PDA

View Full Version : OT Juice Fasting

firerescuefin
08-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Turn 38 in October...Was very disciplined about diet in my 20's. My high level of activity has kept me slim, but my eating is just not very good and with 2 kiddos and a busy schedule, I don't eat with a purpose (much)...but out of convenience. Was looking at starting the turn around with a 10-14 day juice fast. I have been doing quite a bit of research. Anybody on the forum done this and what level of activity were you able to sustain during it...and how did you feel during/after.

Thanks,

Geoff

echelon_john
08-27-2011, 10:40 AM
I did "Clean" over the winter. Definitely worked; felt great at the end, lost some weight and used it to jumpstart some longer term dietary changes (quit coffee, cut way down on pasta/bread).

The first few days were difficult but not terrible; by the 3rd week (of 3) it felt pretty natural. I think doing the shake/juice/soup for dinner definitely does take the work of digesting off your body so sleep becomes more restful.

And my energy level was much more consistent doing the cleanse; no afternoon lull/crash.

Tough to do a lot of riding while doing it though; I'd recommend doing easier, shorter rides to keep some aerobic fitness but not planning on heavy training during a fast/cleanse.

Hope this helps,
John

cmg
08-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Currently there are 2 of my club members that are on juice diets. one was a vegan, she's at this weekends Hotter than Hell, whichita falls. the main problem according to them is protein intake. both drink a shake for breakfast, lunch and a meal for dinner. activity level didn't really change, the non-vegan complains about cravings but he has lost weight.

John H.
08-27-2011, 11:09 AM
No need to do a juice fast.
Just start eating with a purpose and clean up diet.
Stop eating packaged foods as much as possible.
Eat protein and fat at evey meal (good fats like olive oil, nuts or nut butter).
Eat lots of vegetables. Most people say fruit too- but I am not a fruit fan.
Try eating wheat free- I know it is the buzz right now but rice, other whole grains like millet, quinoa, buckwheat are good, brown rice sweet potatoes.
Consider replacing high glycemic carbs with beans/legumes. They are nutritious, filling and work great.

Fixed
08-27-2011, 11:38 AM
keep at it don't give up ...
eat when hungry not because it is breakfast , lunch or dinner ..
cheers

rugbysecondrow
08-27-2011, 12:34 PM
I bought the Vitamix and have not done a full cleansing, but have my morning smoothy (typically fruit and veggies). I like the smoothie more than just juice because of the fiber. Doing this has helped me be more disciplined throughout the day. I actually started paying attention to meals, foods etc. It is not a weight loss thing, but my body react negatively to ???? food now that I just shouldn't do it. I actually feel hungover from eating now...not a pleasant feeling.

I have an appointment with a nutritionist (covered by insurance) as I want to make changes, but want to know how to do it. Lots of cool ideas, but not sure what is good or not for me. My wife is going as well as we both could use some help. What is hard is that each of us have very different caloric needs, but neither of us know what those are. It is like setting a financial budget without knowing what your expenses are...not very effective.

Best of luck!

Ralph
08-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Any science behind doing that? Personally, I don't see the point.

Juice.....you mean sugar and water.....not good for you. I understand that's not what you do.

If you mean fasting a while, mostly veggie juce.....understand that. Water would probably do same for a while.

Still think idea of de toxing a myth. But even Dr Oz has a de tox diet.

I still prefer to follow advice of Dr Gabe Mirkin.

http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/8539.html

flydhest
08-27-2011, 08:10 PM
So, did something along these lines when the wife started going to a personal trainer. As Ralph alluded to, I assume you're talking about vegetable juice, not fruit juice.

The link that Ralph put up needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It is an appeal against supplements. The valid/useful "cleanses" from my perspective are all about the food you eat and don't eat, not about supplements.

The cleanse/detox/whatever works . . . sort of. You could call it something else. Our approach was juice at least twice a day. Salad at least twice a day. For some reason that I haven't fully apprehended, Greek-style yogurt was in, regular not so much. Perhaps straining out the whey matters, dunno. Raw fish was also in, no other animal protein. No coffee, no alcohol.

