PDA

View Full Version : 29er rigid forks.... thoughts?

William
08-27-2011, 05:32 PM
So I have a 29er to set up but I'm actually leaning toward rigid forks. Anyone riding rigid out there have any thought as to good options out there?

So far Niner carbon, White Bros Rock Solid, and DT Swiss look interesting to me.

William

Don49
08-27-2011, 05:58 PM
How about the On-One Race fork? http://twentynineinches.com/2011/02/21/on-one-race-rigid-fork-first-impressions/

mgd
08-27-2011, 06:13 PM
rigid big wheels sure run different than rigid 26 inch wheels. if money was no objet--that's french atmo--i'd get an igleheart or waltworks wicked cool fork. otherwise, the vicious, niner and surly steel forks are out there and should be fine.

that huge niner carbon fork looks weird to me. i'm sure it's very nice.

Jack Brunk
08-27-2011, 06:20 PM
My rigid is a Black Sheep Faith fork made out of titanium which is a fantastic material for a off road rigid fork. If it were up to me I'd go with a Niner carbon fork over anything else. I've talked to a lot of guys who race/ride them and their totally happy with the performance. My next bike will probably be steel with a Niner carbon fork. A Zanc?

William
08-27-2011, 09:16 PM
That Faith Fork from Black Sheep is really nice and I like the aesthetics, but it's out of my bike budget. At this point I'm leaning toward a Niner carbon. I like the looks and have seen good write ups around the web. A Niner on a Zanc would go well with my Zanc Crosser....a winner for sure. ;)

The On-One Race fork (if I read that correctly) only fits the On-One carbon frame.

The igleheart or waltworks would be good choices though I'm thinking of going against my long standing carbon fork aversion on this build. :)

William

Steve in SLO
08-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Niner carbon. Everyone else is playing catch-up.

oldpotatoe
08-28-2011, 07:51 AM
So I have a 29er to set up but I'm actually leaning toward rigid forks. Anyone riding rigid out there have any thought as to good options out there?

William

If the frame is for suspension, make sure the fork is 'suspension corrected' or the handling will be 'off'.

William
08-28-2011, 09:09 AM
If the frame is for suspension, make sure the fork is 'suspension corrected' or the handling will be 'off'.

Thanks for the advice, it certainly saved me a possible headache down the road! :cool:

The fork that this NOS frame originally came with was a "Rock Shox Tora Race 29er, 80mm, 32mm Cr-Mo stanchions, magnesium lower, Solo Air spring w/ Motion Control damper, LO and rebound adj., disc only".

William

floxy1
08-28-2011, 06:25 PM
I rode the Niner carbon fork for a while and really liked it. With a high volume front tire like the Racing Ralph 2.4 it had a surprizing amount of compliance. I think the rigid fork really shines on a SS where you're constantly out of the saddle.