half glue and half of that Tufo stuff. I used Goof-off, a heat gun, and a plastic knife to completely clean the rim. Only took like 20-30 minutes per rim so it wasn't too big of a deal.

If it was just glue and not super old I would have just glued over it. Also I've used Vittoria and Conti glue on the same rim with no problem.

+1 across the board. Asked a similar question of Old Potatoe (regarding the re-gluing) even with possible different brands (Conti/Mastik/Panaracer)...and he said no problem. I purchased some of the Panaracer on his recommendation. It works great, and it's in a can with the brush attached to the lid...Two thumbs up.

cmg
08-28-2011, 09:53 PM
i used acetone to remove old glue on a set of easton carbon rims. it's going to take alot of acetone to remove the glue. do it in a well vented area. kind of messy. i didn't want to add new glue over old glue and have any problems. besides i don't mind the process. didn't mind layering the new glue either.