From my perspective, the benefits were from a lot more raw vegetables and food that is easier to digest. Is that "cleansing"? I don't really care what it gets called. The theory, such as it is, is that doing so helps out the liver making it easier to metabolize fat. The logic behind Atkins was the glycemic index, and that part has gained respect in some areas.

Of course, if you are restricting your diet to that, even letting yourself eat as much as you want, I was just consuming fewer calories. The no alcohol affected my caloric intake significantly. The extra fiber meant . . . errr, better evacuation drills than the eastern seaboard is seeing ahead of Irene.

Net weight loss, energy higher, no noticeable effect on my cycling. Despite the advice, I kept doing intense interval workouts and I was fine.

Rugby's smoothie with the extra fiber seems like a good way to go. I am hooked on vegetable juice, however. There is soluble and insoluble fibre. Juice only has the former, the smoothie would have both. Insoluble fiber helps a lot with the evacuation drill and with lots of other things. The fact that we upped our intake of raw veggies in addition to the juice meant that we were not neglecting insoluble fiber.

Kale chips, the raw, dehydrated ones have become addictive, as well, but they are pricey.

A1CKot
08-27-2011, 09:13 PM
I saw Fat Sick and Nearly Dead (http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/) on Netflix and I am still thinking about giving the juice fast a try. The film really got me thinking about my eating habits and the way I feel. I'm by no means over weight and I'm still young, 22, but this seems more like a life style choice than just a way to lose weight. Maybe something to try while I'm still on leave.

toaster
08-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Nobody needs to fast, IMHO. You can accomplish the same goals with moderation.

BCS
08-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Any science behind doing that? Personally, I don't see the point.

Still think idea of de toxing a myth.

http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/8539.html

It is total BS. The liver and kidneys take care of "detoxing" for us.

flydhest
08-28-2011, 10:19 AM
It is total BS. The liver and kidneys take care of "detoxing" for us.

Care to explain with scientific evidence? Clearly, the liver and kidneys eliminate waste and toxins. It is also known that ingesting various toxins can damage those organs. Think cirrhosis. What is the basis for your statement?

BCS
08-28-2011, 12:48 PM
The basis of my evidence other than my medical degree and 12 years of medical practice?? My "evidence" is the utter lack of any credible information/randomized clinical trials in peer reviewed journals, supporting the use of "cleansing" diets.

One fad that I have seen in my field is the use of chelation to detoxify coronary arteries. It became so prevalent that the mainstream scientific community actually put it under rigorous trial...no benefit.

Not quite sure about your statement of ingesting toxins and organ damage. Are you implying that we all have low level organ toxicity that is below the threshold of detection and that a juice diet rectifies this?

As a practitioner of Evidence Based Medicine, IMHO, the burden of proof lies with the proponents of the diets/cleanses before I become a believer.

Eating more vegetables, less animal protein and more fiber and avoidance of overly processed foods is clearly a sensible diet that we all should follow. There is some crazy misinformation out there-a number of my wife's friends did a cleansing diet using maple syrup and Cayenne pepper for a week. Yum

firerescuefin
08-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Started the fast yesterday. Fresh fruit and vegetable juice fast hardly seems like maple syrup and cayenne peppers. Herbs like milk thistle have long been accepted as natural detoxificants/providing liver support. It makes sense to me that different foods have different nutrient profiles, and therefore different properties. There are plenty of dieticians and MDs that disagree with you, and I know many elite/professional athletes that have had very positive experiences. As a person of reasonable intelligence, it seems to make sense to me. Enough so, that I am trying it. The downside seems minimal. My original post asked for those that have done it and had experience with it (good or bad). I am still interested to hear from those people.

BCS
08-28-2011, 01:49 PM
There are plenty of dieticians and MDs that disagree with you, and I know many elite/professional athletes that have had very positive experiences.

A few things I have learned:

The plural of ANECDOTE does not equal DATA

Medical advice over the internet, mine included is dubious at best.

