PDA

View Full Version : Hhh 100

1happygirl
08-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Unable to do as parent(s) sick. I posted here as heard start times were adjusted due to heat.

Anyone who did was it really hot?! Any photos? Good turnout?

Thanks in advance.

tiretrax
08-27-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm sure it was hot - mid 80's at start time in Dallas, 107 will be the high.

Sorry to hear about your parents.

Birddog
08-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Hot but not as hot as some. 13,500 plus riders, many started early as organizers suggested.

steampunk
08-27-2011, 05:17 PM
I don't really relish the thought of driving hours to do HHH. Group of friends got together and we did our own homebrew ride in Austin. It was hilly, really hot, and at least I managed a hundred K and change. Garmin unit said 79F (around 7am), and 115F max.

tiretrax
08-27-2011, 08:55 PM
I don't really relish the thought of driving hours to do HHH. Group of friends got together and we did our own homebrew ride in Austin. It was hilly, really hot, and at least I managed a hundred K and change. Garmin unit said 79F (around 7am), and 115F max.

Did you ride the Hugel route? Any word on an event this year? I emailed but got no reply.

Birddog
08-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Apparently I've grown accustomed to the heat this summer as the official word was that this was the hottest hhh ever @ 109*. Hell's gate was closed about an hour earlier than normal.

steampunk
08-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Did you ride the Hugel route? Any word on an event this year? I emailed but got no reply.

No, we did the Dam Loop then added a jaunt up N Parmer towards Cedar Park/Leander.

I am going by the assumption that das Hugel is still on this year, same general time and route. But I have not heard anything official either. That one is on my to-do list too.

pmac
08-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Apparently I've grown accustomed to the heat this summer as the official word was that this was the hottest hhh ever @ 109*. Hell's gate was closed about an hour earlier than normal.

Where did you find the official word? It sure seemed hot near the end (just before noon for me) but still not quite as hot as my late afternoon rides in Austin. Also, it didn't seem nearly as bad as the time a few years ago when they closed it early, but maybe starting early made all the difference.

Birddog
08-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Where did you find the official word? It sure seemed hot near the end (just before noon for me) but still not quite as hot as my late afternoon rides in Austin. Also, it didn't seem nearly as bad as the time a few years ago when they closed it early, but maybe starting early made all the difference
That info came from the local TV news last night and again in this AM's paper.
The temp at the start was 76* (not sure if that was at 6:15 or 7:05). I agree that it wasn't as bad as 2 years ago (at least i think it was 2 years ago) when the temps at the start were about 85* and it hit 100* very early in the day. That's the year the triage was over run and they ran out of ice at some rest stops. I'm sure the organizers had that in mind when they urged people to start early this year knowing it was gonna be hot.

Saw on another forum where people were saying they closed the entire course a 2PM and forced riders to sag in. The poster was at mile 85. It makes sense, if they had been out there for 7 hours, they needed to get in SAP.

Hell's Gate is not closed at any particular time as many people think. They close it based on a formula using the temp and how fast it is rising to determine when to shut it down.

tiretrax
08-29-2011, 09:32 AM
It probably didn't seem as bad because the humidity has been relatively low. The high pressure system is moving to the East, so the humidity is rising as the circular flow brings in moisture from the Gulf, along with some rain.

The low humidity has been the one bright spot of this horrible summer. I've lost lots of landscape in my yard. I can't seem to water enough because the soil temperature is so high.

godfrey1112000
08-29-2011, 03:30 PM
the early start helped although 30 minutes in darkness was no fun with hundreds of bikes around you

lots of big packs that seemed to work together for a change it was nice

It really did not get hot until the last hour,
1030-1130

finished at 1120 with a 5h05m total time with one stop for water and the Restroom,

the wind was supposed to be out of the east but it did help us for the first 90 miles and was a slight pain from the NNW,

the Beer Garden turn at mile 98 was busy as usual, they were handing out cups of beer to riders :beer:

Left for home at 115pm and still saw troopers marching in on the short leg

did not see any crashes and the expo was just ok, at least they got rid of the stuff from 2009 that they tried to resell in 2010, prices were moderate to higher than usual, weak dollar

Please Note #459, tell Peter in Boulder he owes me
also everyone love the jersey especially the hot chicks as they are smoking by me :D

malcolm
08-29-2011, 04:08 PM
6:15 start was great. I saw fewer crashes than usual. I've done it every year since the 25th aniversary, this was the 30th. While very hot 108 by the end of the day is what I heard I didn't think it was as bad as the 25th when it was only 106 and they closed hell's gate an hour and a half early due to heat/humidity. My group also thought the expo was weaker with fewer vendors than prior years. Prices were still good though.

It is an interesting ride horrible scenery and miserable conditions but very compelling and the people of the area are great. I didn't hear anything about the course closing early but maybe we were all finished by then.

jmoore
08-29-2011, 05:05 PM
I can ride in the heat without dodging 13.5k other riders and paying triple rate for the crappy hotel room. But I hope everyone who did ride had fun and arrived back home safely.