PDA

View Full Version : Flats

93legendti
08-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Today, I got my 2nd flat of the season-my 1rst was back in March. We have awful roads and I ride 6 days a week, so I'm pretty pleased that I haven't had more flats...(did I just jinx myself?).

How's your season gone vis a vis flats?

chuckroast
08-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Knock on wood, none yet this year.

Bruce K
08-27-2011, 07:18 PM
4 so far this year. :crap:

#1 - some small puncture but nothing in the tire or tube when inspected.

#2 - a pothole that no one pointed out. Hit it hard enough to launch my computer out of its mount but that was the only issue besides the tube.

#3 - a cyclocross flat on a training ride. Fortunately it happened as I rolled into the parking lot at the end of the ride.

#4 - a staple (construction grade)

Not the best season for flats.

BK

fiamme red
08-27-2011, 07:26 PM
4 so far this year. :crap:Doesn't sound too bad. I had four in two days a few weeks ago. So far, about 15 this year.

TAW
08-27-2011, 08:16 PM
I had one this summer on my Continental tubular. Vittoria Pit Stop sealed it up and I rode it happily until a few weeks ago when it was replaced because of wear. :)

93legendti
08-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Knock on wood, none yet this year.
could be, but I didn't shave today and I stepped over all lines in the road...I HOPE I didn't jinx myself

flydhest
08-27-2011, 09:10 PM
One this year.

Last year, slashed both sidewalls on a mile long gravel descent. Before realizing it, had 5 flats in 15 minutes. A teammate was redoing the front as I was doing the back. We both put in new tubes, inflated, blew out, repeated process, assuming it was something in the tire, did the sweep, repeat, pop. d'oh! The only flats of the year.

Andrewlcox
08-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Today I just got my first flat in 4000+ miles. I recently bought a patch kit at my LBS with glue and fixed it in 5 minutes. The patch worked great and then I rode 30 miles on it tonight.

Andy

false_Aest
08-27-2011, 09:31 PM
my grandmother never spoke about sex

i never speak about flats.

froze
08-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Today, I got my 2nd flat of the season-my 1rst was back in March. We have awful roads and I ride 6 days a week, so I'm pretty pleased that I haven't had more flats...(did I just jinx myself?).

Two flat since March isn't all that bad, this year I've been lucky so far and had no flats on the road, but one bike had a flat the next day after I rode it when I went to use it again. But I'm prepared for flats on the road so it's not a big deal if it does happen.

gasman
08-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Worst ,year, ever.
Since last Oct, 15 flats total on my commuter, my rain bike and my road bike.

Going back to Specialized Armadillo Elites to commute. Put an armadillo on the rear of my rain bike this winter after 4 flats from glass,stones and one staple. Hate the ride but no flats.

martinrjensen
08-27-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm just hoping I don't get a flat anytime soon. I just put some latex tubes on my AC 350 rims with Vittoria Open Pave CG's and it took me an hour to get them on. At lest I didn't puncture them putting them on.

R2D2
08-27-2011, 10:59 PM

They come in threes............

Louis
08-27-2011, 11:44 PM
My most recent flat was Thursday, and it was my fault.

About two weeks ago I was rushing to get started because I was going to meet a riding buddy. (We ride in opposite directions until we meet, then turn around and head back toward my house.) I'm on schedule and head out to the side room where I keep the daily driver. Check the tires to see if they need air, and the front is flat, flat, flat. At least it's not the back. I grab a spare tube, take off the wheel, etc. etc. and pump up the new tube. Then I realize that I forgot to check the tire for what caused the flat. I release the air, pop off one sidewall, and quickly run my fingers around inside the tire. Nothing. So I finish the job, and head out.

When I get back home I pump up the flat tube. It holds the air pretty well, but over a few hours looses pressure. I check the valve and the stem area, both are fine. So there's pinhole somewhere.

Fast-forward to this Thursday. I leave work early to get a ride in. Again, flat front tire. This time I get smart and remove the tire (it was a super-old Pro Race, that's right, just plain PR, no number - that's how old it was, but front tires seem to last forever for me) put another one on and a new tube.

When I get back I take the time to carefully check the old tire. Sure enough, I find a sharp point inside. It feels sharp enough to be a wire, but turns out to be a tiny stone that had cut through the tire and embedded itself far enough to cause a flat, but only after quite a bit of riding. I could have booted the tire and continued to use it, but decide that I've gotten enough use out of it.

