PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross fork questions

yngpunk
08-27-2011, 09:24 AM
I may be in the market for a cyclocross fork for a Ti cyclocross frame and have a couple of questions:

1) Pros and cons of a carbon fork versus a custom steel fork. Priced about the same, so wondering if one was preferred over the other on a Ti frame.

2) Frame was designed for a fork with 47 mm rake...what could I expect in terms of ride/stability if I used a 45 mm rake fork?

Interested in hearing the collectives' thoughts.

Thanks

Marcusaurelius
08-27-2011, 09:32 AM
I much prefer steel over carbon but that's just me. Carbon might weigh a few grams less but I like feel of steel.

You should be able to get a custom steel cyclocross fork in any rake including 47mm. I believe the alpha q carbon cyclocross fork came in a 47mm rake if you can find a nos one.

djg
08-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Very happy with my current carbon fork -- an Alpha Q (which may be hard to find these days). On prior bikes, I'd had a couple of steel forks -- one excellent and one decent.

I think that there might be a couple of generic differences. One, a great steel cross fork will be heavier than a great (or good) carbon one (I'm not saying that should matter to you at all, just noting a difference that matters to some folks). Two, a good builder who has (or has the specs for) your frame, should be able to build you a steel fork that is at least good and maybe a good deal better than that, in terms of handling; whereas off-the-shelf carbon forks might range from great to lousy. We could add a third, in terms of your ability to repair a seriously dinged or bent steel fork, but that might not come into play. I've fallen plenty, but I've never done serious damage to a cross fork. I guess we could add a fourth -- what looks cool to you, with your frame?

So one key question is this: do you know a good builder who will build you a fork, paint it, and deliver in time for cross season? Time is running out, innit?

6mt
08-27-2011, 01:30 PM
if steel fork would be your ultimate choice, i say just get a a fork from vicious cycle. i have one, and couldn't be happier. the only down side is that my fork is pretty haevy. so it's something like 900+ grams v.s 450+/- grams.

netanimic
08-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Why not a Ti fork?

DfCas
08-27-2011, 05:41 PM
I bent a steel fork in rough riding(no crash), and I replaced it with carbon. I think carbon rides better.

In any case, make sure the fork crown is drilled so you can mount your canti stop on the fork, not on the steerer tube. It helps with brake/fork chatter to mount the stop on the fork.

Note that reke is not the only consideration. You need a fork that meets the original axle-crown measurement.

rockdude
08-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Why not a Ti fork?

Ti forks are great at absorbing bumps but can be a little flexy. For carbon, I would only recommend Edge/enve, Alpha Q cx20, or the Reynolds pro ozno.

povofphilos
08-28-2011, 09:11 AM
i was also looking to swith out my steel for on my nature boy for a carbon.

they had enve forks on bonktown for $275

Gummee
08-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Ti forks are great at absorbing bumps but can be a little flexy. For carbon, I would only recommend Edge/enve, Alpha Q cx20, or the Reynolds pro ozno.Pass on the Reynolds if you're racing. I have a Reynolds Ouzo and while its great for JRA, its flexy enough to get serious chatter braking hard.

HTH

M

rockdude
08-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Pass on the Reynolds if you're racing. I have a Reynolds Ouzo and while its great for JRA, its flexy enough to get serious chatter braking hard.

HTH

M

I found the Reynolds to be as strong or better then the Alpha Q. For sure the edge is the stiffest.

DfCas
08-28-2011, 07:13 PM
I had an Ouzo pro and found it to be quite stiff.

Fork chatter is a brake issue. The Ouzo does not have a hole for a fork mounted stop. I tried mine with V brakes and had no chatter whatsoever, even on a tandem. yes, the Ouzo Pro cross was tandem rated.

ergott
08-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Axle to crown dimension is pretty important too.

Wound Ups are nice and they have a 47mm rake.

Gummee
08-28-2011, 08:15 PM
My next purchase for the bike are CX-9s.

We'll see if that alleviates the problem

M