PDA

View Full Version : Small Change = major pain?

scrooge
07-11-2005, 08:23 PM
I swapped out my pedals today (moved from Look to Time) and wasn't suspecting to notice much of a difference. I confess, I also raised my seat around a third to a half a centimeter (unsure of which way to go (if any) with my new pedals). I didn't see these as major changes and knew they would make a little difference, but when I went for a ride today I felt like crap. I felt like I had no power, and my legs definently felt a lot different than normal (felt it more in my hamstrings and less in my calves).
So--did I feel so lousy because of these slight changes, or was it for other reasons (hot out today, ate poorly etc)? Has anybody else made the change from look to time pedals? Any advice on how to accomodate?

Dr. Doofus
07-11-2005, 08:27 PM
2mm is a huge difference if you ride enough

doof isn't lying when he says he can notice 1mm (the local shop tried to trick him one time...now the paintball man is a believer)

get the stack height difference and make the appropriate change to get you body back into its adapted position

scrooge
07-11-2005, 08:47 PM
2mm is a huge difference if you ride enough

doof isn't lying when he says he can notice 1mm (the local shop tried to trick him one time...now the paintball man is a believer)

get the stack height difference and make the appropriate change to get you body back into its adapted position

Apparently I ride enough. Perhaps I'm over analyzing it, but I think I can even feel it in my arms/upper body.

I know this should be obvious, but how do I figure out the stack height difference? I really need to get things back to "normal."

John H.
07-11-2005, 10:00 PM
5mm raise is a lot. If you moved from look to time at the same time, you likely increased your effective saddle height as well.

Too Tall
07-12-2005, 06:00 AM
F.Y.I.
Stack Heights:
Time Impact Mag 14.56mm
Look CX-7 23.6mm
Look Keo 15.7 (Pedal axle - crank arm distance : 53 mm )
Look old style 21.6

Same shoes?

Ray
07-12-2005, 06:03 AM
So I would think you'd lower your saddle when switching to Time, not raise it. Am I wrong about this? If I'm right, you effectively increased your saddle height by quite a bit. Time also has very different feeling float than Look - self-centering rather than free-float. That could cause you some discomfort if you're not used to it, but shouldn't affect your feeling of power or your upper body position.

-Ray

scrooge
07-12-2005, 06:51 AM
F.Y.I.
Stack Heights:
Time Impact Mag 14.56mm
Look CX-7 23.6mm
Look Keo 15.7 (Pedal axle - crank arm distance : 53 mm )
Look old style 21.6

Same shoes?

Thanks. I suspected eyeballing it was probably not a smart way to go! So I probably should've lowered my seat about 5 mm, correct? (I have old style look, and yes, same shoes).
As you can tell, I'm not a very good spatial thinker.