Good luck with the diet. I look forward to reading about your experience. I am skeptical but not close-minded :beer:

echelon_john
08-28-2011, 02:28 PM
I think that, beyond any potential medical benefit, one aspect of fasting/cleansing that appealed to me was the chance to 'reset' my behaviors, and also my taste for many foods. When I did a juice/smoothie cleanse over the winter, I was doing a smoothie or homemade soup for breakfast and dinner, and a light lunch mostly with chicken as the protein, and lots of vegetables.

As I reintegrated other foods at the end of the cleanse, it was amazing how rich and filling many items felt, which prior to the fast hadn't felt particularly so. In my case, using the cleanse/fast as a springboard to better/healthier diet was probably its main benefit. It also helped with digestion, eliminating any irritable bowel symptoms that I'd lived with for a while, and made me sleep better.

Data set of one, I know, but I guess my point is that these were all benefits in my experience, even if I didn't do diddly-squat to improve my liver function, etc. If one approaches something like this from an informed, rational perspective (i.e. getting enough nutrition to be safe, hydrating well, continuing moderate exercise) I just don't see any downside. Is fasting/cleansing a miracle cure? Heck no. But sometimes making a big change is easier to embrace than making lots of small changes, because we get very stuck in our routines. Hitting the reset button on eating once in a while is, I believe, a very healthy thing to do.

YMMV, and I'm sure it will! :banana:

Cheers,
John

azrider
08-28-2011, 02:41 PM
I was blessed with a metabolism that has kept me within 10lbs of 180 my whole life and being 6'2" i've always been considered lean. As a bachelor my diet consists mostly of frozen pizzas (seriously 3-4 nights week) and sometimes pint of ice cream (2-3 nights week). Couple of months ago a local tri guy (who can kill it on the bike) introduced me to dude named Rich Roll. Type his name into google and you'll find him.

Dude decided at the age of 40 that he wanted to get his shyte together and get back in shape and became full on plant based, no animal product, vegan and can still kill it on the bike (does mostly tri's). But reading his blog and background story i'm amazed at what this guy is doing and light he is shedding on benefits to becoming if not full vegan, but cutting down on the amount of animal products in your diet.

I decided i'd give it a try for a couple of weeks and i'm stunned at how much better I feel, better sleep, better recovery, better performance....but mostly just not being as lethargic all time. The next step is to try and introduce these bad boys into my shakes.

killacks
08-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Everything in moderation ...just don't be too moderate in your moderation ;)

flydhest
08-28-2011, 07:17 PM
The basis of my evidence other than my medical degree and 12 years of medical practice?? My "evidence" is the utter lack of any credible information/randomized clinical trials in peer reviewed journals, supporting the use of "cleansing" diets.

One fad that I have seen in my field is the use of chelation to detoxify coronary arteries. It became so prevalent that the mainstream scientific community actually put it under rigorous trial...no benefit.

Not quite sure about your statement of ingesting toxins and organ damage. Are you implying that we all have low level organ toxicity that is below the threshold of detection and that a juice diet rectifies this?

As a practitioner of Evidence Based Medicine, IMHO, the burden of proof lies with the proponents of the diets/cleanses before I become a believer.

Eating more vegetables, less animal protein and more fiber and avoidance of overly processed foods is clearly a sensible diet that we all should follow. There is some crazy misinformation out there-a number of my wife's friends did a cleansing diet using maple syrup and Cayenne pepper for a week. Yum

Thanks. Good to know that the response wasn't actually based on any fact.

BCS
08-28-2011, 07:33 PM
I don't mean to be confrontational but here is no credible evidence to support detox. If you want to do it, go for it and share your experiences with us. If it makes you feel healthy, who am I to judge.

Debunking Detox Diets
Designed to rid the body of toxins and jumpstart weight loss, detox diets have become increasingly trendy in recent years. Here, a USC expert shares the skinny on this popular approach to achieving a better body.

by Carrie St. Michel

"There is no upside to these diets."

Without missing a beat, Roger Clemens, Dr.P.H., adjunct professor of pharmacology and pharmaceutical sciences at the USC School of Pharmacy, offers this unflinching assessment when asked about the benefits of detox diets.

