PDA

View Full Version : OT-What's Everybody Doing During Irene

rdparadise
08-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Thought I'd open up a relevant thread regarding the crappy weather we are dealing with here in the east.

So, today I ran around and got a few things in preparation for the storm. Tonight, I cooked an outstanding pot roast in the oven, roasted some Yukon gold potatoes and had a feast for dinner.

I had taped and watched stage 5 of the US Pro race in Colorado. Schlek put on a nice show before being overtaken by the race leaders and peloton just before the finish.

Been roaming Facebook and the Forum for entertainment.

It seems every channel here in Philly is showing non-stop weather coverage. Gets a little much after about 10 minutes. All the sports scheduled to be broadcast on the major stations have gone to the weather. Of course Phillies swamped out tonight. I had tix, now for another day.

You?

Bob

rdparadise
08-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Posted this as my status on Facebook.You can use it if you'd like too. I stole from one of my FB friends.

URGENT: As Hurricane Irene prepares to batter the East Coast, federal disaster officials warned that Internet outages could force people to interact with other people for the first time in years. Residents brace themselves for the horror of awkward silences and unwanted eye contact. FEMA advised: “Be prepared. Write down possible topics to talk about in advance: sports, the weather. Remember, a conversation is basically a series of Facebook updates strung together".

Bob

Ps. thought it is hilarious so I'm sharing for the laughs.

pbbob
08-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Walked the dog 3 times in the rain. spent some time trying to figure out what to replace my campy square tape crank with. Its got a bad left crankarm. Still haven't made up my mind. watched the races and a lot of soccer.
Then watched the new episode of the doctor.
A long boring day.

BobbyJones
08-27-2011, 10:01 PM
twenty pounds of cubed ice, ninety-six ounces of ginger beer, one and three quarter litres of Goslings and unfortunately, only one lime.

Lemme flip this around: What do YOU think were doing?

Be safe everyone!

19wisconsin64
08-27-2011, 10:14 PM
....i've been using a pipe cutter to narrow my city bars to the width of the widest part of my body. 18 inches. a kind serotta forum member sold me a great frame last week which is now converted for around town usage.

i'm in lower manhattan, which was mostly evacuated...but my building is up sort of high, and we are not in a flood zone. i've been looking out the window quite a bit, wondering when the big winds will hit.

hopefully the hurricane will quickly slow down right now!

MerckxMad
08-27-2011, 10:50 PM
I took a pre-hurricane jaunt on my stylish new townie, a BD Windsor 3 speed, down to the local DD for a coffee and donut. Spent the evening watching storm coverage on tv, and now listening to the tree limbs and rain bounce off my roof. Need this storm to speed up and get out of here without flooding my family and friends' homes on the shore.

Louis
08-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Too bad we can't get a bit of that rain here in St Louis

In the last 30 day we've only had 1.2 inches of precip, and 0.5 of that was early in the month. The ground is bone dry, the plants are stressed big time, and the water level in my well is dropping to the point where I'm worried that it will go dry. And no rain in the forecast...

konstantkarma
08-28-2011, 02:10 AM
I headed out of town for Athens, Greece. As my wife has pointed out, everytime there is some natural disaster I am away for work. The weather here is beautiful. My wife and kids are sleeping in our basement rec room because of the wind and trees on our property in Maryland.

I feel a bit guilty :cool:

victoryfactory
08-28-2011, 05:02 AM
Got out for a nice ride Sat morning just before the rain started.

The factory always floods when we get big rain, as we are
in a low lying area of Queens.
So we are just waiting for the storm to pass and hoping the lights stay on.
Wind was not as bad as predicted, thankfully, but the rain is pretty big.

Downed trees always make driving the narrow streets of
the outer boroughs of NYC a major problem for days.
Will find out about that later...

William
08-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Looking at all the downed trees on the property (and waiting for more to come down :crap: ). Good thing I gassed and lubed the chainsaw yesterday.

William

jr59
08-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Sorry guys, I'm going for a bike ride and then an outdoor movie tonight!

No storm for us this time.

A lot of people would gladly welcome a big cat 1 storm here about now.
but we are use to that.
If we have 1 " of snow on the ground here, it shuts the city down. I guess it's all in what you are use to.

good luck all. be safe.

Gummee
08-28-2011, 09:25 AM
I went for a ride yesterday AM. Needed to do 30min of tempo.

Finished the 30min right as the rain started.

...and I was an hour away from home.

Oh well. That's what gore tex is for!

M

djg
08-28-2011, 10:41 AM
We did many of the panic-prep things we were warned to do in the DC area. And I stashed my M3 rag top. In the end, it was just no big deal in our neighborhood. We actually lost power for a couple of hours Friday morning -- in anticipation of high winds, I reckon -- but everything was back to normal in a few hours. I made fish chowder. The kids stayed up a bit late watching some terrible movie on TV.

I know that we were lucky -- others were hit hard and many, many are without power now. I hope that all of you are ok out there.

jwb96
08-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Brewing a batch of "Mock"toberfest . . . not enough time to make a real one, but can get pretty close with a good ale yeast. Will have to incorporate "Irene" into the name of it somehow . . .

itsflantastic
08-28-2011, 11:10 AM
strategically placing buckets under the leaks in my bedroom roof. thank goodness i'm just renting :)

Bud_E
08-28-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm just going to drink heavily and stay drunk throughout the whole thing... and I live on the West coast!

weiwentg
08-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Irene has passed in DC and it actually looks gorgeous out!

NHAero
08-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Went down to the beach on the south coast to gawk at the waves and get sandblasted, then came back and sharpened the chain saw chain just in case. We got much less rain than forecast, had some high winds with strong gusts but got off easy.

Gummee
08-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Irene has passed in DC and it actually looks gorgeous out!
Was out darn near 3 hours today south of Culpeper. You really couldn't tell that 'the biggest storm EVAR!' just came thru.

M

rugbysecondrow
08-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Still no power where I live, going on day two. Beautiful day out this afternoon, bike ride and run in, school closed for tomorrow as they also lack power so an extra day of summer vacation.

rdparadise
08-28-2011, 09:39 PM
My place of business is without power, but thankfully, a few months back I had all of our computers rewired to run off our generator in times like these. We are running 10 virtual servers on VMWare, I'm darn glad they are still running even if the plant is down.

No outages in my neighborhood, just a few blinks.

Bob