Moral of the story, always check the tire very carefully, even if you are in a rush. If you can't find anything check it again.

soulspinner
08-28-2011, 05:40 AM

Ummmm ya, lets not go there.... :rolleyes:

93legendti
08-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Worst ,year, ever.
Since last Oct, 15 flats total on my commuter, my rain bike and my road bike.

Going back to Specialized Armadillo Elites to commute. Put an armadillo on the rear of my rain bike this winter after 4 flats from glass,stones and one staple. Hate the ride but no flats.
15 flats would have really frustrated me. What tires are on those 3 bikes?

gasman
08-28-2011, 02:47 PM
15 flats would have really frustrated me. What tires are on those 3 bikes?

Conti Gatorskins and ultra Gatorskins on the commuter-11 flats

PR2's (old) 1 flat on the road bike

Michelin Krylions-3 flats on the rain bike

A bad year, the worst far and away.

azrider
08-28-2011, 02:49 PM

i giggled

93legendti
08-28-2011, 04:04 PM

wow...I ride the ultras, krylions and pr2's...sorry for your bad luck.

Bud_E
08-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Flats are annoying but what I really hate is when you can't find the friggin little piece of wire or thorn that's embedded inside the tire somewhere and when you put in a new tube it's a matter of a few hundred miles of riding before the thing works a hole in the new tube and you go through 3 or 4 tubes until you just finally realize you just have to throw the tire away.

p.s. Yeah, you probably did jinx yourself. :rolleyes:

froze
08-28-2011, 06:19 PM

One poster was sorry for your bad luck yet I had the same luck as you with those same tires except for the Krylions which I've never tried. I swore I would never go back to Conti's again but then like an idiot I bought a set of GP4000s after when forum people said they were great...great at getting flats!!! I'll never waste my money again on Conti tires.

Jason E
08-28-2011, 06:26 PM
None for me in more than 2 years.

Just did the 115k of D2R2 on the Atlanta [Formerly Adams Atlanta] and still no flats. 25c at 80psi.

I am fortunate to do most of my miles on an exceptionally clean group of loops.

rustychain
08-28-2011, 07:56 PM
I had a flat two years ago. I hardly ever get flats. I ride 40 miles a day or more 5 to 6 days a week. I do hit deer and cars however so things even out :beer:

dlbracey
08-28-2011, 08:01 PM
I've had one this season, but I got lucky, made it home and it went flat right when I walked in the door.

gasman
08-28-2011, 08:35 PM
One poster was sorry for your bad luck yet I had the same luck as you with those same tires except for the Krylions which I've never tried. I swore I would never go back to Conti's again but then like an idiot I bought a set of GP4000s after when forum people said they were great...great at getting flats!!! I'll never waste my money again on Conti tires.

What's interesting is that I've had great luck with Gatorskins until this year with only rare flats riding year round. Go figure. Back to Dillos

93legendti
08-28-2011, 09:27 PM
What's interesting is that I've had great luck with Gatorskins until this year with only rare flats riding year round. Go figure. Back to Dillos
What psi are you running? I inflate my tires to the minimum suggested psi-especially the Ultra Gators.

weiwentg
08-28-2011, 10:09 PM
For the first time in my 10 years of riding, I got a sidewall cut from some debris. I thought I just had a regular flat, and couldn't find anything inside the tire. As I was reinflating it, I noticed the tube starting to bulge through the sidewall. Lucky I had a dollar note on me.

gasman
08-28-2011, 10:36 PM
What psi are you running? I inflate my tires to the minimum suggested psi-especially the Ultra Gators.

I run 25's with about 85-90 in the front and 90-95 in the rear. I only weigh about 163 but with winter gear on and a pack it's closer to 175 on the bike. Maybe it's too much but it hasn't been a problem till this last year. I'd

93legendti
08-29-2011, 06:47 AM
I run 25's with about 85-90 in the front and 90-95 in the rear. I only weigh about 163 but with winter gear on and a pack it's closer to 175 on the bike. Maybe it's too much but it hasn't been a problem till this last year. I'd
Interesting...I'm about 165 and I run the 25c Krylions at 73psi, the PR2's at 87psi and the UG's about 80-85psi (any higher and they feel like the tires are square). I guess it's not a psi issue-sounds like you had terrible luck-or you are riding 20,000 miles/year.

mjbyl
08-29-2011, 08:53 AM
4 flats and then a sidewall blowout - within less than two miles on a gravel road descent. Vittoria Cross Xg tires. Way too loose on the rim. I tried to patch one tube and found 5 snakebites in it.