PDA

View Full Version : bike recommendation for a friend

rinconryder
08-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Big guy, 6'3", 250 almost. Wants a bike for fitness - doesn't want to bend over much so I was thinking a hybrid. Wants wider tires. Probably will spend around $1000 or so. I saw a decent motobecane and specialized has something that will fit the bill, but let me know of any other recommendations.

illuminaught
08-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Tell him to suck it up and get a cx bike. HTFU
Hybrids are tantamount to admitting FAIL status (unless you have a serious shoulder condition).
That being said... trek makes some really nice city bikes... that would fit the hybrid concept... some with belt drives.... look at those maybe?

Pete Serotta
08-26-2011, 04:24 PM
and make sure of fit of whatever bike.

Need the fit right for you want to sit up and thus a good size frame BUT you need to have him sit on it and try for a large frame usually has a too long top tube for the upright position .

that will make you and him unhappy with that long position.

Where are you located or where, in which town, is he looking..

Someone here can even know of a good dealer and fitter for this type of riding.

He does not need to pay for fitting for exercise bike and first ride.

PETE

rugbysecondrow
08-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Tell him to suck it up and get a cx bike. HTFU
Hybrids are tantamount to admitting FAIL status (unless you have a serious shoulder condition).
That being said... trek makes some really nice city bikes... that would fit the hybrid concept... some with belt drives.... look at those maybe?

What a load of crap.

He should get what fits and what is comfortable for him. If it is a hybrid, a townie, a city bike, a ????ing beach cruiser, whatever fits and works for him to get out and pedal is the right bike. If he decides he wants to be a roadie, MTBer or a douchebag hipster, he can go that route later. Just let him be comfortable, enjoy the fitness and freedom of riding and let him see where this recreating takes him.

IJWS
08-26-2011, 05:03 PM
+1 Let the guy pick out a bike that he feels comfortable on...then he'll ride it...and see the light. If he wants your advice, go bike shopping with him and make sure he gets something that fits nicely. Keep in mind that sitting perfectly upright doesn't do anything to absorb impacts from the road.

NRRider
08-26-2011, 05:06 PM
If he decides he wants to be a roadie, MTBer or a douchebag hipster, he can go that route later.
What's distinguishes a DB hipster from a regular one?

biker72
08-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Big guy, 6'3", 250 almost. Wants a bike for fitness - doesn't want to bend over much so I was thinking a hybrid. Wants wider tires. Probably will spend around $1000 or so. I saw a decent motobecane and specialized has something that will fit the bill, but let me know of any other recommendations.
The Specialized Tricross is around $1000, bigger tires,32 spoked wheels, and a more upright position. I have a slightly older model that I bought from a forum member that I really like.

There are really a lot of good choices. Your friend needs to go to a bike shop and ride a few different models to see what works for him. Some shops let you "borrow" a bike for a day.

rugbysecondrow
08-26-2011, 05:09 PM
What's distinguishes a DB hipster from a regular one?

I was being redundant. :)

Ti_on_Steel
08-27-2011, 09:23 AM
I would look at a good touring frame. Maybe a Surly Long Haul Trucker with the 26 inch wheels, or a Surly Cross Check. Steel bikes might be more forgiving for a heavy rider that Al

poguemahone
08-27-2011, 09:41 AM
The Motobecane is a Bikesdirect bike... I recently bought a Mercier Nano thru them, and couldn't be happier with it. That, said, if you're buying from them, be prepared to pull the entire bike apart. Mine had no grease in the headset or front and rear hub.

In addition, to meet price points, BD shaves money off the bike by putting on some crapola parts here and there. Be prepared to replace some of the stock parts. To be fair, this is a problem with a lot of bikes sold via LBSs as well. There's almost nothing of stock left on the top half of my Nano.

Yeah, if he get seriously into riding, he'll likely want something else in time. Get him on a bike that's comfortable first.