While growing numbers of consumers have been clamoring for these concoctions—sales of herbal detoxing products alone netted more than $28 million last year—Clemens counters, "These approaches are contrary to scientific consensus as well as medical evidence and are not consistent with the principle that diets should reflect balance, moderation and variety."

Detox diets generally feature none of the above. While specific regimen requirements vary, most detox diets share a common theme of extremely low-calorie, primarily liquid meals. Some, for example, advise users to consume only specially formulated drinks or raw foods, while others require cutting out carbs, sweets and proteins for a specified period—anywhere from a few days to an entire month.

Topping the detox diet popularity list is Master Cleanse. The most searched for recipe on Google.com last year, Master Cleanse's centerpiece beverage unites the seemingly unpalatable combination of lemon juice, maple syrup, water and cayenne pepper.

According to detox devotees, the payoff for slurping down such unconventional potions is a body flushed free of toxins derived from pollution, cigarette smoke, alcohol, caffeine and processed foods. Regimen followers claim to reap additional rewards in the form of improved health, more luminous skin and a svelte silhouette.

According to Clemens, however, there's just one little hitch: "There is absolutely no clinical or scientific data that supports any of these claims. No such data has even been submitted to the Food and Drug Administration."

While Clemens concedes that weight loss may well result, given that those detoxing are probably expending more calories than they're consuming, it's likely that pounds lost will return once the regimen is abandoned.

Other claims made by detox-diet fans are equally misleading. For example, many report feeling less bloated; that's simply because they're eating less food. Those who testify to glowing skin are experiencing the benefits of improved hydration rather than detoxification. As for detox enthusiasts who report a reduction in headaches, chances are the improved cranial condition can be traced to decreased consumption of alcohol and caffeine.

Clemens' overriding concern, however, is that detox diets can be downright dangerous.

"The biggest danger is nutrient insufficiency from protracted starvation," he explains. "Americans have a tendency to believe that if some is good, then more is better. This is a very dangerous mindset," he adds, "when it comes to these types of diets. For example, if the diet is supposed to be followed for 10 days, someone might conclude that it would be even better to follow it for 40 days. That's when a serious medical situation could result."

Clemens further cautions, "These diets give you a false sense of security. People think they're doing something healthy, when they're actually doing something detrimental."

Other potential downsides of detox diets include:
• weight can be lost too quickly (not only is this unhealthy, but weight lost rapidly is more likely to return)
• muscle breakdown
• blood-sugar problems
• significant loss of electrolytes
• fatigue
• frequent, liquid bowel movements
• nausea
• vomiting
• decreased ability to fight infections
• a feeling of deprivation (which can lead to binge eating)

While Clemens is convinced that no one should jump on the detox bandwagon, he points out that these diets could prove particularly harmful to certain populations, including: children and adolescents; pregnant or breastfeeding women; individuals with impaired renal function, heart disease, diabetes, bowel disorders or chronic conditions; and those taking blood thinners.

Summing up his stance on detox diets, Clemens observes, "Humans have been endowed with extraordinary systems for eliminating waste and regulating body chemistry. Our lungs, kidneys, liver, gastrointestinal tract and immune system are effective in removing or neutralizing toxic substances within hours of consumption. These detox regimens," he emphasizes, "just aren't necessary. Our bodies are wonderfully well made."

flydhest
08-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Right. Not what I was talking about and glad to see the same generalizations and lack of reflections. I guess I just spent too much time talking to MD/PhDs about the general education of straight MDs.

I wholeheartedly agree that some of the supplement/herbal/syrup-and-cayenne things are nutty.

BCS
08-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Right. Not what I was talking about and glad to see the same generalizations and lack of reflections. I guess I just spent too much time talking to MD/PhDs about the general education of straight MDs.

Not quite sure to what you are referring but I think my advice would be to chill and have an ice cream. Fat makes the brain happy. That is sage advice from an Ivy-League-trained straight MD without a PhD. ;)

rice rocket
08-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Any fast is a great way to slam the brakes on your metabolism.

rugbysecondrow
08-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Stop me if you have heard this one before: an MD and a Moderator walk into a bar...

flydhest
08-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Stop me if you have heard this one before: an MD and a Moderator walk into a bar...

