PDA

View Full Version : New Schmidt Son28 hub coming in Nov.

d.vader123
08-27-2011, 05:18 PM
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt.asp

One question I had was about the Son28 and the Son20R aka Sondelux. What is the difference between the two? I'm using 700c x 32 wheels.

How do I know which Son hub to get?

BobbyJones
08-27-2011, 05:29 PM
You could always contact Peter...or just read a bit more :) :

The hub is suitable for use on tandems as well as single bikes, but not with the very low spoke count versions. The version for 26" through 27" rims is the SON28. I also stock a version for 16" and 20" rims called the SON20, and the new SON20R.

d.vader123
08-27-2011, 05:30 PM
You could always contact Peter...or just read a bit more :) :Thanks. Saw that quote, but wasn't sure how to measure rim size or know which was for me.

-Ashamed poster =)

R2D2
08-27-2011, 06:22 PM
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt.asp

One question I had was about the Son28 and the Son20R aka Sondelux. What is the difference between the two? I'm using 700c x 32 wheels.

How do I know which Son hub to get?
The Son28 was originally desinged for lager wheels and the Sondelux for smaller rims. But with the advent of LED lights the Sondelux can be used on the lager wheels and is lighter and has less drag. Now if you went back to Halogen bulbs the Sondelux does not put out enough juice at low speeds and therefore is dark a low mph. If you plan to use the hub to charge other things during daylight the Son28 is still the way to go. But many riders just want light and less weight and drag.
I hope that explains the basics.

d.vader123
08-27-2011, 06:30 PM
The Son28 was originally desinged for lager wheels and the Sondelux for smaller rims. But with the advent of LED lights the Sondelux can be used on the lager wheels and is lighter and has less drag. Now if you went back to Halogen bulbs the Sondelux does not put out enough juice at low speeds and therefore is dark a low mph. If you plan to use the hub to charge other things during daylight the Son28 is still the way to go. But many riders just want light and less weight and drag.
I hope that explains the basics.Thank you. It does explain it. I guess the new Son28 will offer the best of both worlds. It is going to be lighter and with less drag than the Son20R/Sondelux and made specifically larger wheels.

R2D2
08-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Thank you. It does explain it. I guess the new Son28 will offer the best of both worlds. It is going to be lighter and with less drag than the Son20R/Sondelux and made specifically larger wheels.

Yes. Peace out................