PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

Dlevy05
08-27-2011, 01:39 PM
At the end of the day, it's only a category 1. High winds, 8-12 inches of rain. So, what's the big deal?

Hurricanes much stronger than this one hit florida all the time, but Miami beach doesn't evacuate everyone, people just deal with it...

How is this any different? Why should flights be cancelled before the storm hits, shouldn't they try to move as many people before as possible?

This just doesn't make any sense to me. Someone please explain...

bart998
08-27-2011, 03:42 PM
At the end of the day, it's only a category 1. High winds, 8-12 inches of rain. So, what's the big deal?

Hurricanes much stronger than this one hit florida all the time, but Miami beach doesn't evacuate everyone, people just deal with it...

How is this any different? Why should flights be cancelled before the storm hits, shouldn't they try to move as many people before as possible?

Same as with the earthquake last week. Californians are still laughing over that one. NYC is the media center so to them it's the center of the universe. No where else matters. (Yawn) guess I'll watch a video because CNN is all-Irene, all-the-time. I guess there is nothing else in the world going on.

Dekonick
08-27-2011, 03:55 PM
The difference is that the Chesapeake Bay will end up (because of the north east winds) collecting water from the ocean and will flood all of the low area's along the Bay - that and we have different trees than in Florida - I dont remember seeing many Oak, Tulip Poplar, Maple, and other 100+ foot high trees that will fall over and absolutely smash a home to smithereens. Also - I believe most electric lines in Fla are buried... not so in much of the East. It has more to do with trees being blown over after 10" of rain... taking out houses and power lines. Folks will be without power for days to weeks. In Fla, your building codes are different as well... same for CA... It makes a difference.

It is being made into a bigger deal than it needs to be... but it will still have a significant cost from damage.

Can't compare Fla or Ca to the NE. How would Florida deal with 2 feet of snow? 3" would shut the state down. Same for CA.

Stupid comparison.

rwsaunders
08-27-2011, 04:10 PM

There's an election coming and nobody wants another "Katrina"...this time with 65 million people. Note that all of the VIP's are parked at FEMA HQ.

One of my all time favorite quotes paraphrased from Samuel Clemens..."Everybody complains about the weather but nobody does anything about it."

Ralph
08-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Living in Florida, we are used to dealing with hurricanes. And we don't live near the water....so no flooding for us....we just lose our roof if they are real bad. I've got 30 extremely tall mature live oak trees in our yard, and keep them trimmed so wind can blow thru them....and they don't wind up on our roof.

And while the storms aren't usually as bad as predicted, the media loves to play these up....it only takes one to kill you. One that does something unexpected. So we have a healthy respect for these storms and get out of here usually when one approaches....even a cat 1.

spdcyclist
08-27-2011, 05:03 PM
I think NJ, NY and Long Island are doing the right thing by being prepared. Weather is not very predictable. I'm sure that if it turns out to be weaker than expected there will be a lot of complaining.... Then again if the state town and cities didn't prepare, and the storm was a Cat 1 or higher, I'm sure there would have been a lot more complaining.

As for the filghts, a lot of flights get cancelled because the equipment (planes) are stuck at another part of the country due to the weather. My son got to Florida today with no problem. He just caught an earlier flight.

I rode this morning it rained ... flet like a kid again. :)

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-27-2011, 06:07 PM
I think Bloomberg's over-reaction (IMO) to this is to somehow make up for his zero-reaction to the Xmas blizzard. Response (or lack thereof) to bad weather/natural disasters makes or breaks politicians.

R2D2
08-27-2011, 06:14 PM
IF it moves very slowly then it could dump a lot of water etc...
I think it is somewhat over hyped at this point.

fiamme red
08-27-2011, 06:18 PM
I think Bloomberg's over-reaction (IMO) to this is to somehow make up for his zero-reaction to the Xmas blizzard. Response (or lack thereof) to bad weather/natural disasters makes or breaks politicians.I agree that it's a massive over-reaction, to make up for not declaring a snow emergency on Christmas weekend. Again, it's a sign of how removed he is from the little people. He said today that it's no big deal, since you could just hitchhike or hail a cop car.

Shutting down the entire MTA at noon, when it wasn't even raining yet? The storm wasn't even forecast to arrive until the evening.