. . . as it turns out, contrary to the evidence, the moderator is actually a reasonable person in real life and buys the first round. They make plans to ride the next day and enjoy it. Then, they have ice cream.

sg8357
08-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Nobody needs to fast, IMHO. You can accomplish the same goals with moderation.

Thinking like this would kill the Diet Industry in the USA, you know how
many jobs we would lose ?

Support our Diet Industrialists, Keep America Fat!!!!

Brought to you Citizens for Food Liberty.

Joachim
08-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Similar to what has been said above about slamming the brake on your metabolism, any fasting will result in your body going into starvation mode by decreasing your metabolic rate...it will hold on to every calorie and will try it's best to store it as fat. Face it, 1gr of fat provides more energy than 1gr of carbohydrate of protein and your body wants to keep you alive when you are starving. The energy is just not that readily available from fats. Once you finish your fasting, not only will you gain weight from a salad you'll probably go over your pre-fast diet weight. One way to overcome this metabolic slowness, is by cycling (not the riding kind) your calorie intake. Just before your body thinks it has to go into starvation mode, you increase your calorie intake and the body happily burns the calories. Decreasing your calorie intake and you will lose weight, increase before going into startvation mode. Different sports use this principle in different ways. Bodybuilding will do carb cycling and try to push their bodies into ketosis depending in which part of their training program they are in (bulking or cutting). For cycling (the riding kind) you can experiment by decreasing you calorie intake on slower/low riding days when you might not burn as much and little higher on high intensity/mileage riding days. Furthermore, you can adjust your type of calories depending on your training sessions; high interval session will burn more carbs relative to fat vs lower intensity riding. At the end of the day, to lose weight you need a negative calorie balance, but not so much that it decreases your metabolism and your body goes into starvation mode. Physiologically there is a bunch of other things going on. Cortisol, cholesterol (yes you need that to make hormones) from fats etc, all of these are thrown out of wack by fasting. There are different takes on dieting and fasting, but this is my educated guess. 10 people will have 10 other educated guesses. Go have an ice-cream....

Just from a straight up PhD, no MD :)

rugbysecondrow
08-29-2011, 01:04 PM
. . . as it turns out, contrary to the evidence, the moderator is actually a reasonable person in real life and buys the first round. They make plans to ride the next day and enjoy it. Then, they have ice cream.

MMMMMMMMMMM, you had me at first round, but to close it out with ice cream... :beer:

Ozz
08-29-2011, 01:09 PM
MMMMMMMMMMM, you had me at first round, but to close it out with ice cream... :beer:
"Guinness Float" anyone? :beer:

Seramount
08-29-2011, 02:00 PM
I saw Fat Sick and Nearly Dead (http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/) on Netflix and I am still thinking about giving the juice fast a try.

timely thread.

the GF (certified nutritionist and acupuncturist) and I watched same movie (Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead) yesterday...the weight-loss results shown in the movie were pretty impressive. one gent lost 200+ lbs and all the subjects greatly improved their overall health and reliance on meds.

however, neither of us has a weight problem...I'm underweight by 5-10 lbs and she's 8% bodyfat.

altho our diets are quite healthy, we are both interested in trying vegetable/fruit juicing as a supplement.

so, I'm interested in what brands/models of juicers anyone would recommend.

rice rocket
08-29-2011, 04:25 PM
she's 8% bodyfat

And she calls herself a certified nutritionist?!

Unless you're a female bodybuilder, women under 10% are considered in near-death states.

firerescuefin
08-29-2011, 04:37 PM
timely thread.

the GF (certified nutritionist and acupuncturist) and I watched same movie (Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead) yesterday...the weight-loss results shown in the movie were pretty impressive. one gent lost 200+ lbs and all the subjects greatly improved their overall health and reliance on meds.

however, neither of us has a weight problem...I'm underweight by 5-10 lbs and she's 8% bodyfat.

altho our diets are quite healthy, we are both interested in trying vegetable/fruit juicing as a supplement.

so, I'm interested in what brands/models of juicers anyone would recommend.

Champion juicer....You'll never have to buy another.

Seramount
08-30-2011, 09:45 AM
And she calls herself a certified nutritionist?!

Unless you're a female bodybuilder, women under 10% are considered in near-death states.

she is a triathlete and just completed a 14-week bootcamp which reduced her bf from 12.1 to 8.3.

her physique is very much on the ripped side and I can assure you, she's nowhere near death.

A1CKot
08-31-2011, 02:32 PM
I wanted to check in and see how it going so far? I hear the first days are the most difficult and you body acts a bit different. Are you using any resources to help guide you through to the end or for recipes? I'm thinking very hard about giving this a try this week but am a little unsure of how to go about it so any help would be appreciated.

Good luck you your fast an I look forward to hearing about how awesome it is :).

goonster
08-31-2011, 02:35 PM
+1, with commercial-grade motor option.

It's the MX Leader of Juicers.

firerescuefin
08-31-2011, 06:58 PM
I wanted to check in and see how it going so far? I hear the first days are the most difficult and you body acts a bit different. Are you using any resources to help guide you through to the end or for recipes? I'm thinking very hard about giving this a try this week but am a little unsure of how to go about it so any help would be appreciated.

Good luck you your fast an I look forward to hearing about how awesome it is :).

5 days in and feel GREAT. It's not really a fast, but a diet that consists of fresh fruit and vegetable juices. I also augment it with whey at breakfast and lunch. My cheat so far was a dinner out with friends where I had a salad with mandarin oranges, strawberries, and raisins...and a light dressing of some sort.

SEABREEZE
08-31-2011, 08:10 PM

I think the Champion is a single cam which they call a slicer but,

Check out the Green Star, twin cam, inwhich fruits and veggies goes between those 2 cams and pressed and more is extracted.

firerescuefin
08-31-2011, 08:26 PM
I think the Champion is a single cam which they call a slicer but,

Check out the Green Star, twin cam, inwhich fruits and veggies goes between those 2 cams and pressed and more is extracted.

The Champion Juicer is a masticating juicer that chews the fibers and breaks up the cells of vegetables and fruits...definitely not a slicer.

Way more than you want to know:

http://discountjuicers.com/bestjuicer.html

Louis
08-31-2011, 08:44 PM
The Champion Juicer is a masticating juicer

Ewwww. That's gross.

I think I'll let my own molars do the masticating.

A1CKot
08-31-2011, 08:45 PM
How easy are juicers to clean. I will most likely not have access to a dish washer.

firerescuefin
08-31-2011, 08:48 PM
How easy are juicers to clean. I will most likely not have access to a dish washer.

Very easy...mine does not go into the dishwasher (often)

goonster
08-31-2011, 09:12 PM
The Champion is super easy to clean. Just rinse under the tap with cold water, then put the pieces in the rack to drip dry.

Much easier than a food processor, for example.

SEABREEZE
08-31-2011, 09:26 PM
The Champion Juicer is a masticating juicer that chews the fibers and breaks up the cells of vegetables and fruits...definitely not a slicer.

Way more than you want to know:

http://discountjuicers.com/bestjuicer.html

Actually what you call chews the fiber they call a cutter, I understand the difference and that its a juicer, but thats the terminology used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugd88icxcVU

Actually the so called cutter is a cam, but just one unlike the GREENSTAR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4cZHktw6T0

firerescuefin
08-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Actually what you call chews the fiber they call a cutter, I understand the difference and that its a juicer, but thats the terminology used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugd88icxcVU

Actually the so called cutter is a cam, but just one unlike the GREENSTAR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4cZHktw6T0

Not trying to be jerky, but there are 3 generally accepted types of juicers: centrifugal, masticating, and triturating juicers. I have never heard the term cutter. The Greenstar is a triturating...and a fine juicer. When I was evaluating them, it seemed like it had quite a few parts and people complained that they were difficult to clean. Seems like a Campy/Shimano thing to me :) ....now go get your juice on!