MerckxMad
08-27-2011, 06:23 PM
The difference between a storm hitting Miami Beach and one hitting NYC is about eight million people, give or take. Oh, and half a million people living at sea level along the south shore of Long Island. I hope it's a big nothing. Good luck to everyone from NC to MA during the storm.

parris
08-27-2011, 06:30 PM
I have to wonder how much of the drama associated with weather events over the last 20 years are due at least in part to things like the weather channel? When many of us were kids we got the weather forecast on the evening news, newspaper, and radio. It wasn't a 24/7 deal where the personalities felt the need to add commentary in order to keep viewership up.

I'm not saying this is the whole reason but it has to at least be a small part of "the sky is falling" aspect that we seem to see with any kind of heavy weather event.

CunegoFan
08-27-2011, 06:51 PM
I have to wonder how much of the drama associated with weather events over the last 20 years are due at least in part to things like the weather channel? When many of us were kids we got the weather forecast on the evening news, newspaper, and radio. It wasn't a 24/7 deal where the personalities felt the need to add commentary in order to keep viewership up.

I'm not saying this is the whole reason but it has to at least be a small part of "the sky is falling" aspect that we seem to see with any kind of heavy weather event.
This.

Natural disasters are big business these days. The media loves them. Wall to wall coverage and people love watching. The media people do cartwheels in the hallways every time there is an impending weather event. Some stations probably have contracts with native american tribes to do regular rain dances.

jr59
08-27-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm glad they did! Error on the side of caution.

Is it like the city of Atl.Ga shutting down for two days, with 1" of snow?

tiretrax
08-27-2011, 08:53 PM
As someone who spent a year after Hurricane Ike helping the communities in their efforts to clean up and rebuild, I can affirmatively say that they are nothing to take for granted. Ike was a Category 2 but had a Category 4 storm surge. People took for granted that it was of low intensity and that the last Cat 2 storm (24 years prior) did little damage. Over 100 people died because their homes were swept away. It wiped out over 4000 of the 6000 buildings on the Bolivar Peninsula in Galveston County. The were washed anywhere from 1 to 30 miles inland. It ended up being the third costliest disaster in the U.S. (Katrina is #1, so far).

Yes, the news media hypes these things. There was a tropical storm that came to Corpus Christi in early July. It was supposed to rain for days and have a high storm surge. It fizzled out when it hit land; only 1" of rain fell. There were reporters down there for days prior. Weather channel bozos go to the worst places and risk themselves for camera time. During Katrina, a reporter took a hit from a fallen limb; fortunately, the person only had minor injuries.

They are nothing to take lightly. For those of you living in inland Florida, the risk is lower than the coast. But, don't be foolish and think that they are overhyped. Just ask the families of the 3,000 souls lost in Katrina.

Many of my colleagues in Mississippi stayed in their homes because they lived in the "highest area" along the coast and because Camille, a Cat 4, did little damage to the coast (and did none in their neighborhoods. Some had to go into their attics and through the roof, some climbed through windows and clung to trees. Fortunately for them, all survived. Their houses were totalled.

Better to take precautions, including evacuation, than foolishly perish. Just think back to the Parkay commercials with Mother Nature. I never wish to encounter her rath.

rdparadise
08-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Well, so far 8 people have lost their lives, tell their loved ones ii's no big deal?

75% of Richmond, VA is without power right now.

Due to the extreme and record rainfall already in August, the added 6-10 inches of rain and 50+ MPH winds will easily knock trees down and take the power lines with them, killing the power to many homes. I'm sure more homes will receive the blow of a tree or two as well, hopefully without anyone inside being hurt.

I know Irene is now category 1 which doesn't sound bad, however the wind and rain will be just too much for many places. Stay tuned for the real damage estimates once it's all said and done.

Regards,

Bob

Ps. My development has underground electric. While writing the note, my lights blinked 3 times. It may not be long now for my power to go out. I was hoping for after midnight if at all. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

wc1934
08-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Mother nature
6-12 inches of rain plus 75 mph winds seems like a big deal to me - in addition, one report that stated that over a half a million people are without power, and it is only going to get worse.
NYC and Boston shut down their subways fearing that the rains/floods could damage the electrical systems.

mjb266
08-27-2011, 10:15 PM
This got me all riled up, but I need to remember not to feed trolls on the interwebs. Good luck to those in the way of this one and lets hope there aren't many more this year.

Big weather should never be effed with. What does it really take to inconvienence people for a day or two just to be cautious? Maybe some don't go out on a Saturday night, maybe some have to spend $50 on a gallon of gas. I'll bet that the parents of tbat kid killed by a falling tree would do anything right now to have their child back. Get out of the storm's way and come back to rebuild. Same for blizzards, tornados, tsunami, etc.

rice rocket
08-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Couple tornadoes reported in Jersey and Delaware too. Stay safe!