Edit...I stand corrected in my ignorance ;) . Looks like some call triturating (twin gear) a type of masticating.

http://gluttonforum.com/three-types-of-masticating-juicers-single-cutter-auger-and-twin-gear/

Louis
08-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Sounds like juicing is almost as complicated as mounting tubulars...

A1CKot
09-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Now that I'm super confused with juicer selection, watched like 2 hours of youtube comparisons. How do I know whats going to taste good and what to buy at the super market. I've been living in a dorm environment for the last 4 years and haven't really had to shop for my self... other than you know junk food and booze.

firerescuefin
09-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Now that I'm super confused with juicer selection, watched like 2 hours of youtube comparisons. How do I know whats going to taste good and what to buy at the super market. I've been living in a dorm environment for the last 4 years and haven't really had to shop for my self... other than you know junk food and booze.

PM me your address..I'll drop a book in the mail. I will say if you can afford a masticating juicer over a centrifigul...you'll be happier. Check Craigslist. Juicers are one of those things that people buy with the best of intentions. I picked up a twice used Champion commercial for 100$ 4 years back.

Seramount
09-01-2011, 10:51 AM
I found this page pretty helpful...

http://www.joyfuljuicer.com/vegetable-juicing.html

after a lot of research, we ordered an Omega J8006. should be here soon...will give a review after we test drive it.

liked the low-rpm type as the high-speed types generate enough heat to degrade some of the nutrients.

drugstore.com has them for $240 + free shipping.

plus, this one will make nut butters...hell yeah.

alpsantos
09-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I use a Breville Fountain Plus juicer. It's the same brand used in the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. It's a great juicer - very powerful, very easy to clean and makes juicing fun.

http://www.brevilleusa.com/juicing.html

I started juicing a month ago and feel pretty darn good. My energy level has increased tremendously. I've lost around 8lbs but I'm slim to begin with at 5' 10, 160lbs. I combine juicing with light meals, which still gave me good energy level for cycling and running on a daily basis. As a matter of fact, I just got back from my hour lunch ride and sitting down drinking my meal juice made of carrots, apples and lemon...yum!

For everyday juicing, I use carrots, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupes, peaches, pears, apples and lemon - any of these combination taste great. If you plan to juice vegetables, ie. greens, beets, kale, cucumber, celery, etc., throw in a couple of apples to make it taste better.

Some juice recipe.

http://jointhereboot.com/reboot-program/recipes/juice-recipes/

Don't forget to watch Dan the lifegenerator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bRw0SubNVw&feature=related

Enjoy juicing!

HankHornbuckle
09-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

That, more or less, is the short answer to the supposedly incredibly complicated and confusing question of what we humans should eat in order to be maximally healthy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html

rice rocket
09-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Also, booze heavily.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2017200,00.html

Louis
09-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Consultants, life-coaches, self-help publishers, and various others can't make much money with that approach..

Seramount
09-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Consultants, life-coaches, self-help publishers, and various others can't make much money with that approach..

neither would fast food franchisers, manufacturers of soft drinks and sugary breakfast cereals, and a host of others that provide the masses with crappy, non-nutritional faux food.

A1CKot
09-01-2011, 09:36 PM
PM me your address..I'll drop a book in the mail. I will say if you can afford a masticating juicer over a centrifigul...you'll be happier. Check Craigslist. Juicers are one of those things that people buy with the best of intentions. I picked up a twice used Champion commercial for 100$ 4 years back.

PM sent. I think I'm going to go with theOmega VRT350 (http://www.omegajuicers.com/juicers/masticating-juicers/vert350-juicer.html). It seems to be the best after watching a bunch of reviews. Kind of pricey but it seem to be a quality product that will out last its 10 year warranty. But price aside it should be great and above all else quiet.

SEABREEZE
09-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Happy juicing A1CKot

Try carrots and apple for your first juice.

If you juice oranges, it will taste entirely differnt from squeezed orange juice.Be sure to include the white pithy part, as it contains Bioflavanoids.

If your machine will juice the white portion of a coconut, giving you coconut cream, its the most powerful antioxitant on the planet.

Enjoy...